French Language On Packaging

varanz

Jan 8, 2006
Christchurch
www.varanz.com
Hey Guys,

Just wondering do you guys care if packaging has French on it or you do not mind if it only has english?

Do you find it a positive thing if a foriegn company goes the extra length to incorporate the French language on packaging?

What do you think of packaging that has both languages on it?

Thanks guys,

Yours responses are very much appreciated,

Yours Sincerely,

Jonathan W Chan

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: French Language On Pa

I personally like it. I don't know why. I do not question why. All i know is that I like it.

Besides, its beside the point. If you want to do business in Canada, you have to label in both languages.

But back to the issue, i like it. How else would i ever learn my french. Hell, even as a kid, and the stock boys would put the cereal french side up, I got all excited when I saw Prix on the box. Hahahah.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like having both languages on packaging. I'm not quite fluent in French yet (only French Twelve education), but I like it; for a foreign company to adhere to our bilingual nature here in Canada is, in my opinion, quite a sign of respect, and I would thank any company who would do so.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
varanz said:
Hey Guys,

Just wondering do you guys care if packaging has French on it or you do not mind if it only has english?

Do you find it a positive thing if a foriegn company goes the extra length to incorporate the French language on packaging?

Thanks guys,

Yours Sincerely,

Jonathan W Chan

Strangely, a lot of Canadian Packaging finds its way to Louisiana in the USA because of large Francophone Population here. Canadian Style Brands and Foods are sold here due to this fact.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
varanz said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks guys,

Yours Sincerely,

Jonathan W Chan

I do not like packages printed in foreign languages of any kind, nor do I like poor translations from say - Japanese. If an item is marketed in the US, then English should be used. It is not a courtesy to me; it is an annoyance. We rarely see French in marketing - rather it's Spanish. I cannot tell you how aggravating it is to open a large electronics box, and then find the instruction book is in Spanish.

Uncle

Nosferax

Nominee Member
And sometimes the translation is funny...
For exemple in Quebec you can find the following gem:

In french: Habitant Soupe aux pois
In english: Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup

The funny thing is that French Canadian Pea Soup is an old english slur type comment about the french canadian...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: French Language On Packaging

FiveParadox said:
I like having both languages on packaging. I'm not quite fluent in French yet (only French Twelve education), but I like it; for a foreign company to adhere to our bilingual nature here in Canada is, in my opinion, quite a sign of respect, and I would thank any company who would do so.

Actually, it's the law.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada

Machjo said:
FiveParadox said:

Actually, it's the law.

You live in China, and you are telling us what the law is? Uh, think again. Besides, it is not the question asked in this post.

Uncle

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
unclepercy said:
I do not like packages printed in foreign languages of any kind,
Uncle

Okay, but French isn't a foreign language in Canada.

L'ok, mais le Français n'est pas une langue étrangère au Canada.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

unclepercy said:
Machjo said:
FiveParadox said:

Actually, it's the law.

You live in China, and you are telling us what the law is? Uh, think again. Besides, it is not the question asked in this post.

Uncle

I was referring to Five Paradox stating that having bilingual packaging is a sign of respect. I was thinking ingredients more specifically, so that's my error. As for packaging, that's different, your right.

And I don't see what where I live has anything to do with it. Yes I made a mystake on a minor detail, maybe just because I wasn't thining at the moment. But again, where I live has no relevance whatsoever on what is or isn't the law in Canada. I fail to see the relationship there.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
DasFX said:
unclepercy said:
I do not like packages printed in foreign languages of any kind,
Uncle

Okay, but French isn't a foreign language in Canada.

L'ok, mais le Français n'est pas une langue étrangère au Canada.

Well in a way it is; just like English, it's a European import.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
The whole world should speak the Queen's English and nothin' but le Queen's English.
:protest:

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
zoofer said:
The whole world should speak the Queen's English and nothin' but le Queen's English.

Exactly Blokes! Prepare to be invaded in the name of Queen Victori'er and the Manchester United football club!! lol.

I don't have a problem with English and French packaging. We have two national languages, so we package in both languages. Simple.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
zoofer said:

I would believe you Zoof, if it wasn't for the fact the Queen speaks perfect French!

:)

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I don't see how another language on a product changes the product in anyway. Most of the things in my house as I read them have 2-5 languages on them. As for french I think if the company wants the french market (why wouldn't they) they would take the time to hire a french speaking person to translate what they need onto the product.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Army trys to cut costs with manuals only in English
Documents related to new vehicle bound for English-only unit
David Pugliese
CanWest News Service

Saturday, February 11, 2006
The Canadian Force's new high-tech armoured vehicle will be operated by an English-only unit with the army planning to save time and money by not translating documents and equipment manuals related to the $700-million purchase, according to a report obtained by the Ottawa Citizen.

The unusual arrangement with the Mobile Gun System (MGS) comes as the Defence department is already under fire for shirking its responsibilities to official bilingualism. The MGS, the first of which is expected to arrive in 2008, is one of the key pillars of Chief of the Defence Staff General Rick Hillier's future Canadian Forces.

Military equipment in Canada is usually supplied with manuals and support material in both official languages. But defence planners hope to save money by cutting out French-language content on the MGS, which will eventually be based in Edmonton. "Translations will have unnecessary impact on costs and scope of work, especially for [the] first 16 MGSs," notes one report produced in November, 2004, and recently released under the Access to Information law.

The military plans to seek an exemption from translating any documentation regarding the MGSs, although health, security and safety signs will remain bilingual. "Whenever possible, graphic symbols will be used in lieu of written signage," officers recommend in the report.

In total, the Canadian Forces will purchase 66 MGSs. The vehicle is now under development in the United States for the American military. Canadian officers say they are trying to cut down on the amount of "Canadianization" needed on the 66 vehicles so they can be delivered faster and at less cost. Most of that type of work involves installing Canadian communications gear.

The wheeled MGS, equipped with a 105mm gun, will be operated by the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) based in Edmonton.

But the MGS has had its share of critics in and out of the military. Some officers have pointed out that the MGS is based on technology that will be outdated over the next 10 years. Others have warned its light armour puts troops at risk. A study conducted in 2003 also questioned whether the vehicle was needed for the army's future transformation.

Lieutenant-Colonel Chuck Armstrong, who is responsible for unit language designations, said there are two English-language armoured regiments and one French-language armoured regiment in the Canadian Forces. That provides opportunity for English- or French-speaking Canadians to serve in the unit that meets their language needs.

But last Tuesday, the country's Commissioner of Official Languages took the Defence department to task on its commitment to bilingualism. Dyane Adam recommended that by next year, bilingualism be a requirement for promotion for officers at the rank of colonel or naval captain and above.

Ms. Adam criticized military supervisors at National Defence headquarters in Ottawa for not providing a truly bilingual environment. "After 35 years of official bilingualism, most institutions have increased their bilingual capacity because they have invested in training, but we do not see that progress at National Defence," she said.

The audit was launched after Ms. Adam's office received more than 40 complaints from employees, claiming the Defence department failed to provide a bilingual work environment. The focus of the audit was the defence headquarters. Among the complaints were that employees were not supervised in their own language and that there was a lack of French software and computer keyboards equipped with French accents.

Defence officials, however, have challenged the audit's conclusions. They noted that all officers of the rank of lieutenant-general and higher are bilingual and 70% of newly-promoted colonels and naval captains are bilingual.

Link

...and here it gets stupid.