Canadian Idioms (Canadian Idioms)

EA Casey
Hoser- very Candian, hockey related. A hoser originates from the time before Zamboni's (ice cleaning vehicles). The losing team in the game would have to hose down and scrape the ice after the game, thus becoming a hoser..

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by TruekiwijokerView Post

Don't canadians say Aboot instead of about?

No we don't. That is an American exaggeration on a minor difference in pronunciation that most people can't hear. What we do hear is Americans pronouncing "roof" like "ruff."

damngrumpy
Eh is a standard word I have heard it used by the working folks and the upper crust if you
will, also. Its a nice day eh (A) There are all kinds of them from different regions of this
country. Go to Cape Breton for example, now there is a language you could have some
trouble with. I swear my cousins got rid of the letter O and replaced it with an accent
of its own. I was born there and I don't have the accent anymore but give me an hour with
close relatives and you wouldn't know it. It is a regional and historic accented language.
It is sometimes Gaelic, native, Bostonian, and French influences. Combine that with a
little Newfoundland accent and stir it up. Its like eating bits and bites the inflections are
different depending on who you are talking to. The problem is you notice it and they don't
because the are speaking it all the time. The other wonderful thing about Newfoundland
and Capers, is they talk really fast so you have to listen. You are interpreting sentence
one and they are on sentence five. Now I know some will say no way, but you have to go
there. Its steeped in history, natural beauty and the finest people you ever would want to
meet. They would give you the shirt off their back.
In the west it is entirely different.