Krispy Kreme failing in Canada

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, I predicted a failing Krispy Kreme a few months ago when we drove by one which was totally empty. The first and second day was a lineup going about 1/2km long! Needless to say, the franchise in Richmond Hill, ON is now all boarded up and the logo has been dismantled.

KremeKo Inc. was supposed to be Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc.'s vehicle for spreading the Krispy Kreme brand across much of Canada.

Instead, the troubled franchisee - in which a Krispy Kreme subsidiary holds a 41 percent stake - is struggling to survive. The subsidiary, Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corp., has also helped bail out KremeKo financially.

Goes on to say...

Krispy Kreme filed the application with the Canadian court "on an extremely urgent basis" because KremeKo was insolvent and unable to meet key financial obligations, including rent and payroll, and its board of directors had resigned on April 12.

The court documents include an operating plan for KremeKo that calls for cutting jobs at the franchisee's headquarters and for it to develop a plan for closing poorly performing stores. It employs 20 people at its headquarters, Phalen's affidavit said. KremeKo has 12 stores.

[Source Link]

As for my personal thoughts on saying Bye Bye Krispy Kreme ... I couldn't be more happy! Not only are they disgusting donuts, but it's worse to eat one donut from them than it is to drink a 24-case of coke! Yuck. We don't need more obesity in this country.

Long live Tim Hortons (mind you, I don't drink their coffee or eat the donuts either... Long live Second Cup in my case).

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver
For the sake of the health of my fellow Canadians, I can only agree that the death (if that's not too premature) of Krispy Kreme is welcomed. Sounds like there is some trouble with the SEC in the U.S. Another dodgy franchise?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Blah! disquisting is not the word for it. You know there is a donut place in Port Alberni where they make all the donuts from scratch. 8O 8O Now that is a donut...only occasionally tho :wink:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
peapod said:
Blah! disquisting is not the word for it. You know there is a donut place in Port Alberni where they make all the donuts from scratch. 8O 8O Now that is a donut...only occasionally tho :wink:

They make them from scratch at Krispy Kreme, but I tell ya, don't squeeze too hard on that donut or else you'll get grease dripping on your shirt.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Andem said:
Not only are they disgusting donuts, but it's worse to eat one donut from them than it is to drink a 24-case of coke!

I ate one of those stupid donuts...my teeth fell out. I couldn't believe how bad they were.

I stopped eating donuts after watching the Discovery Channel, where a food scientist analyzed the difference between the Tim Horton’s Donuts and the Krispy Kreem varieties. He had a test tube about half full of fat....when Jay (from Discovery Channel) asked him if that was from one donut the scientist said no, it was from about half a donut.....I haven’t eaten another one since.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Krispy Kreme failing

So the novelty has worn off.

I personally thought that they were way way too sweet. We periodically had them brought in by clients coming from Washington so I never felt the need to stand for 4 hrs the lineup when they first opened. I already knew they were gross.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

They opened one here down the road in North Delta, last year.

It was real busy at first, now it is almost "dead". There was 1 Tim Hortons around and one mini one when they opened and now 3 Tim Hortons plus a couple mini Tims in Esso's around.

I think Krispy Kreme had horrible coffee and there donuts were so expensive. You can get 3 dozen at Tim's for price of two at Krispy.

The problem with Krispy Kreme is the were a one item place. They pushed thier one item (that one "signature" donut, which I can not think of at the moment) and thats not a wise business decision. Plus they were over priced and their non "signature" donuts were not that good.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Their coffee kind of tastes like a really bad variety of Starbucks blends. The best way I can describe their coffee is it's over-extracted.

I'm happy they aren't taking off in Canada like they thought they would, I was even happier when I saw our local Krispy Kreme go under after being open for only a few months.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

You haven't tasted bad coffee till you've tried Dunkin Donuts

It can't possibly be any worse then the Shell stations (Scott and 96th) coffee. Dog piss is better.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Look I keep telling you people!!!!! Starbucks roasts its coffee in a special way, and the beans are high quality, unlike other establishments I shall not mention :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Starbucks roasts its coffee in a special way

I remember well the summer they brought in their very specially roasted coffee. I can't remember the name of the coffee. I can only remember the cost and the method of ...curing...it received.

$8.00/cup. comes from the excrement of a forest cat.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Peapod, you really don't have to defend starbucks... it doesn't work with me :) I'll take a second cup any day over a starbucks.

Dunkin Donuts, YUCK!! Their food and coffee are both equally horrible.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
boulderdash!!! Okay try this...my starbucks has yummy young studs. Thats right..eye candy at its finest....and they all say...peapod we love you, your are cooler than cool 8) 8) At starbucks the truth is alway revealed......*sigh* * its hard being me*

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Ah, the Starbucks lads.

Too bad for you peapod, as I hear it 80% of them are gay! Such a stereotype, but such a true stereotype here in Toronto.