Alanis takes U.S. citizenship

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I've never been a fan. I remember when she was a rap singer singing "Always Too Hot" with the deep, memorable linge "put your hands in the air, and wave them like you just dont care". Then, all of a sudden, she's an angry rock chick and we're suppose to forget the candy pop. Remember the Juno's, where she said she was glad to be back in Canada, the real land of the free? I guess that was as fake a statement as her music.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I was surprised and disappointed to hear this. I felt the same sort of betrayal when Jim Carey and Michael J. Fox did the same.

But if they want to turn their back on their roots and country and join the Americans then to hell with them. I guess they are not proud of their country and grateful that they would not be where they are today without Canada, then who needs them? I sure in hell do not.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Thats why I like bands like Blue Rodeo, Sloan, and the Rheostatics. True Canadian talent. They have never felt a need to try to break into the American mainstream. Alanis would do anything to be famouse in the states, good Canadian bands are talented and just love music.

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
you all can have her back, lol. (for real).
I can't think of any popular Canadian singers/bands that I like......bare naked ladies, alanis, celine-ehhhct.
Shania's music doesn't repulse me, but I don't really like it.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
you all can have her back, lol.

Good call, jamie: You should take Hunter Thompson's lead, and fire her back over the border from a cannon. And Canada; make ready the giant tilting trampoline.

While I agree that Canada has produced it's fair share of sonic criminals (I'm thinking Brian Adams, Shania, Alanis, Avril, Celine etc), it's not all bad (Leonard Cohen, k.d. Lang, Robbie Robertson, possibly Steppenwolf and Martha and the Muffins (well, Echo Beach, at least) amongst others). And any crime is more than made up for by giving the world the great Neil Young. :D

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Alanis takes U.S. cit

Plus Ronnie Hawkins not only moved to Canada, but smoked dope with John Lennon and Pierre Trudeau at the same time. Looking at the talent exchange, I'd say we've gotten the better of the bargain.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
As much as I Love Neil Young,he might as well be an American..spending several decades living and working there certainly qualifies . Joni Mitchell is another of my favourite Canadian artists, and she,too,has lived in the States most of her life. It's almost impossible for a musician to make a decent living here because the gigs are so bloody far apart,so I don't fault anyone[even Ms.Morrisette] from going there to further their careers.

Bozono

Mar 6, 2005
416er

It's a necessity for most of the entertainment business. I just heard there's over a half million Canucks in L.A alone. These people, after a certain amount of success, have to spend all their time in America anyway. But, all the same, screw 'em and throw 'em in the export bin.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Any Canadian singer or band that says they do not care about making it big in the USA is just crying "sour grapes" because they failed to make an impression on the industry there. Even the Hip had a go at it!

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Very true. He sawthat there was a big acceptance of his hard rockabilly sound up here in the great White North and has done well here,while his peers mostly were left behind when the music changed. Jessie Winchester and Nanette Workman are two more who have done good business since moving here.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yeah but The Hawk actually shared a joint with Pierre Trudeau and John Lennon at the same time. Now that's cool. ;-)

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The Band, Crowbar and King Buiscuit Boy were all members of his backing band,The Hawks, at various times. just another reason to be grateful for ronnie becoming Canadian!

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
In the coming weeks,Alannis is going to be place on our Walk Of Fame,along with Paul Anka.Seems like the way to get on the walk is to become American citizens :p

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Alanis would have been hard to ignore...she had the top album of her decade, didn't she?

I think her choice has more to do with money and the ease of touring etc.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Alanis takes U.S. cit

Reverend Blair said:
Alanis would have been hard to ignore...she had the top album of her decade, didn't she?

I think her choice has more to do with money and the ease of touring etc.

Isn't it the best selling album ever?

She is an extremely talented woman.