Thoughts on male modesty?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
We often talk about modesty as it applies to women, that they should dress modestly, act modestly, etc.

But how does it apply to men? For example, is it (or should it be) acceptable for a man to walk around downtown shirtless and dresed like Tarzan? What about the man who drinks to excess? Etc.

When we talk about modesty, why do we always seem to apply it to women only?

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
People can dress how they choose. Modesty is just how sensitive you are to what other people are saying or thinking about your exhibitionism.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
People can dress how they choose. Modesty is just how sensitive you are to what other people are saying or thinking about your exhibitionism.

Yet if a woman walks out of the house bare-breasted, she'd be judged for her immodesty. So why is it okay for a man to go out to town dressed like Tarzan?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Is Tarzan exposing his junk?

No. But if a woman goes out topless, not acceptable. So why is it okay for a man to walk around topless downtown?

If a woman gets drunk and raped, people say it's her fault. If a man gets drunk and robbed, assaulted, etc., somehow not his fault.

So, if we hold women to a standard of modesty (and rightfully so), then why not men too?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
In this rainbow age I'm not sure the rules may have changed

I think she can wear whatever the freak she wants to
lol

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No. But if a woman goes out topless, not acceptable. So why is it okay for a man to walk around topless downtown?

If a woman gets drunk and raped, people say it's her fault. If a man gets drunk and robbed, assaulted, etc., somehow not his fault.

So, if we hold women to a standard of modesty (and rightfully so), then why not men too?

It's not illegal for women to go topless so why aren't we seeing bare boobs bouncing around downtown?

She is allowed to in Ontario and a couple of other places. Perfectly legal.

As to judging, both are judged.

being topless is not indecent within the meaning of the Criminal Code

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It's not illegal for women to go topless so why aren't we seeing bare boobs bouncing around downtown?

I actually saw it once. I think she was trying to make a statement, with others standing around her and her trying to hide it for the most part.

On the same day or thereabouts, I also saw men walking about with their t-shirts hanging from their shorts, apparently shameless about it. Why were they acting so differently than she was. At least she tried to hide it somewhat. The guys just strutted their stuff.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
if it's legal, then the only person whom anyone should be concerned with is themselves.

If I'm topless and someone is mentally disapproving, too bad. They're not my kind of people.

I have no problem with people dressed as they like or undressed as they like.

I'm a huge fan of radical inclusion and participate in organized radical inclusion events as often as possible. There is nothing as freeing as being exactly who you want to be and knowing that all those around you feel as you do and are not judging you for it.

having said all that, it does remove the naughty factor on skinny dipping...lol. oh well.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

being topless is not indecent within the meaning of the Criminal Code

I'm talking not about the law, but about culture.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I actually saw it once. I think she was trying to make a statement, with others standing around her and her trying to hide it for the most part.

On the same day or thereabouts, I also saw men walking about with their t-shirts hanging from their shorts, apparently shameless about it. Why were they acting so differently than she was. At least she tried to hide it somewhat. The guys just strutted their stuff.

Maybe women are self conscious about their boobs and just don't want to walk around exposed? Nothing is stopping them.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When we talk about modesty, why do we always seem to apply it to women only?

Because we live in a patriarchal society with a history of seeing women not as people but as the property of men. We've moved passed a lot of that socially and legally, but in general society sees female bodies and female sexuality as a public concern, not a personal one. Men, other women, the workplace, schools and religion all claim ownership of the female body and police it.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Because we live in a patriarchal society with a history of seeing women not as people but as the property of men. We've moved passed a lot of that socially and legally, but in general society sees female bodies and female sexuality as a public concern, not a personal one. Men, other women, the workplace, schools and religion all claim ownership of the female body and police it.

Yet we give no second thought to men playing volleyball shirtless at the beach, or drinking till they pass out on the floor, walking around town dressed like Tarzan, etc.

If a woman sleeps around, she's a ****. If a man does the same, he's a stud. The examples go on.

So, should we hold boys and men to a certain standard of modesty in their behaviour at least equal to that to which we hold girls and women?

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hey donut bumper. It's a personal choice not to go topless. Not that long ago both men and women faced the same laws and had to be covered. It has sweet f-ck all to do with patriarchal.