Danish Flag added to Canadian Content

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
With standing in solidarity with Denmark and the rest of the free world, I've added a Danish flag to the top of the site header. This has gone on too long and the more people who lend their support to freedom and freedom of press, the stronger we will all be.

:)

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I'm all for supporting the Danish or at least the right for free speech, but I do not think it is right for a "public" site like this to chose side's so in your face like. I think we all show our belief in this matter by how we post and having the Danish flag up there may discourage Muslim-Canadian's from posting or coming here.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Finder said:
I'm all for supporting the Danish or at least the right for free speech, but I do not think it is right for a "public" site like this to chose side's so in your face like. I think we all show our belief in this matter by how we post and having the Danish flag up there may discourage Muslim-Canadian's from posting or coming here.

Denmark as a country isn't anti-muslim or anti-muslim-canadian.. They are pro-free-speech and the actions of private company in their country don't necessarily reflect on Danish people or Denmark its self. If a Muslim-Canadian can't appreciate that, then they don't have to sign up to these forums. We're showing our solidarity with Denmark by using these means. It's not exactly in your face either, it's simply a small image near the top of the screen.. I'd say that my signature is in your face, though.

twotoques

Jan 7, 2006
South Bruce Peninsula
Andem said:
This has gone on too long and the more people who lend their support to freedom and freedom of press, the stronger we will all be.

It seems that the endless Mohammed cartoon protests are backfiring because now cartoons & jokes about the protesters are appearing all over the internet.

Most people, except for terminally politically correct types, are getting bored with this nonsense. Apparently moderate muslims realize this fact.

http://cartoonbox.slate.com/hottopic/?image=1&topicid=11

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Actually the longer the muslims continue as they do,
the more you will see the Liberals and Conservatives
of the Western world unite, regardless of our self knowlege of hypocrisy.

We're going to find out how little they know of us,
how obtuse their understanding of who we are.

We're learning more about ourselves and them than
they are.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I urge you to reconsider, Andem.

For Canadian Content to take such a position on the topic, as a whole, when there is such controversy surrounding the issue, is not a wise decision, with all due respect. Perhaps a public statement outlining the official position of the Administration would be more in order, rather than making a representation of the entire membership.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
FiveParadox, the definition of freedom absolutely requires the freedom to offend, and there is no sacred
cow immune from a cartoon.

You must graduate from appeasement into some
tougher stock.

We all learn how to grow up and handle verbal insults
and none of us are so self-sacred as to be beyond
all reproach.

Apparently acid comedy is king, and drama is for Queens.

Let them have their self righteous temper tantrum.

Let them face it.

Self righteous drama queens.

Appeasing a drama queen is plainly stupid.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Recommendation Withdrawn

:? I see.

However, as the Right Honourable Stephen Harper has indicated, we must also recognize the right of people to protest others' use of that freedom of speech; are we going to post some kind of Muslim symbol, too, to support their right to the freedom of speech?

For the Administration to make a representation of the entire membership, and Canadian Content as a whole, is an inappropriate action for an organization such as this to make, in my opinion. While I respect whatever decision the Admins may make in this regard, that doesn't mean I have to necessarily agree.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: Recommendation Withdrawn

FiveParadox said:
:? I see.

However, as the Right Honourable Stephen Harper has indicated, we must also recognize the right of people to protest others' use of that freedom of speech; are we going to post some kind of Muslim symbol, too, to support their right to the freedom of speech?

For the Administration to make a representation of the entire membership, and Canadian Content as a whole, is an inappropriate action for an organization such as this to make, in my opinion. While I respect whatever decision the Admins may make in this regard, that doesn't mean I have to necessarily agree.

Then feel free to use the Moon God as your avatar. When it's your right to ad things to your boards hearder, you can do so then too.

bu-bye. :)

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Five, the Ruling Government of Denmark didn't have a choice on the Cartoons being published, it was Freedom of the Press. The flag of Denmark represents the rights of Govenment to not surpress those rights. The flag is not a symbol that insults any religion it just shows support for that Country and the hell it is being put through because of a Cartoon that a group found offensive.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
FiveParadox, being the preacher of tolerance
and free expression should certainly subscribe
to what Sassylassie said.

Where's Jo Canadian's cartoons ?

Let's slam every righteous pomposity there is.

Even of ourselves, and lord knows we've all seen a lot
of that.

Do the muslims poke at themselves ?

Do they dare ?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Five, with your ethics you should run for politics. I'm not kidding, you have wonderful Moral Fiber there son. I will be the first to vote for you.