Historic First: North Atlantic EMPTY of Cargo Ships in-transit

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
^ Jan 10 10:02

Historic First: North Atlantic EMPTY of Cargo Ships in-transit - ALL anchored along coasts; none moving

Commerce between Europe and North America has literally come to a halt. For the first time in known history, not one cargo ship is in-transit in the North Atlantic between Europe and North America. All of them (hundreds) are either anchored offshore or in-port. NOTHING is moving.
This has never happened before. It is a horrific economic sign; proof that commerce is literally stopped.
The reason commerce has stopped is simple: People are not buying things. When people do not buy things, retailers do not sell things, so they do not order more goods for stock.
When retailers do not order goods, manufacturers don't make anything because there are no orders to fill. When manufacturers do not make goods, they don't order raw materials for manufacturing.
When there are no orders for raw materials, commodities sellers do not sell raw materials. When no raw materials are sold, there is no shipping by large cargo ships, (or railroads or tractor trailers) to move anything.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
|Petros I am happy I don't need to grow anything if no one is eating.
No we are heading into a massive recession based on the ills created
by those in power going back several years. In 2008 governments
kicked the problem down the road and China is actually the biggest
offender in this. They are at a standstill as factory jobs shrink.
The instability created by the invasion and destruction of Iraq is also
playing a lead role. America is in a hell of a state. It needs Iran on
side to fight ISIS and its needs the Saudi's to be strong in the region.
Now it looks like those two are going to fight each other, all brought
to you by American foreign policy. Saddam should have been left alone.
it appears but then we had to dictate democracy to a region that either
doesn't want it or wasn't ready for it.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
^ Jan 10 10:02

Historic First: North Atlantic EMPTY of Cargo Ships in-transit - ALL anchored along coasts; none moving

Commerce between Europe and North America has literally come to a halt. For the first time in known history, not one cargo ship is in-transit in the North Atlantic between Europe and North America. All of them (hundreds) are either anchored offshore or in-port. NOTHING is moving.
This has never happened before. It is a horrific economic sign; proof that commerce is literally stopped.
The reason commerce has stopped is simple: People are not buying things. When people do not buy things, retailers do not sell things, so they do not order more goods for stock.
When retailers do not order goods, manufacturers don't make anything because there are no orders to fill. When manufacturers do not make goods, they don't order raw materials for manufacturing.
When there are no orders for raw materials, commodities sellers do not sell raw materials. When no raw materials are sold, there is no shipping by large cargo ships, (or railroads or tractor trailers) to move anything.

who needs to buy anything, when you can make everything yourself.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
This weekend I went to Lethbridge, bought a new winter jacket, two pair of dress pants, took the girlfriend to The Keg, got a hotel room Saturday night and took my daughter and her boyfriend out for breakfast this morning. Nobody informed me that commerce had stopped.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Why couldn't you have posted a thread about Freeland and the governments plan for opening free trade with India and China?

Like seriously your thread was doomed to fail, it hasn't encouraged debate

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Why couldn't you have posted a thread about Freeland and the governments plan for opening free trade with India and China?

Like seriously your thread was doomed to fail, it hasn't encouraged debate

It will when retail numbers come out.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The only thing I buy, is stuff to make stuff ;)

I buy new surplus parts, hydraulics, engines, bearings, that sort of component. Middle of last year the availability dropped, that availability was there in the first place because of slowdown in finished product demand. It seems that over inventory is drying up. At least in my area of interest. So I also buy stuff to make stuff. Small machines, farm and forest, wood processors, tractors, hydraulic power units etc.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I buy new surplus parts, hydraulics, engines, bearings, that sort of component. Middle of last year the availability dropped, that availability was there in the first place because of slowdown in finished product demand. It seems that over inventory is drying up. At least in my area of interest. So I also buy stuff to make stuff. Small machines, farm and forest, wood processors, tractors, hydraulic power units etc.

Good man! Sounds like you will do fine even with a slowdown ;)