Comparing Apple’s and Big Oil’s profits – in one chart

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda:

Things You'll Never See On The CBC

Comparing Apple’s and Big Oil’s profits – in one chart | Plugged In, Scientific American Blog Network

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's not comparing their profits. It's comparing their margins. Two completely different concepts.

and looking at the charts, the oil companies really don't seem to have much room in their margins to come down, whereas Apple is making a huge margin and has lots of room to come down and make their product more affordable.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
and looking at the charts, the oil companies really don't seem to have much room in their margins to come down, whereas Apple is making a huge margin and has lots of room to come down and make their product more affordable.

I hope no one is holding their breath waiting for that to happen. 8O

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Yes but apple innovates in new products and the other two are in some of the most established ,long standing markets in the world.

It really is like looking at apples and oranges.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yes but apple innovates in new products and the other two are in some of the most established ,long standing markets in the world.

It really is like looking at apples and oranges.

it's looking at the margins only. There is no apples and oranges, only profit margins.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
If you add tax to those margins to get a sense of consumer cost, and you would have a different story.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If you add tax to those margins to get a sense of consumer cost, and you would have a different story.

As in oil companies and their products are taxed at a much higher rate and by more jurisdictions than Apple? Also have many more controls on the production and distribution of their product while Apple manufactures in a third wirld country with zero environmental laws.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

If people are paying the current price, why would they reduce it? It's a dream situation for a businessman to have consumers willing to pay more than you need to make a profit.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Oh hell. You want some real profit margin go into clothing and textiles. Jeans and t-shirts average between 300-500% with some top brands like Levis going over 600%. Now that is a margin worth complaining about.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh hell. You want some real profit margin go into clothing and textiles. Jeans and t-shirts average between 300-500% with some top brands like Levis going over 600%. Now that is a margin worth complaining about.

are you talking margin or markup?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I've seen news coverage on CBC where they mentioned the size
and profits of companies and I think every network has stated
Apple is by far the leader when it comes to companies.
Oil Companies are not a clean industry product and people will
always react to that. The other problem is we all use the oil that
many condemn. Today people are stampeded by pipelines and
the companies that lay them in the ground.
Personally I don't have a problem with east/west pipelines or
Kinder Morgan to the coast. Northern Gateway is being proposed
by a company that has a poor track record that is why i am opposed.
XL I am against because the oil going south will be refined outside
the country, and it will be exported not use in America two reason I
don't like it.
As for profits, profits are misleading in and of themselves. Most are
public companies and many do not understand a profit means their
pension fund is healthier than if they didn't make a profit.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

are you talking margin or markup?

come on nicki, it's a real easy question. You do know the difference between markup and margin, right?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yep. Considering the several years I was in sales I would damn well hkpe so anyway.

Margin.

Then I call you on your bullshyte. You can't have a margin above 100%. It is mathematically impossible when there is a cost involved.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Markup vs. Margin. What is the Difference?
Markup vs Margin Differences
Is there a difference? Absolutely. More and more in today’s environment, these two terms are being used interchangeably to mean gross margin, but that misunderstanding may be the menace of the bottom line. Markup and profit are not the same! Also, the accounting for margin and mark-up are different! A clear understanding and application of the two within a pricing model can have a drastic impact on the bottom line. Terminology speaking, markup percentage is the percentage difference between the actual cost and the selling price, while gross margin percentage is the percentage difference between the selling price and the profit.
Markup vs. Margin. What is the Difference? – Consero Global

ROFLMAO

Then I call you on your bullshyte.

Very, very good call.