Does morality even matter in secular education?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh dear! Another religious zealot. I have been listening to Led Zeppelin for over 40 years and I have never done cocaine or heroin. They were and still are one of the most original and artistic bands to come out of the 20th century.

Christians do not have a monopoly on morality. Neither do they have monopolies on hypocrisy, fanaticism or fundamentalism, but they can make asses of themselves just like anybody else. You can believe what you want, but do not try to foist your brand of "morality" on the rst of the community. You are out numbered by those who do not share you brand of fanaticism. Pray for your own salvation but keep it out of the faces of the rest of us.

adopted

Electoral Member
Sep 23, 2008
BC
looseassociations.wordpress.com
My Lord was out-numbered; yet in those moments He accomplished the greatest victory of love (with you and me in mind) that turned this world upside-down. You think like a man, because you are a man. You are of this world; He is not of this world.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I read the first paragraph, and when I realized the fuss was about a Led Zeppelin poster, I stopped reading.

I mean, really. Give your head a shake.

adopted

Electoral Member
Sep 23, 2008
BC
looseassociations.wordpress.com
60 years ago led zeppelin would be hauled off stage in a paddy wagon. they were "right" back then, just like we are "right" now, and the romans watching gladiators kill each other were "right." see, there is no absolute sense of right and wrong. you all drift around on sand and you're happy about it. it's shameful. 50 years from now, people might be appalled at our drug-rock culture.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Those 10 minutes might urge you to repent; otherwise, they will stand against you in your condemnation. There's more going on than "time." When will we get serious?

When will we get serious?

Probably when people stop being so damn anal about the most trivial and stupid things.

It was a poster.... a poster for Led Zeppelin... they were one of the biggest rock bands of the 70's known all around the world, still played today and still have many many fans today.... Rock being Music.... the teacher who put the poster up in the school was a music teacher and the poster was put up in his music class.

The Poster's meaning in the class room, if it has any at all, is to show the students that if you work hard at music, practice as hard as you can, and believe in what you're doing, you can make music that is heard all around the world, by countless people and listened to for years to come.

Putting up a poster for Led Zep in a music class isn't any different then putting up a poster for Beethoven.

Does the poster show the band members doing drugs? Does the poster have anything on it relating to the use of drugs?

No.

All this twit is doing is taking what one band member said about starting the band and thinking that's what everybody in the band believes, what all their fans believe, and that all their fans must be drugged up junkies..... thus because of this, the teacher must also be a drugged up junkie and wanting the students to be drugged up junkies.

Do you even know not only how much of a ridiculous stretch that argument is, but also how completely stupid that argument sounds?

No wonder why this clown was ignored and never got any replies from so many for so long.... this person's argument is baseless and fearmongering over a problem that simply doesn't exist.

In fact, I got perhaps about 1/3 of the way through that long winded dribble and stopped reading.

Their argument about the creepy looking cowboy smoking cigs has no relation to the led zep poster, and if anybody can't understand why it has no relation, then they shouldn't even be getting involved in this argument, because they have no clue about advertising or the messages contained in various forms of advertisement.

When I hear the name Led Zeppelin, when I see an album, when I see one of their posters, when I see one of their live performances on video, when I hear their music and when I hear other people talking about them, Drugs are not the first thing that crosses my mind..... not even the second thing.

Music is..... it's music that generally relates to their name, and it's music that most people think about when they hear the name themselves.

Thinking that every single thing they did, every single poster or artwork relating to them and all their song all have to do with drugs, promotes drugs, and everybody and their kid should be doing drugs.... thus the teacher is also promoting his/her students to do drugs..... it's the stupidest thing I've heard all week.

Seriously, there's more important things for people to be fighting then a stupid paper poster pinned up in the back of some random music class that most of the children probably don't even notice in the first place.

Get a frigging grip.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This much outrage over a poster?

60 years ago led zeppelin would be hauled off stage in a paddy wagon. they were "right" back then, just like we are "right" now, and the romans watching gladiators kill each other were "right." see, there is no absolute sense of right and wrong. you all drift around on sand and you're happy about it. it's shameful. 50 years from now, people might be appalled at our drug-rock culture.

So since you are so incensed with the "drug-rock" culture, I assume you equally against the alcholic and substance abuse culture of country music as well? Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings used enough narcotics throughout their careers to build a cartel... and some still of their compatriots still are. My wife watched the CMAs a year or two ago and they were all joking about going and smoking weed in Willie's tour bus.

I'm just surprised you're not ranting about the satanic worship in the old Black Sabbath lyrics yet ... :roll:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
60 years ago led zeppelin would be hauled off stage in a paddy wagon.

Yeah and black people were forced to sit in the back of buses, use different washrooms, and sit far away from all the white folk in restaurants. Children were regularly beaten for the smallest infraction, women still greatly oppressed, wives could hardly get a decent job and the KKK reigned supreme.... such a great era to live in. :roll:

they were "right" back then, just like we are "right" now,

Sez you..... societies change for a reason.... the reason why society isn't like that anymore is because those morons were ignorant & wrong.

and the romans watching gladiators kill each other were "right." see, there is no absolute sense of right and wrong.

Then how can you say they were right and now you're right?

you all drift around on sand and you're happy about it. it's shameful. 50 years from now, people might be appalled at our drug-rock culture.

Or Envy it.... Time will tell.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
This much outrage over a poster?

So since you are so incensed with the "drug-rock" culture, I assume you equally against the alcholic and substance abuse culture of country music as well? Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings used enough narcotics throughout their careers to build a cartel... and some still of their compatriots still are. My wife watched the CMAs a year or two ago and they were all joking about going and smoking weed in Willie's tour bus.

I'm just surprised you're not ranting about the satanic worship in the old Black Sabbath lyrics yet ... :roll:

Or Ozzy's Suicide Solution..... You know.... all this talk about rock and drugs made me horny.... I'm gonna go smoke some crack, inject heroin into my ass, slip some LSD into my eye lids and go find some prostitutes. Rock on everybody.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Haven't many musicians and artists and sculptors, and dancers been something of a societal outcast over the ages?

I hardly think all of them were devoutly devoted to religion unless they earned money through church sponsorship of their works. Or do I believe their other focus (usually on self) is damnation itself. In fact I see judgment over others as another "damnation".... so who are we to set down the rules?

Artistic endeavour has often taken "another path" to salvation because creative people are wired a bit differently and to some members of society appear to be
indifferent to any higher power "other than themselves".

It may be the artistic and creative energy required of truly gifted people to see
only themselves in reference to the world.

Why they need enhancement with mind altering drugs I'll never know - so many are already "enhanced".

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't want to sound jaded, BUT....

we have had a rash of dual account trolls stirring up grief on our forums lately. Considering that Liberalman recently posted a thread about how rock and roll is the best thing to happen to religion in ages, I suspect this account is merely a troll attempting to counter his view and stir up more trouble.

Not that people shouldn't be free to respond, but, keep I'd suggest no one get too wound up over the ignorant view of religious condemnation espoused by the poster as it's likely as fake as many others that have come up lately.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Karrie

There's room for all isn't there? I don't see anyone keeping count or if they are it's not available to the regular folk.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie

There's room for all isn't there?

Nope. There's no room for the previously banned to come back in just looking to stir up trouble. If I'm wrong, and this person proves to be a good, honest, future poster, I'll happily apologize. If I'm right, they'll be banned in a day or two and giggling over all the arguments they started among the regular members.

Like I said, everyone has the right to reply in good faith to the person.... I'm just stating my jaded perception.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
To the people whose favourite past time is bashing people who dare to have faith, morality equals political correctness.

I know plenty of people who have faith and practice it, and I have no beef with them.

What I have a beef with are the people who think it's their right to ruin everybody else's fun and education over something so trivial based on their religious views, as if they hold authority over what everybody should or shouldn't be doing.... and make huge deals out of nothing.

If you had a child in that music class and didn't like the poster being displayed.... take your kid out of the class and teach them yourself.... or put them in a Catholic School or something.

If other parents, teachers, students and principals don't have an issue with it and don't see the same "Messages" as you and this quack in the original link see, that's their choice.... Not Yours.

You speak of Morality being equal to Political Correctness, but as shown by other posters in here, some don't seem to understand the connection.

The original poster who said things were "Right" back in the 1950's sure seems to have plenty of "Faith" they believe in, yet in the 1950's, the Term Political Correctness wasn't even a brain fart, racism, sexism, bigotry and prejudice were rampant.... and they seem to hint that it'd be nice to go back to those days, since people like Led Zep would have been hauled away.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hey, Bob Marley makes some offensive comments about my beliefs in one of his songs too, but more out of ignorance than any real malice. That does not change the fact that I can still admire his skills as a musician and acknowledge that I do agree with his songs on some points too.

Oh,and Marley smoked marijuana which I disagree with too, but that is a separate matter from his singing ability. Would you refuse medical attention from a highly qualified physician because he's a drinker and you're a teetotaler, or because he's a Muslim and you're a Christian? Same thing.

In this case the teacher is not endorsing anything in particular about Led Zeppelin except his musical abilities.

Now seeing that someone is obviously offended by this, maybe just for the sake of peace, the school could pass the concern on to the teacher and the teacher could decide himself whether to remove the Led Zeppelin poster at least while that parent's child is in his course.

On a less serious note, maybe he could replace the poster with a poster of the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Praxious, I did exactly that.

I had my children educated in Catholic School, then in private school.

Put me in heavy financial straights, but it was worth it.