Where to live in Vancouver?

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Hello, I am planning to immigrate to Vancouver in a few years. I am just applying.

I would like to know which are the best neighborhoods in this city, We like very much to go to nightclubs, but its not mandatory to live very near them as It will cost a lot more.

I am willing to pay beteen 1000-1500 for a furnished apartment, with at least the Main bedroom, dining room, and a space to place my destop computer.

I can even pay up to 2000, but for that money the apartment would have to be very cool and big.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
We are staying with my sister-in-law here in Kitsilano and she has a 2 bdrm condo, but it was a helluva price when she bought it: 1058 square feet, about $390,000. I have no idea how much they rent for.
It's a really nice neighborhood, though. Fairly pretty.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
My favorite place was the West End for being single and carefree and near everything !!

That was almost 20 years ago and I hear it may have changed - but have a look see for yourself - it should be on par with Kits and near the University Endowment....

With the Olympics coming up soon - I imagine everything is pricey right now too.

West End, Vancouver

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
lavalencia

Don't know if you were asking me or someone else - but here's where I would search.... it really depends upon what area you prefer if you are going to work or ??? as to location.

You can put these names in your search and they should show the available rental units...

S.W. Marine Drive
Shannon
Kerrisdale
Point Grey/UBC
West End
North Van
Yaletown
Coal Harbour
Gastown
Richmond
Surrey

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Well I am searching for a place to live near everything and not too expensive. Thanks for your answer!!

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Hello, I am planning to immigrate to Vancouver in a few years. I am just applying.

I would like to know which are the best neighborhoods in this city, We like very much to go to nightclubs, but its not mandatory to live very near them as It will cost a lot more.

I am willing to pay beteen 1000-1500 for a furnished apartment, with at least the Main bedroom, dining room, and a space to place my destop computer.

I can even pay up to 2000, but for that money the apartment would have to be very cool and big.

In a few years $2000.00 a month will get you something in the Hope area.. :lol:

Seriously tough.. Surrey area perhaps but I have a freind that has a place downtown that is 570 sq ft and pays $2500.00 a month. Kits area is about the same..

Maybe North Vancouver if you want to take the Sea Bus ( transit ) everytime you want to go somewhere or drive it.. But even there its pricey..

Good luck..

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
lol, maybe you are right, I have seen that according to my profession and experience I can earn 50-70K maximum yearly but I have no idea about taxes, can you please tell me how much can it be monthly?

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Maybe if I earn that money and my wife another 40-60K we can get a nice house for that time

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
It seems that vancouver is very expensive everywhere! :(

It certainly is, but it's well worth it. However, there are lots of places where one could find a reasonable price on property: Burnaby, Surrey, Maple Ridge, Mission, Squamish.

If money is no object then by far, the best to live in the entire world is North Vancouver. Only drawbacks are that it's crowded, has the narrowest sidewalk you've ever seen, and has badly paved roads.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It seems that vancouver is very expensive everywhere! :(
You seem to have two threads on this. Cities are expensive. You still haven't said where you are coming here from. I don't know Vancouver very well but I know it well enough to know that most of the areas "Curiosity" named are pretty pricey. SirFrancis and Alley live in the general area so they are good to listen to. How big a city do you need?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
levalencia

What stumps me is I don't know where your workplace is going to be - wouldn't you want to start there are 'ground zero' and fan out into the residential areas from that point?

Wherever you end up in B.C., you will think you found heaven - pricey but heaven.

Here is a link which will give you different areas - some of which I mentioned - in map form...Vancouver Park Board - Community Centres

levalencia

Nominee Member
Nov 24, 2008
Hello I am coming from Colombia, I am computer science engineeer with 9 years of experience, I have 8 Microsoft certifications and I think that with my wife's job and mine, we can live in Vancouver.

Thanks for all your comments, it seems that Vancouver its so cool to live

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hello I am coming from Colombia, I am computer science engineeer with 9 years of experience, I have 8 Microsoft certifications and I think that with my wife's job and mine, we can live in Vancouver.

Thanks for all your comments, it seems that Vancouver its so cool to live

Check it out thoroughly, affordability of living, ease of movement, parking, climate, crime statistics, taxes. Rent for a year before you buy.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Remember that the Olympics are just around the corner. This is impacting teh rental/sale market.

Take a look here if you want to shop/purchase: REALTOR.ca - Welcome It is pretty straight-forward.

That said, if you want to live in Vancouver proper, see the above list (Curiosity) and maybe add in False Creek and Shaughnessy (if you can afford that)..

Take a look at North and West Vancouver as well. N. Van is relatively affordable and just over the Lion's Gate bridge from downtown Vancouver. West Vancouver will cost a King's ransom, but is an amazing place to live.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
lavalencia

I'm curious as to why you didn't head for Redmond Washington State where Microsoft HQ is located?

Washington is similar to B.C. in many ways....If you lived there - you could still visit Vancouver regularly and get a feel for it at your own speed. It's not that far away in terms of mileage/hours. There is a Microsoft Office in B.C. as well...

Here's their link although you probably know it if you've been getting certs.....
Looks they are always hiring....

Microsoft Careers — Locations — Corporate Campus

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My daughter rents a one bedroom apartment in the West End for about $950/month. She is a short walk from Stanley Park, the waterfront, shopping, etc. personally, I don't like apartment living but to each his/her own.