Life in BC

Euroguy

Apr 16, 2013
Hi, I'm hoping to move to BC and I thought I'd ask locals about life there. Anything you have to say would be interesting.

I'll say a bit about myself to let you know a bit about me. I'm 26, Irish, I just finished my degree in international business and languages. I would like to come for the stable economy and job potential. I must admit one of the things I liked about Van was how it seems to resist much of the harsher cold weather (lol). I adore travelling and besides usual holidays, I've had spent longer periods abroad in Norway, Germany and Italy. I'm extremely open to difference and learning so I think I could like it in BC.

I guess I'm wondering what locals say about life there, what people do for fun, is there many career opportunities for young people and so on. Also, it looks quite sparsely populated outside major areas like Van, would I be right in thinking you must drive?

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hi, I'm hoping to move to BC and I thought I'd ask locals about life there. Anything you have to say would be interesting.

I'll say a bit about myself to let you know a bit about me. I'm 26, Irish, I just finished my degree in international business and languages. I would like to come for the stable economy and job potential. I must admit one of the things I liked about Van was how it seems to resist much of the harsher cold weather (lol). I adore travelling and besides usual holidays, I've had spent longer periods abroad in Norway, Germany and Italy. I'm extremely open to difference and learning so I think I could like it in BC.

I guess I'm wondering what locals say about life there, what people do for fun, is there many career opportunities for young people and so on. Also, it looks quite sparsely populated outside major areas like Van, would I be right in thinking you must drive?

One positive thing about B.C. is it's diversity, if you like "concrete jungles" we have plenty of them with the lower mainland (West of Chilliwack), Victoria, Kelowna, Kamloops, Prince George, Nanaimo etc. etc. There are also many lovely secluded areas where peace and quiet prevail. We are an industrial area, with logging, mining, fishing, agriculture, natural gas, manufacturing. It's also still a good area for most pastimes, including fishing, hunting, camping, water sports, canoeing, etc. Our climate includes the whole spectrum from 35C heat in the summer in the southern interior of B.C. to minus 40C in winter in the northern interior and a moderate climate ranging from minus 10C to plus 30 on the coast. As far as traveling goes we have a fairly good infrastructure, that is being improved annually. If you choose to live in one of the "concrete jungles", transit is available (actually recommended if you want to avoid horrendous parking costs) That is about all I have to say about that. Good luck in your endeavours.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I hear Royal Bank is hiring.

Just kidding.

If the languages you studied happen to be Mandarin or Hindi that could be helpful.
Vancouver is a scenic coastal city and lots of folks are competing for the jobs available.
If you have a graduate degree thats one thing but in Vancouver a BA and good references gets you minimum wage at Timmys or Starbucks.
And my personal view of BC includes the election of a Dipper provincial Government, subsequent tax increases, followed by local business contractions and layoffs.

Try Calgary, Red Deer, Saskatoon or Regina.
Get the career on track first and then gun for an inter-company transfer to the Wet Coast.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Vancouver is awesome. But as a warning "BC" stands for Bring Cash. Lots of Irish, Scots and Brit ex-pats over here too, and a strong Celtic community.

There's tons of work here.

Folks here can be cliquish--at least that's what I found when I moved here. You need to make the effort to get out there and meet people. Also, it's a great outdoor city--some days of the year you can ski and hit the beach in the same day. But if you're into the arts, then you're better off back east--bit of a cultural dead zone, I have to say.

Year round football too!

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Living in Vancouver isn't the easiest for someone who likes travel because it's so far from everywhere except Latin America-the easy access you have to Europe and beyond will seem like a distant dream here on the Left Coast of nowhere.

The British Expats Forum is a great resource for one such as yourself.

Euroguy

Apr 16, 2013
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I certainly do appreciate the outdoor lifestyle and that seems to be a definite option there, like you're never too far from the wilderness/country. Getting out and about doing that stuff I think is really calming and peaceful.

As for work, is it really that bleak? Craigslist and others looked less bleak. A good business B.A. when I started got a €40k / $53k job with an American blue chip. A decent-sized city must do internships, unless the economy is too focussed in one area e.g. primary resources. Is there much of an I.T. sector? If there is a quaternary economy (I.T., communications) , then I should be fine. A graduate degree here would cost about $15-30k for one year and many of these grads. sleep on the floors of charities, work is so sparse, so it's an adventure I won't be taking.

Zipper, I think I know what you mean about outdoors and networking. It was the same in Italy, I'll make the best of it then. Good weather really does encourage outdoors activity so I think I'd be fine. As for cash, I'll have at least 6 months living to get a job. I hear that a lot about BC, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks Bill, I'll take a look at that now. I do enjoy travelling too, but I think I'll be happy to settle down there first. It will be different enough to apease itchy feet! Yeah, a friend in Nova Scotia said that too, in Canada you drive or fly. I can understand, it's so huge and the geography would make various types of public transport unfeasable, expect in urban cities with big enough populations.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I certainly do appreciate the outdoor lifestyle and that seems to be a definite option there, like you're never too far from the wilderness/country. Getting out and about doing that stuff I think is really calming and peaceful.

As for work, is it really that bleak? Craigslist and others looked less bleak. A good business B.A. when I started got a €40k / $53k job with an American blue chip. A decent-sized city must do internships, unless the economy is too focussed in one area e.g. primary resources. Is there much of an I.T. sector? If there is a quaternary economy (I.T., communications) , then I should be fine. A graduate degree here would cost about $15-30k for one year and many of these grads. sleep on the floors of charities, work is so sparse, so it's an adventure I won't be taking.

Zipper, I think I know what you mean about outdoors and networking. It was the same in Italy, I'll make the best of it then. Good weather really does encourage outdoors activity so I think I'd be fine. As for cash, I'll have at least 6 months living to get a job. I hear that a lot about BC, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks Bill, I'll take a look at that now. I do enjoy travelling too, but I think I'll be happy to settle down there first. It will be different enough to apease itchy feet! Yeah, a friend in Nova Scotia said that too, in Canada you drive or fly. I can understand, it's so huge and the geography would make various types of public transport unfeasable, expect in urban cities with big enough populations.

If you have really good references or much more importantly good connections and networked contacts in the business world you are probably golden.
If you are competing with all the rest of the recent grads on an equal footing my guess is you may find it a bit tough.
Why not get your CV out now?
Why not start trying to network up some leads before you leave home?
Whom ever hustles the most usually gets the available slot.
After the connected guy that is.

Keep in mind that halfl the MBA's and IT wonks across the frozen prairies are trying to swing a transfer to Van or Vic.
If all else fails you too could try that route.

As others have mentioned Van is a fantastic city for outdoor activities and is consistently ranked one of the top 3 or 4 cities in the world to live in.
So obviously there is some competition for career opportunities.

Now if you were an experienced plumber with full kit and a van it would pretty much be a sure thing.
But a recent grad....not so much.
Better start networking.
And keep in mind there is always Calgary.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Vancouver is awesome. But as a warning "BC" stands for Bring Cash. Lots of Irish, Scots and Brit ex-pats over here too, and a strong Celtic community.

There's tons of work here.

Folks here can be cliquish--at least that's what I found when I moved here. You need to make the effort to get out there and meet people. Also, it's a great outdoor city--some days of the year you can ski and hit the beach in the same day. But if you're into the arts, then you're better off back east--bit of a cultural dead zone, I have to say.
Year round football too!

That's one opinion which MAY be valid. My experience with Vancouver is crappy weather, impossible for driving, costs an arm and a leg for parking when you can find a spot, real estate prices outrageous, gas prices outrageous, hazardous to walk streets after dark (and often before dark) and a lot of crime.
Calgary is a much nicer city, Edmonton except for the cold winters.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
That's one opinion which MAY be valid. My experience with Vancouver is crappy weather, impossible for driving, costs an arm and a leg for parking when you can find a spot, real estate prices outrageous, gas prices outrageous, hazardous to walk streets after dark (and often before dark) and a lot of crime.
Keep in mind that apart from the weather where one mans heaven can be another mans hell.
Everything you said is pretty much typical of large cities anywhere on the planet.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The most beautiful city in Canada, but just like any other Tourist City it is very expensive..

The transit system is one the best in the world.. very modern city and it has a Rain Forest downtown, called Stanley Park.. which gets lots of rain..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Keep in mind that apart from the weather where one mans heaven can be another mans hell.
Everything you said is pretty much typical of large cities anywhere on the planet.

I'm not sure that real estate prices are typical!

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

Everything you say is true. Whatever you do, Albertans, don't move here. It sucks! :lol:

And it's scary looking!

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I'm not sure that real estate prices are typical!

point made JLM

In my mind the Van prices are not typical of Canada.
But what the heck, TO and Vic are also in a bubble.

BTW Calgary has the second highest parking prices in North America... so what?

Which is why I don't think Vancouver should be a first pick for a recent immigrant without heavy creds.

Sydney, Mumbai, Hong Kong,Manhattan,London and Vancouver.
A few Great cities, steep competion work wise.

Canada still needs immigrants.
One of the few nations still willing to offer execellent opportunities in a very resource rich nation.

Go where the work is, excel at it and then hustle up the national honey holes.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Vancouver weather is much like England. Brits love it there. But my concern is a bunch of big city professionals running loose in our wilderness, getting lost and messing up the country side. Europeans have little to no experience with wild animals. Many get in trouble because they think they are encountering cute and cuddly Disneyesque creatures instead of potentially dangerous animals.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Vancouver weather is much like England. Brits love it there. But my concern is a bunch of big city professionals running loose in our wilderness, getting lost and messing up the country side. Europeans have little to no experience with wild animals. Many get in trouble because they think they are encountering cute and cuddly Disneyesque creatures instead of potentially dangerous animals.

You'll find lots of these in the mountains near North Vancouver, without a compass, proper boots or a box of matches or fuel, no food, no way of staying dry, no flagging to mark their trail, no pocket knife- you'd think they were taking a stroll down Granville St. in July. -:)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You'll find lots of these in the mountains near North Vancouver, without a compass, proper boots or a box of matches or fuel, no food, no way of staying dry, no flagging to mark their trail, no pocket knife- you'd think they were taking a stroll down Granville St. in July. -:)
They have Starbucks and baggies to sh*t in.