Whose death deserves respect?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay guys. I know I was less shocked by gerry's posts because I had seen his anger building over this issue across two forums and in conversations off forum.

So, I'll pose the question the way I feel it should have been posed (sorry ger).

Whose death deserves respect, and whose doesn't?

When MJ died, comments like 'finally the freak is gone', jokes about him, flat out rudeness, went ignored. This got under the skin of many people.

So in discussing Farah's death, why does she deserve more consideration?

Personally, I could typically care less about celeb deaths, and I avoid commenting on the lives of people I don't know. But, I figured it might give some of you a venue for conversation without highjacking further threads.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They should both be afforded some level of respect seeing as they are deceased. Michael Jackson may have been a freak but he positively affected people with his music over the years, same goes for Farah but a different medium.

Reactions: Outta here

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I think MJ used up most of his shock value in life. What surprises were really left?

Farrah touches a part in most of us. Who hasn't been touched at least once by cancer?

None of us get out alive. Who matters more? Dead is the great Equalizer.

Reactions: Outta here

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O......I could not really give a flyin fukk about either of'em

Something happens to Gord Lightfoot, Ian Tyson, Maggie Atwood, Leonard Cohen, Alex Colville, the works of the Group of Seven, and etc. , lemme know.

these two were just posers. have a nice day.:cool:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, so, banning has been demanded AND received for a couple comments about Farah. And knowing his intent, and reading that all deserve equal respect, I took a quick look, and I mean quick, this is only the first couple pages, through the MJ thread.

How many of these were reported or banned?

Now, don't get me wrong, the mods act on member input, I'm not blaming them. I question the actions of the membership.

Never liked Michael Jackson, from the ABC/123 days to the present.

It never appealed to me in the slightest, and he was such a freak he should have been in a mental hospital.

He might have had talent, but he was also a pervert.

That's the problem, there's a lot of decent people who make big sacrifices for friends, strangers and family just by dedicated hard work without special talents who are mainly unrecognized, but if you are a singer or an accurate shot with a hockey puck or can pound someone's face in in the ring you are a hero. Where are our values?

I remember him as a kid, very cute talented black kid, jackson five, and he being the youngest and the best, but it all went downhill from there, he had to show everyone how to run away from 'who' you are, turn into a 'clown, what a failure he was at life, didn't seem to 'get it', too late now, very sad and pitiful.
He has looked dead for the past 20 years, now he can play the part for real.

A couple of more surgeries and Michael would have looked like Farrah....

Even weird people have to die sometime.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Every death should be respected..

Everyone is entitled to an opinion about someone's life good or bad but respectfully.

All I asked is that foul language not be used and I would hope that personal attacks not happen.

When did I ever mention ( or in your words attack ) gerry in the thread ? To be quite honest I have personally had no issues with gerry.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Okay guys. I know I was less shocked by gerry's posts because I had seen his anger building over this issue across two forums and in conversations off forum.

So, I'll pose the question the way I feel it should have been posed (sorry ger).

Whose death deserves respect, and whose doesn't?

When MJ died, comments like 'finally the freak is gone', jokes about him, flat out rudeness, went ignored. This got under the skin of many people.

So in discussing Farah's death, why does she deserve more consideration?

Personally, I could typically care less about celeb deaths, and I avoid commenting on the lives of people I don't know. But, I figured it might give some of you a venue for conversation without highjacking further threads.
I guess if I had to choose, I would say all deaths except for those who die in the process of committing a horrible crime, deserve respect.
I did not like the nasty comments made regarding Michael Jackson but while I may have missed some, I don't think anyone said anything quite so shocking as gerryh said about Farrah Fawcett regarding her time of death. Let us not forget that Farrah Fawcett was never found dangling a child off a balcony several stories up and she was never accused of child abuse. This type of notoriety is not to be honoured so people may have made some in-appropriate comments regarding MJ because anger about people doing such things lingers on in anyone's memory. Add into that the fact that Farrah Fawcett died a horrible death of rectal cancer that she suffered with for at least a couple of years. Michael Jackson died within a few moments so he at least did not have to suffer a long drawn out death.
While you may have watched gerryh's anger building both on the forums and off, perhaps you should have been realizing that anger was building in a lot of people - and all of it was building over him. For reasons I cannot fathom, you appear to like him and would like to protect him but most of us wish he would just be gone forever. He starts wars where there need not be any. I think he has been given a way too much air time already. Conversations regarding him should be made to cease.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Let me ask another question.. Is there a reason why we can't type the work F__k or any other when people find ways around them. If so it's use should not be accepted on the Forum and especially when directed at people.

You have the capabilities to keep blocking new versions of these words faster then people can come out with them why not use them..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
... I don't think anyone said anything quite so shocking as gerryh said about Farrah Fawcett regarding her time of death.

actually, if you read through the MJ threads, you'll see that gerry was merely paraphrasing comments made in regards to MJ. Like 'he's looked dead for the last 20 years, now he can play the part'.

And this isn't just about gerry. This is about sacred cows, demanding ours be respected while we slaughter someone else's. I find it an interesting issue.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Let me ask another question.. Is there a reason why we can't type the work F__k or any other when people find ways around them. If so it's use should not be accepted on the Forum and especially when directed at people.

You have the capabilities to keep blocking new versions of these words faster then people can come out with them why not use them..

No, let's not ask that question if you don't mind. There is a thread titled 'complaints department' where you could take it up though. This thread is about a completely different topic.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Okay, so, banning has been demanded AND received for a couple comments about Farah. And knowing his intent, and reading that all deserve equal respect, I took a quick look, and I mean quick, this is only the first couple pages, through the MJ thread.

How many of these were reported or banned?

Now, don't get me wrong, the mods act on member input, I'm not blaming them. I question the actions of the membership.
The sad but strange thing about all the quotes you made are that most of them are true. I don't think someone who states the truth should be banned. Your friend did not state a truth - just a totally inappropriate obnoxious opinion.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The sad but strange thing about all the quotes you made are that most of them are true. I don't think someone who states the truth should be banned. Your friend did not state a truth - just a totally inappropriate obnoxious opinion.

That he should have been in a mental hospital, or that he looked dead for the last 20 years, are just as much opinions as saying Fawcett looked like hell at the end, and just as obnoxious to someone who is mourning the death of MJ, and disagrees with the opinions.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Re-read the thread Francis, I was posting off VI, not you.

personal attacks against someone who isn't here to defend themselves is exactly what's going on Francis. It's low.

I'll support the mods' decision, but, hacking on someone who's no longer here, I won't support that. Don't try to tell me I have to.

SC is there for personal wars. You're highjacking a thread over an issue that's been dealt with, and beating on an absent poster. It's sad.

This is what I am referring too .. Sorry for taking from one thread to another..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This is what I am referring too .. Sorry for taking from one thread to another..

I still never said you were doing it. I was talking to VI, and you attempted to reprimand and stop me from doing so. I explained why I wouldn't.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A certain amount of respect is reasonable, depending on who the person is. For example, if Robert Willie Picton dies, do we owe him respect? It's a sliding scale, in my opinion, and the trouble often comes when people have different ideas of how much respect is due, which seems to be the case with celebrities especially.

That said, I have no problem with making jokes, especially for those in the public spotlight.

Good heavens, when my father died (very unexpectedly), at his funeral, my siblings and I were making jokes about his lack of patience and his temper.

As for all the whining and reporting and banning members, that's just stupid, in my opinion. If you're so sensitive that you need to report someone for a comment on this forum, I think you need a dose of reality. It's pathetic to take this so seriously.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:angry3:.........C'mon!!!

Yer not serious!!!

Something happen to Gerryh??

He's one of the GREAT ones.

Goddamint, I can't live with that.

He's banned again??!!

****!!

****!!

Holy ****!!

NO!!!!!!!!!

Jeeeeezuz, what happened???

I'm always the last to know.........

Shadow get pissed off at Gerry's shoe colour or something???

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dang!!!

How long this time??

150 years ??

He didn't defraud anyone.

son of a @#$@

woops.......:banghead:

misspelled..........

son of a @#@%*

there, that's bettere.

:hippy2:In the words of our future prime minister........" get a grip "

:confused3:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't believe in the old adage that if you can't say something nice about the dearly departed, say nothing.

But I DO believe in giving a long enough time for mourning, a long enough time for the reality to set in, whether one mourns or rejoices the passing. So, if you have something uncomplimentary to say, say it, but after decent period of time.

That is just plain, common decency.

gerryh brutally violated that by his posts about Farrah Fawcett. While his comments would have been just as vile a week aor two weeks from now, the percetion might have been different.

But that is just my opinion. I may be wrong.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Just to be clear Francis - I understand you to say - let's block the use of the word rather than show things like the first and last letter. Many of us on here did not grow up with the use of that word being as common as the words peanut butter and jelly and you are right - we don't like it. There is no need for it or any other foul language on here. Anyone who cannot explain something without using foul language, doesn't know how to explain it and should not make the attempt. I've only been on one other forum. Only one other person there acted in the manner the person in question on here acts. She was booted off there and off here. He is just her in male form but he gets to stay. I know he's on a time out but he'll be back in a week or so. He deserves exactly what she got and nothing less.