Deep Space

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

HubbleSite - NewsCenter - Exotic

I feel very humble looking at this cosmos.
We are not alone!

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I wonder if any of those planets are flat?

Tee cunnis Petro, spherical or semi spherical seems to be the architecture of the universe’s floating masses, but who knows maybe anything that goes through a black whole gets compressed to some flat form. It sure is BIG

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tee cunnis Petro, spherical or semi spherical seems to be the architecture of the universe’s floating masses, but who knows maybe anything that goes through a black whole gets compressed to some flat form. It sure is BIG
and stays crunchy in milk unlike those meat filled pannekoeks in Holland.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Sir Francis good day, nothing political in this thread. Space is a fascinating phenomenon and we all are a part of it.

Good day Socrates the Greek, my little attemp at humour.

I have always been a big fan of space. Don't let the bad puns fool you. I hope to get ( even if it's cheap ) a telescope from a local store to look at planets with my son. As a kid I used to borrow my brothers and try to look at the moon and stars. It never quite cut it.. :(

They have some nice but ones at Costco and a few other store but I really don't want to spend more then a few hundred. Just don't have the cash..

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Good day Socrates the Greek, my little attemp at humour.

I have always been a big fan of space. Don't let the bad puns fool you. I hope to get ( even if it's cheap ) a telescope from a local store to look at planets with my son. As a kid I used to borrow my brothers and try to look at the moon and stars. It never quite cut it.. :(

They have some nice but ones at Costco and a few other store but I really don't want to spend more then a few hundred. Just don't have the cash..

It sure is a great hobby to pick up a telescope like you say a visit in visual and mind our neighboring planets, or galaxies, great cheap tourism $1000 for a telescope is better than a $20M space 10 day vacation. I suppose the ones who have that type of doe they can dance that way, but the teley idea works for me.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
It sure is a great hobby to pick up a telescope like you say a visit in visual and mind our neighboring planets, or galaxies, great cheap tourism $1000 for a telescope is better than a $20M space 10 day vacation. I suppose the ones who have that type of doe they can dance that way, but the teley idea works for me.

That same brother just picked one up for himself and son for about $450.00 at Sears I think he said.. It has a great Lens and all.. He can attach a camera and it has the motor on it to follow the stars for picture perfect shots..

I will look into that seeing I can't afford Hubble for now.. :)

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
That same brother just picked one up for himself and son for about $450.00 at Sears I think he said.. It has a great Lens and all.. He can attach a camera and it has the motor on it to follow the stars for picture perfect shots..

I will look into that seeing I can't afford Hubble for now.. :)

I am sure on a very crystal clear night a $500 teley would do the job, and what a great experience that would be. At home where I live I face the south and always I see Venus shining into my living room. I am also considering in getting a telescope for around $500 it would be great entertainment when friend come over.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you live in a city and want to do some star gazing with a telescope about all you'll see is the moon and the planets. There is just far to much ambient light in the urban environment and you'll get far better results viewing to the north. To see deep space with you basic hobby scope it's is best on a new (no) Moon and in a valley with no light for miles. The colder the better as well.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Our 3000 year old ancestors were obsessed with deep space, and it is interesting how for many generations man in general from all walks of life, humanity has been fascinated with the unknown truth of the Universe, this complex Cosmos which fascinates us all.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
HubbleSite - NewsCenter - Exotic

August 8, 2006: NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has for the first time identified the parent star of a distant planet (system name OGLE-2003-BLG-235L/MOA-2003-BLG-53L) discovered in 2003 through ground-based gravitational microlensing. Gravitational microlensing occurs when a foreground star amplifies the light of a background star that momentarily aligns with it. Follow-up observations by Hubble in 2005 separated the light of the slightly offset foreground star from the background star. This allowed the host star to be identified as a red dwarf star located 19,000 light-years away. The Hubble observations allow for the planet's mass and the orbit from its parent red star to be determined. In this artist's concept, the rings and moon around the gas giant are hypothetical, but plausible, given the nature of the family of gas giant planets in our solar system.

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

August 21, 2006: Dark matter and normal matter have been wrenched apart by the tremendous collision of two large clusters of galaxies. This composite image shows the galaxy cluster 1E 0657-56, also known as the "bullet cluster." The hot gas detected by Chandra in X-rays is seen as two pink clumps in the image and contains most of the "normal" matter in the two clusters. The bullet-shaped clump on the right is the hot gas from one cluster, which passed through the hot gas from the other larger cluster during the collision. An optical image from Magellan and the Hubble Space Telescope shows the galaxies in orange and white. The blue areas in this image show where astronomers find most of the mass in the clusters. For more information about this research on the Web, visit: http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/06_releases/press_082106.html