Women's Hockey Team Booz-Up

Ogu

Feb 23, 2010
I am so proud of the Women's Hockey team's achievement however their post-game booz-up on the ice has left a very dark mark on an otherwise flawless performance.
There is no disputing that they earned the gold. I am just so dishearted about how they took their gold medals and such a prestigious hard-earned win "the Canadian way" then dragged it through the mud to the corner bar! Whatever where they thinking?!?!? Where was the coach/assistant coaches/ANYBODY!!!!!!
Mark my words, this will NOT just go away. This is a stigma that many of the ensuing teams (especially the upcoming mean's team) will bear the brunt of, for years!
.....soooo sooo sad.
As a side bar - as if this isn't bad enough - one of the girls is under-age. .....wonderful!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am so proud of the Women's Hockey team's achievement however their post-game booz-up on the ice has left a very dark mark on an otherwise flawless performance.
There is no disputing that they earned the gold. I am just so dishearted about how they took their gold medals and such a prestigious hard-earned win "the Canadian way" then dragged it through the mud to the corner bar! Whatever where they thinking?!?!? Where was the coach/assistant coaches/ANYBODY!!!!!!
Mark my words, this will NOT just go away. This is a stigma that many of the ensuing teams (especially the upcoming mean's team) will bear the brunt of, for years!
.....soooo sooo sad.
As a side bar - as if this isn't bad enough - one of the girls is under-age. .....wonderful!
Oh come on, they had a couple drinks and smoke a couple stogies.

If that isn't Canadian, I can't imagine what is.

If you recorded the sounds of all the alcoholic beverage containers being opened that eve, upon the revelation of their win, and played them back all at once, you could have likely registered it on a seismograph in Russia!

This is much ado about nothing. First, you have reporter whining at the IOC about what the women did in a virtually EMPTY area, not open to the public at that time, then you have a Euroweenie IOC that hasn't caught up to the times.

And if you have an issue with underage drinking, avoid Europe altogether!

Anybody else smell sour grapes here?

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I heard some of them were smoking cigars. An athlete smoking, what were they thinking? An athlete should know better than that. I can understand drinking. After winning the gold, there is bound to be a touch of high spirits. As to underage drinking, well nobody supports these things, but they do happen, it is not unheard of.

But smoking? They need a lesson on the ill effects of smoking. I would think the last thing an athlete would do is smoke.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I heard some of them were smoking cigars. An athlete smoking, what were they thinking? An athlete should know better than that. I can understand drinking. After winning the gold, there is bound to be a touch of high spirits. As to underage drinking, well nobody supports these things, but they do happen, it is not unheard of.

But smoking? They need a lesson on the ill effects of smoking. I would think the last thing an athlete would do is smoke.

The last I heard, you don't inhale when smoking a stogie...

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The last I heard, you don't inhale when smoking a stogie...

No you don't, you merely take the smoke in, taste the flavor and blow it out. I love handing someone a cigar and watch them try to smoke it for the first time...cough, cough.....this is great...cough cough.:lol:

Anyways.....the girls partied...let's take their medal away and lock them up, how dare they celebrate a gold medal....what were they thinking.:roll:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
.....soooo sooo sad.

Mark my words, nobody cares.

They had a celebration, and smoked a few cigars.
They're gold medal athletes who deserve it.

You don't think the skiers, or curlers celebrate?

I suppose it would be the dignified Canadian thing to go sit down with Peter Mansbridge for a 3 hour discussion on the academic origins of hockey or something.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I suppose it would be the dignified Canadian thing to go sit down with Peter Mansbridge for a 3 hour discussion on the academic origins of hockey or something.

That would be riveting television.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

And he's serious!!!!!:roll::roll::roll::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's a CIGAR!

Not inhaled.

Not smoked often.

Big deal.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
So they had a party...Good for them! If more people would let their hair down and blow off a bit of steam once in a while, the world would be a better place. Who knows? We might end up with fewer uptight, perfect (in their own mind), narrow-minded people sitting in judgement of other people's behaviour and feeling compelled to comment on it for no particular reason other than to feed their perpetually starved ego. MYOFB.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Oh yay. Another Tempest in a tea pot.

Being from Alberta, I kind of laugh at the whole "under age" drinking thing too. How is it people are old enough to vote, old enough to go to jail and old enough to serve and possibly die for their country at age 18 but NOT old enough to have a drink? Are they legally adults or not? This 19-21 drinking age crap is inconsistent BS.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
The Olimpdics clearly cultivate floozyism in womens sport.

Quite so. And that of course must be considered a disturbing trend, if you care to Google it and find the proof - in the form of statistical data - that the Olympics are no doubt contributing to degenerate behaviour in our young athletes. This of course results in a disastrous tearing of our social fabric and will require the services of an entire team of social engineers along with various pieces of legislation to prevent any such occurrences in the future.

There are only a select few with the correct level of insight into the very essence of life itself that have the ability, nay, the OBLIGATION, to impose their observations, values, and solutions on the "morons" (the average people) because they - as our oracles - are the ones who keep us from harm and self-destructive behaviour as we stumble along the path of life in our miserable, ignorant, day to day mortal existences. After all, somebody has to do the real work.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I can't believe this is even an issue. The sport is called "Women's Hockey". Not "Little Girl's Hockey". Women are allowed to have a celebratory drink after the games. Especially women who have won us a gold medal. The players all took the following Olympic oath:

"In the name of all competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honour of our teams."

I see nothing in that oath that would prohibit having a snort after your sport is over.