The 2010 Charade (Winter Olympics)


JLM
#1
What do you think of the whole thing?
 
Cliffy
#2
Giant waste of money. We will be paying for it for at least thirty years just so Gordon Campbell and his rich friends can show off. Meanwhile the disadvantaged have to get by with substandard health care and other services and living far below the poverty line. Sorry, but it is all a crock.
 
darkbeaver
#3
There's nothing like watching spoiled privilaged clowns beating the clocks for kicks while the planet falls into ruin at the hands of the filthy bankers. The olympics should be banned forever as the giant obscene spectacle that it is. Who gives a **** if you can ski fast?
 
JLM
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

There's nothing like watching spoiled privilaged clowns beating the clocks for kicks while the planet falls into ruin at the hands of the filthy bankers. The olympics should be banned forever as the giant obscene spectacle that it is. Who gives a **** if you can ski fast?

Excellent points there Beaver.
 
Kreskin
#5
If it wasn't for this project Vancouver would be a wasteland right now. I realize that is the dream of many, to live in a cardboard box while Armeggedon is in progress, but it isn't mine. We'll reap the benefits of this for a decade or two. I do care about how fast someone can ski, and if they ever host a fat guy luge competition..I'm in.
 
#juan
#6
The benefits to greater Vancouver from holding the Winter olympics will be far greater than the costs. Millions of visiters and worldwide television rights will contribute to Vancouver's fortunes and some of the sports infrastructure will remain in the city to benefit B.C. athletes for years. Threre are some truly depressing people on these forums who would see negatives in a kid's birthday party.
 
tracy
#7
Everything fun is a "waste of money". That doesn't stop me from doing fun things. The Olympics aren't my cup of tea, but some people really enjoy them so I say have at er!
 
JLM
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

The benefits to greater Vancouver from holding the Winter olympics will be far greater than the costs. Millions of visiters and worldwide television rights will contribute to Vancouver's fortunes and some of the sports infrastructure will remain in the city to benefit B.C. athletes for years. Threre are some truly depressing people on these forums who would see negatives in a kid's birthday party.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. How do we know the returns will outweigh the costs? Sure we'll have more sport's infrastructure. Is that what we really need or do we need more hospitals, bridges, prisons etc.? Should be not be beefing up the existing infrastructure to make them more earthquake resistant. If the Olympics are so great why are we going to end up with a bill that is about ten times the amount originally planned? Is sports a more important aspect of our lives than our health and our safety and our ability to conduct business?
 
Tyr
#9
The "elephant-in-the-room" is what are they going to do with the poverty and homelessness in Vasncouver when we are "on the world stage". Do they want those pictures flashed around the world?
 
Kreskin
#10
It's time something dramatic happened with East Hastings anyway. It's about 10 blocks full of drug addicts that would prositute your mother in a heartbeat. It's time for those people to get lives. I say mow it down.
 
Tyr
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

It's time something dramatic happened with East Hastings anyway. It's about 10 blocks full of drug addicts that would prositute your mother in a heartbeat. It's time for those people to get lives. I say mow it down.

brilliant. Now there's a cronstructive reply. And where will the "addicts" go. Should they be packed in the buildings prior to dentonation?
 
JLM
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrView Post

brilliant. Now there's a cronstructive reply. And where will the "addicts" go. Should they be packed in the buildings prior to dentonation?

That's one of the problems with the Olympics- it's mostly to do with the "Haves" and those born with a silver spoon in their mouths, which is alright as long as it doesn't take away from ordinary folks, which I believe it does- one example being people having to move out of their homes because the landlords want to up grade them in time to rent them out for the big bucks. Leaving the drug addicts and criminal out of the argument, the Olympics is still a bad idea that we can not afford.
 
Kreskin
#13
What are we as a society supposed to do, stop all economic activity forever so people can smoke crack and sleep in grocery carts? Cancel the Olympics and play folk music for them? Why are people with nothing trying to live in the middle of an expensive city? They should be relocated to their families, or to hospitals where they can be treated. There is nothing you or I can ever do to make their lives work where they are.
 
darkbeaver
#14
We can't afford relocation and treatment Kreskin we have to help thousands of wealthy ski bums and other assorted professional leeches fulfill thier useless dreams of podium mounting. Sport is not supposed to be an economic activity, it creates absolutely nothing but sweat. The Olympics never made anything for the common man but mountains of debt. It should be ilegal to waste energy at sport when it could be applied to building houses or roads or farming.
 
JLM
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

What are we as a society supposed to do, stop all economic activity forever so people can smoke crack and sleep in grocery carts? Cancel the Olympics and play folk music for them? Why are people with nothing trying to live in the middle of an expensive city? They should be relocated to their families, or to hospitals where they can be treated. There is nothing you or I can ever do to make their lives work where they are.

As I pointed out in my last post, we should leave the druggies etc. out of it and spending the money on necessities for the productive working poor, who need services. We can' t do much for the druggies and people who sleep in grocery carts except show them a little understanding and realize that many of them didn't get dealt "a very good hand".
 
#juan
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

We can't afford relocation and treatment Kreskin we have to help thousands of wealthy ski bums and other assorted professional leeches fulfill thier useless dreams of podium mounting. Sport is not supposed to be an economic activity, it creates absolutely nothing but sweat. The Olympics never made anything for the common man but mountains of debt. It should be ilegal to waste energy at sport when it could be applied to building houses or roads or farming.

DB you've reached a new high in ridiculous.

Quote:

The only other Canadian Winter Olympic Games (Calgary 198, contributed more than $1.4 billion to the Canadian economy in the lead up to the Games during the 1980s. Positive economic impacts were associated with capital facilities, enhanced business, tourism and sports opportunities, and extra employment/household income.
In the end, the 1988 Olympic Winter Games recorded a profit that fuelled an endowment fund of more than $60 million that is now worth $170 million. (Source: Final Report of the Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games; VANOC Impact of North American Winter Games on Host Communities Study). Among other legacies, the 1988 Olympic Winter Games left a wealth of recreational and high performance sport infrastructure that was a major contributing factor to Canada's 24 medals at the Torino 2006 Games.

You are not forced to like the olympics DB, but you should at least get your information right.
 
#juan
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

We can't afford relocation and treatment Kreskin we have to help thousands of wealthy ski bums and other assorted professional leeches fulfill thier useless dreams of podium mounting. Sport is not supposed to be an economic activity, it creates absolutely nothing but sweat. The Olympics never made anything for the common man but mountains of debt. It should be ilegal to waste energy at sport when it could be applied to building houses or roads or farming.

DB you've reached a new high in ridiculous.

Quote:

The only other Canadian Winter Olympic Games (Calgary 198, contributed more than $1.4 billion to the Canadian economy in the lead up to the Games during the 1980s. Positive economic impacts were associated with capital facilities, enhanced business, tourism and sports opportunities, and extra employment/household income.
In the end, the 1988 Olympic Winter Games recorded a profit that fuelled an endowment fund of more than $60 million that is now worth $170 million. (Source: Final Report of the Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games; VANOC Impact of North American Winter Games on Host Communities Study). Among other legacies, the 1988 Olympic Winter Games left a wealth of recreational and high performance sport infrastructure that was a major contributing factor to Canada's 24 medals at the Torino 2006 Games.

You are not forced to like the olympics DB, but you should at least get your information right.
Last edited by #juan; Feb 14th, 2009 at 04:04 PM..Reason: double post
 
JLM
#18
I think people should be able to express an opinion and discuss it sanely without someone retorting in a sarcastic manner. A lot of people who are having problems making "ends meet", are opposed to "upper crust" getting a free ride. I have no problem with that.
 
talloola
#19
People are upset because they didn't get a chance to actually 'vote' properly for or
against the olymics in vancouver, the vote that was taken was 'bogus'. If a proper
vote was taken and it was voted 'yes' to host the games, then those who are upset
would have had to step back and accept 'democracy', the games were forced on all
of us, now, having said that, I will put all of my grumblings on the back burner
and enjoy the games, but totally from my living room, as no regular folk can afford to attend the games anyway, but my 52 inch tv will bring me the games
better than being there, so I don't mind.
D B is right to a point, but just as Kreskin says, we can't take care of those who
will be where they are no matter how much help is given, those are hopeless
people who don't 'get it', and don't want to 'get it', so be it.
The Calgary games were a great success, financially and otherwise.
The economy might take that away from the vancouver games, no one can
control that problem right now, so I wish them good luck, and hope I am still
alive when the debt is paid off.
 
JLM
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

People are upset because they didn't get a chance to actually 'vote' properly for or
against the olymics in vancouver, the vote that was taken was 'bogus'. If a proper
vote was taken and it was voted 'yes' to host the games, then those who are upset
would have had to step back and accept 'democracy', the games were forced on all
of us, now, having said that, I will put all of my grumblings on the back burner
and enjoy the games, but totally from my living room, as no regular folk can afford to attend the games anyway, but my 52 inch tv will bring me the games
better than being there, so I don't mind.
D B is right to a point, but just as Kreskin says, we can't take care of those who
will be where they are no matter how much help is given, those are hopeless
people who don't 'get it', and don't want to 'get it', so be it.
The Calgary games were a great success, financially and otherwise.
The economy might take that away from the vancouver games, no one can
control that problem right now, so I wish them good luck, and hope I am still
alive when the debt is paid off.

Talloola- it's probably a slim chance our grand children will be alive when that debt is paid off.
 
Francis2004
#21
Sorry but if I am not mistake here are some of the benefits of the Olympics which I do not plan to attend and hardly watch ( Hockey maybe ). Many of these are not included into "Olympics" type of press releases as they are dual type of projects but one cannot deny the requirement of these for the Olympics as well as the day to day improvement of Vancouver / BC life..

Sea to Sky Highway Project
Sea to Sky Highway Improvement Project - Home Page

Golden Ears Bridge
Golden Ears Bridge | Overview (external - login to view)

Pitt River Bridge Reconstruction
Pitt River Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Canada Line ( Skytrain )
Canada Line | Home (external - login to view)

Maple Ridge Hospital
NEW ER AND PATIENT CARE CENTRE OPENS IN MAPLE RIDGE

BC Government buys Housing for poor
B.C. buys up social housing (external - login to view)

Now you must be saying how much does SirFrancis have invested in all this.. ZERO.. I am just making a point that people look at the negative aspect of everything, not the positive..
 
Tyr
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

What are we as a society supposed to do, stop all economic activity forever so people can smoke crack and sleep in grocery carts? Cancel the Olympics and play folk music for them? Why are people with nothing trying to live in the middle of an expensive city? They should be relocated to their families, or to hospitals where they can be treated. There is nothing you or I can ever do to make their lives work where they are.

thanks for your take on social engineering

What are we as a society supposed to do, stop all economic activity forever so people can smoke crack and sleep in grocery carts?

and 100% of the homeless and people who live in poverty are hardcore drug addicts... Hm, I guess there must be upwards of 20,000 hardcore addicts in Vancouver and nearly 100,000 in BC.

Why are people with nothing trying to live in the middle of an expensive city? They should be relocated to their families, or to hospitals where they can be treated.

The hospitals are full (and expensive to both you and me to maintain with tax dollares) and what if they do not have families?

You 50's attitude towards social ills in astounding
 
darkbeaver
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

DB you've reached a new high in ridiculous.

You are not forced to like the olympics DB, but you should at least get your information right.

You are an expert in the ridiculous now?
I got my information right, the crust will scrape most of the loot off the top for consulting and then there's finance and then there's advertising and a hundred other worthless adventures with public money. They aren't talking about the real economy Juan they're talking about the financial economy,since when do the people make out double plus good on big fat projects like this? The crumbs, a bit of smoke ,some patriotic music, teeshirts,beer mugs, dorky little olympic banners and some foolish contest to name a stuffed mascot and a bunch of buildings most people can't afford to enjoy or don't have the time to enjoy because they have work three or four jobs to eat. Screw your olympdicks.
 
#juan
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrView Post

thanks for your take on social engineering

What are we as a society supposed to do, stop all economic activity forever so people can smoke crack and sleep in grocery carts?

and 100% of the homeless and people who live in poverty are hardcore drug addicts... Hm, I guess there must be upwards of 20,000 hardcore addicts in Vancouver and nearly 100,000 in BC.

Why are people with nothing trying to live in the middle of an expensive city? They should be relocated to their families, or to hospitals where they can be treated.

The hospitals are full (and expensive to both you and me to maintain with tax dollares) and what if they do not have families?

You 50's attitude towards social ills in astounding

They seem to have the right idea in Singapore:
Quote:

Lee Kuan Yew, former prime minister of Singapore, knew the answer to this cancerous problem. He saw his country being torn apart by the heroin trade and decided that stringent measures were required to stop it. I received his blunt, clear message on a plane before landing in Singapore. A card, government issued, was handed to me that read, "Death for drug traffickers under Singapore law." This greeting gets your attention.
Lee Kuun Yew also knew that if you show your teeth you must be prepared to bite. If not, the law is ineffective. And since 1991 it's reported that 420 people have been executed, mostly due to drug trafficking.

 
CanadianLove
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrView Post

The "elephant-in-the-room" is what are they going to do with the poverty and homelessness in Vasncouver when we are "on the world stage". Do they want those pictures flashed around the world?

The city bought all the slum hotels that were been shut down a couple of years earlier by the health inspectors. They are in the process of reburbishing them to get the people out of sight by next year. I don't know what they will do to the ones who refuse to get inside out of the weather. Their are a good number who do not trust anyone enough to even go to the 'Sally Ann' to eat. Sooner dumpster dive and sleep under the bridges and loading docks.
 
#juan
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

There's nothing like watching spoiled privilaged clowns beating the clocks for kicks while the planet falls into ruin at the hands of the filthy bankers. The olympics should be banned forever as the giant obscene spectacle that it is. Who gives a **** if you can ski fast?

DB you are obviously a frustrated Socialist/Communist, whatever. Very few of our athletes are from "privileged" families. In fact many work at part time jobs to pay for training, equipment, etc. Canada doesn't pay nearly what a lot of countries pay for athletes in training.
 
JLM
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

DB you are obviously a frustrated Socialist/Communist, whatever. Very few of our athletes are from "privileged" families. In fact many work at part time jobs to pay for training, equipment, etc. Canada doesn't pay nearly what a lot of countries pay for athletes in training.

I don't see any problem with athletes having a venue to compete, but I do see a problem when pensioners like myself are going to have to foot a bill for $billions to impress the whole wide world because whoever did the estimates screwed it up. What excuse could there possibly be for a security est. of $150 million turning out to be a $billion? The persons doing the estimates obviously would never survive in business which includes giving estimates to prospective customers. A lot to do with the 2010 Charade has nothing to do with sports competition and much to do to show placing Vancouver to the world. We did that back in 1986 and who did we attract? A lot of the most undesirable type of immigrants and now we can't get rid of them.
 
Kreskin
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrView Post

thanks for your take on social engineering

What are we as a society supposed to do, stop all economic activity forever so people can smoke crack and sleep in grocery carts?

and 100% of the homeless and people who live in poverty are hardcore drug addicts... Hm, I guess there must be upwards of 20,000 hardcore addicts in Vancouver and nearly 100,000 in BC.

Why are people with nothing trying to live in the middle of an expensive city? They should be relocated to their families, or to hospitals where they can be treated.

The hospitals are full (and expensive to both you and me to maintain with tax dollares) and what if they do not have families?

You 50's attitude towards social ills in astounding

What I find astounding is people complaining about the Olympics as if it will go away. I have news for them - it won't. So make the best of it rather than ruin a good thing. If a great event for this city is in danger of being tarnished by those with chronic negativity syndrome I support taking action. I'm bloody tired of people who whine about anything and everything. If organized whiners want to picket during the Olympics I say toss them in jail for 27 days so the rest of us can host the world without their nonsense. And it's about time someone did something to clean up the drug invested nuthouse on the downtown east side.
 
Francis2004
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by CanadianLoveView Post

The city bought all the slum hotels that were been shut down a couple of years earlier by the health inspectors. They are in the process of reburbishing them to get the people out of sight by next year. I don't know what they will do to the ones who refuse to get inside out of the weather. Their are a good number who do not trust anyone enough to even go to the 'Sally Ann' to eat. Sooner dumpster dive and sleep under the bridges and loading docks.

Your right CanadianLove in that many of the street people do not want to stay in shelters. The issue is that many cannot bring in their "shopping carts of belongings" and although this may sound selfish to us, it is often all these people have. I also understand that even with the Upgrades the Government is doing to the older structures there is still a extremely high theft level amongst the general populations for the good ( money, clothes ) that can be brought is.

I am still in favour of all the Government is doing and they could possibly do more but how can we justify doing more when often these buildings sit at 75% occupency only.

You cannot force the people off the street.
 
JLM
#30
"And it's about time someone did something to clean up the drug invested nuthouse on the downtown east side."- All of that could be accomplished with money we are spending on the 2010 Charade.
 

Similar Threads

10
A History of the Winter Olympics 1924 - 2010
by Harry Hayfield | Mar 4th, 2010
29
2010 Winter Olympics Worst Ever?
by Bar Sinister | Feb 23rd, 2010
12
6
2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics
by I think not | May 26th, 2006
no new posts