The 2010 Charade (Winter Olympics)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Giant waste of money. We will be paying for it for at least thirty years just so Gordon Campbell and his rich friends can show off. Meanwhile the disadvantaged have to get by with substandard health care and other services and living far below the poverty line. Sorry, but it is all a crock.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There's nothing like watching spoiled privilaged clowns beating the clocks for kicks while the planet falls into ruin at the hands of the filthy bankers. The olympics should be banned forever as the giant obscene spectacle that it is. Who gives a **** if you can ski fast?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There's nothing like watching spoiled privilaged clowns beating the clocks for kicks while the planet falls into ruin at the hands of the filthy bankers. The olympics should be banned forever as the giant obscene spectacle that it is. Who gives a **** if you can ski fast?

Excellent points there Beaver.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If it wasn't for this project Vancouver would be a wasteland right now. I realize that is the dream of many, to live in a cardboard box while Armeggedon is in progress, but it isn't mine. We'll reap the benefits of this for a decade or two. I do care about how fast someone can ski, and if they ever host a fat guy luge competition..I'm in.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The benefits to greater Vancouver from holding the Winter olympics will be far greater than the costs. Millions of visiters and worldwide television rights will contribute to Vancouver's fortunes and some of the sports infrastructure will remain in the city to benefit B.C. athletes for years. Threre are some truly depressing people on these forums who would see negatives in a kid's birthday party.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Everything fun is a "waste of money". That doesn't stop me from doing fun things. The Olympics aren't my cup of tea, but some people really enjoy them so I say have at er!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The benefits to greater Vancouver from holding the Winter olympics will be far greater than the costs. Millions of visiters and worldwide television rights will contribute to Vancouver's fortunes and some of the sports infrastructure will remain in the city to benefit B.C. athletes for years. Threre are some truly depressing people on these forums who would see negatives in a kid's birthday party.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. How do we know the returns will outweigh the costs? Sure we'll have more sport's infrastructure. Is that what we really need or do we need more hospitals, bridges, prisons etc.? Should be not be beefing up the existing infrastructure to make them more earthquake resistant. If the Olympics are so great why are we going to end up with a bill that is about ten times the amount originally planned? Is sports a more important aspect of our lives than our health and our safety and our ability to conduct business?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
The "elephant-in-the-room" is what are they going to do with the poverty and homelessness in Vasncouver when we are "on the world stage". Do they want those pictures flashed around the world?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's time something dramatic happened with East Hastings anyway. It's about 10 blocks full of drug addicts that would prositute your mother in a heartbeat. It's time for those people to get lives. I say mow it down.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It's time something dramatic happened with East Hastings anyway. It's about 10 blocks full of drug addicts that would prositute your mother in a heartbeat. It's time for those people to get lives. I say mow it down.

brilliant. Now there's a cronstructive reply. And where will the "addicts" go. Should they be packed in the buildings prior to dentonation?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
brilliant. Now there's a cronstructive reply. And where will the "addicts" go. Should they be packed in the buildings prior to dentonation?

That's one of the problems with the Olympics- it's mostly to do with the "Haves" and those born with a silver spoon in their mouths, which is alright as long as it doesn't take away from ordinary folks, which I believe it does- one example being people having to move out of their homes because the landlords want to up grade them in time to rent them out for the big bucks. Leaving the drug addicts and criminal out of the argument, the Olympics is still a bad idea that we can not afford.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What are we as a society supposed to do, stop all economic activity forever so people can smoke crack and sleep in grocery carts? Cancel the Olympics and play folk music for them? Why are people with nothing trying to live in the middle of an expensive city? They should be relocated to their families, or to hospitals where they can be treated. There is nothing you or I can ever do to make their lives work where they are.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We can't afford relocation and treatment Kreskin we have to help thousands of wealthy ski bums and other assorted professional leeches fulfill thier useless dreams of podium mounting. Sport is not supposed to be an economic activity, it creates absolutely nothing but sweat. The Olympics never made anything for the common man but mountains of debt. It should be ilegal to waste energy at sport when it could be applied to building houses or roads or farming.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What are we as a society supposed to do, stop all economic activity forever so people can smoke crack and sleep in grocery carts? Cancel the Olympics and play folk music for them? Why are people with nothing trying to live in the middle of an expensive city? They should be relocated to their families, or to hospitals where they can be treated. There is nothing you or I can ever do to make their lives work where they are.

As I pointed out in my last post, we should leave the druggies etc. out of it and spending the money on necessities for the productive working poor, who need services. We can' t do much for the druggies and people who sleep in grocery carts except show them a little understanding and realize that many of them didn't get dealt "a very good hand".

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We can't afford relocation and treatment Kreskin we have to help thousands of wealthy ski bums and other assorted professional leeches fulfill thier useless dreams of podium mounting. Sport is not supposed to be an economic activity, it creates absolutely nothing but sweat. The Olympics never made anything for the common man but mountains of debt. It should be ilegal to waste energy at sport when it could be applied to building houses or roads or farming.

DB you've reached a new high in ridiculous.

The only other Canadian Winter Olympic Games (Calgary 1988), contributed more than $1.4 billion to the Canadian economy in the lead up to the Games during the 1980s. Positive economic impacts were associated with capital facilities, enhanced business, tourism and sports opportunities, and extra employment/household income.
In the end, the 1988 Olympic Winter Games recorded a profit that fuelled an endowment fund of more than $60 million that is now worth $170 million. (Source: Final Report of the Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games; VANOC Impact of North American Winter Games on Host Communities Study). Among other legacies, the 1988 Olympic Winter Games left a wealth of recreational and high performance sport infrastructure that was a major contributing factor to Canada's 24 medals at the Torino 2006 Games.

You are not forced to like the olympics DB, but you should at least get your information right.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

DB you've reached a new high in ridiculous.

The only other Canadian Winter Olympic Games (Calgary 1988), contributed more than $1.4 billion to the Canadian economy in the lead up to the Games during the 1980s. Positive economic impacts were associated with capital facilities, enhanced business, tourism and sports opportunities, and extra employment/household income.
In the end, the 1988 Olympic Winter Games recorded a profit that fuelled an endowment fund of more than $60 million that is now worth $170 million. (Source: Final Report of the Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games; VANOC Impact of North American Winter Games on Host Communities Study). Among other legacies, the 1988 Olympic Winter Games left a wealth of recreational and high performance sport infrastructure that was a major contributing factor to Canada's 24 medals at the Torino 2006 Games.
You are not forced to like the olympics DB, but you should at least get your information right.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think people should be able to express an opinion and discuss it sanely without someone retorting in a sarcastic manner. A lot of people who are having problems making "ends meet", are opposed to "upper crust" getting a free ride. I have no problem with that.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
People are upset because they didn't get a chance to actually 'vote' properly for or
against the olymics in vancouver, the vote that was taken was 'bogus'. If a proper
vote was taken and it was voted 'yes' to host the games, then those who are upset
would have had to step back and accept 'democracy', the games were forced on all
of us, now, having said that, I will put all of my grumblings on the back burner
and enjoy the games, but totally from my living room, as no regular folk can afford to attend the games anyway, but my 52 inch tv will bring me the games
better than being there, so I don't mind.
D B is right to a point, but just as Kreskin says, we can't take care of those who
will be where they are no matter how much help is given, those are hopeless
people who don't 'get it', and don't want to 'get it', so be it.
The Calgary games were a great success, financially and otherwise.
The economy might take that away from the vancouver games, no one can
control that problem right now, so I wish them good luck, and hope I am still
alive when the debt is paid off.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
People are upset because they didn't get a chance to actually 'vote' properly for or
against the olymics in vancouver, the vote that was taken was 'bogus'. If a proper
vote was taken and it was voted 'yes' to host the games, then those who are upset
would have had to step back and accept 'democracy', the games were forced on all
of us, now, having said that, I will put all of my grumblings on the back burner
and enjoy the games, but totally from my living room, as no regular folk can afford to attend the games anyway, but my 52 inch tv will bring me the games
better than being there, so I don't mind.
D B is right to a point, but just as Kreskin says, we can't take care of those who
will be where they are no matter how much help is given, those are hopeless
people who don't 'get it', and don't want to 'get it', so be it.
The Calgary games were a great success, financially and otherwise.
The economy might take that away from the vancouver games, no one can
control that problem right now, so I wish them good luck, and hope I am still
alive when the debt is paid off.

Talloola- it's probably a slim chance our grand children will be alive when that debt is paid off.