Young Canadians NOT voting

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Getting young Canadians to vote

Most young Canadians are not participating in the democratic process.

Reforming electoral laws is not a complete answer, but it could represent an important step towards reversing the trend.

Bill C-24, an Act to amend the Canada Elections Act and the Income Tax Act (Political Financing), was passed on June 11, 2003, moving the federal government into the business of funding Canada's political parties.

This was the federal government's most dramatic foray into political financing since the 1974 Election Expenses Act, which created Canada's regime for the financing of federal elections. Then Government House leader Don Boudria stated that Bill C-24 would "strengthen the connection between Canadians and their political institutions."

This goal was to be achieved by replacing the largely laissez-faire financing approach with public financing. Doing so, it was argued, would remove the perception that big money begets big political favours. Specifically, the legislation limits the amount corporations and unions can donate to $1,000 and compensates that loss with a $1.75 taxpayer subsidy for each vote received.

Given that one of the main objectives of Bill C-24 was to strengthen the connection between Canadians and their government, it must have been designed, in part, to stem the tide of an alarming trend within Canadian politics: apathy.

The statistics clearly show that Canadians are increasingly opting out of the political process. Nowhere is this downturn more apparent than within the ranks of Canada's youth.

According to statistics published in a report commissioned by Elections Canada, turnout among 18 to 20 year-olds in the 2000 federal election was a mere 22 per cent, compared with an 80 per cent turnout rate for 58 to 67 year-olds.

Many academics once took solace in the "life cycle" argument, maintaining that voter turnout would increase as the young matured and were faced with the financial and social burdens associated with adult life.

This prediction has not come to fruition.

Indeed, Elections Canada stated unequivocally in a recent pronouncement on youth electoral participation that "today's young people are not showing signs of becoming more likely to vote as they age."

Because young Canadians seem more under-engaged than apathetic, there is reason for optimism. In a recent examination of declining electoral turnout among Canada's youth, Prof. Brenda O'Neill of the University of Manitoba, found that 18 to 27 year-olds were much less likely than their older counterparts to agree to statements such as: "people like me do not have much say over what the government does."

Her conclusion is cautiously optimistic: "Although younger Canadians appear to be less politically engaged, this disengagement appears less a conscious decision to turn away from politics than a failure to see the importance of political participation."

And therein lies an ugly truth in Canadian politics: Young people are largely ignored. Political parties, by necessity, are rational, calculating creatures. As such, a vicious cycle has formed as political parties do not want to "throw good money after bad" by courting a youth vote that is unreliable at best. The new legislation may be able to combat this dangerous cycle of increasingly low levels of political participation within the ranks of Canada's youth.

If the state is in the business of funding political parties, earmarking a proportional amount of money that each political party receives to develop youth oriented policy initiatives and campaign materials that target the youth vote may begin the process of engaging young Canadians. Ensuring the implementation of these youth-based policies and promotional materials could be achieved with the "carrot" of increased funding or with the "stick" of a financial penalty for not reaching out to young Canadians in accordance with the amended Act.

Bill C-24 may prove to be (in the words of former Liberal Party president Stephen LeDrew) "as dumb as a sack of hammers"— only time will tell. In the meantime, it certainly is an opportunity to re-engage Canada's youth in our democratic process. Ultimately, what is required is a broad-based attitudinal change; politicians, and citizens of all ages have to take responsibility for our collective future. This new electoral reform initiative, if styled appropriately, may go a long way in facilitating youth empowerment and a more vibrant democracy.

With a voter turnout of 22 per cent among 18 to 20 year-olds, one might ask: How much worse can it get? Without some political capital spent on this issue, we may all just find out.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
When will these guys get out there and vote for once? It's alright to be young, you're busy, you're not interested in politics... whatever. There's so many reasons why young people don't vote. But you gotta get out there and have your voice heard!

It doesn't matter if you are or are not interested in politics. Whoever gets in effects all Canadians, and you have to make that decision of having YOUR ballot count.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
This bothers me as well... but I understand the frustration of the youth.

Myself - instead of just not voting I chose to start a new democracy advocacy group and fight for change. Of course not everyone is going to do that but what everyone can do is support the 'fringe' parties by voting for them. under the new elections laws, each vote a party gets means funding. the small parties NEED that money more than the large ones.

If you want to see other change - just email, fax or phone your MP - afterall they are there to represent you. If you feel they are ignoring you - go over their heads and bring your concerns to the media. Politicians are like roaches - they will scurry when the news is bad.

For those looking for an interesting show on this subject be sure to catch:

Screw the Vote Sunday, May 23rd at 7:00 PM ET on Newsworld, then have your say on our post-STV call in show!

Look for me - the dude from Surrey.

Take care and vote - biased opinion warning! Vote CAP! :)

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
i think it might be a case of young canadians not recognizing or appreciating their freedom and democracy. everybody should go out and vote, it's what makes canada and so many other democratic countries great.

go out and vote everyone!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Cyberm4n said:
i think it might be a case of young canadians not recognizing or appreciating their freedom and democracy. everybody should go out and vote, it's what makes canada and so many other democratic countries great.

go out and vote everyone!

You might be right here, Cyberm4n.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
http://www.cbc.ca/screwthevote/

It is illegal for anyone to lie about a candidate during a federal election campaign, but it is legal for candidates to lie about what they promise to do or what they have done in every province except British Columbia.

If any corporation or corporate executive lies to their shareholders, the shareholders have the right to go to court and seek compensation for the damages done by the lies.

In the study circle method, several small groups of citizens chosen through a statistically representative process discuss the issue in question over three sessions, and then make recommendations. Unlike telephone or focus-group polls, the multiple sessions in the study circle method allow participants to learn all the facts and figures about an issue before they are asked their opinion about what they think the government should do.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
I have sufficient knowledge concerning Politics and I DO WANT to vote, however, the only dilemna that is keeping me from voting is that I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO VOTE!!!! I have been searching the internet for hours and asking people and I am still stumped.

That is MY problem. That is why I cannot vote!

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Your supose to recieve a letter.....

If I were you, I would call any party organisation and asked them...they will answer you.

BuzzzWorthy

May 24, 2004
Toronto
As a member of the NDP Party and an active marijuana legalization activist I can attest to the fact that the NDP have made serious efforts to attract the younger vote and the recent alliance between the Marijuana Party and the NDP is very promising as far as in roads go. For information visit NDPot.ca and also the upcoming Fill The Hill event in Ottawa on June 5th is to be attended by numerous NDP candidates and elected officials. Hope you stop by and drop Jack a line.

Buzzz Worthy
Joint Venture Coordinator
Cannabis In Canada
buzzz@cannabiscanada.ca
Vote NDP and Rock The Vote

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Ahh, I'm a bloc member. And we have done the same with this election. Out of 75 candidates, 25 are under 30.We will be going to bars, clubs, La Ronde... Everywhere that young people are, we will be. One fact is for our party, the younger generation will mostly likely vote for the Bloc, and souvrainty. I grew up knowing I was Québécois. The generation before me, it was quite different. This is why the young vote is quite important for my party.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Young Canadian said:
I have sufficient knowledge concerning Politics and I DO WANT to vote, however, the only dilemna that is keeping me from voting is that I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO VOTE!!!! I have been searching the internet for hours and asking people and I am still stumped.

Call your local MP.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Young Canadian said:

Your voter registration card will come soon and with it will be details of where you can vote. If you are overseas and looking to do an advance vote or absentee - contact Elections Canada

elections.ca

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
When will these guys get out there and vote for once?

Voting is not mandatory. They have as much right to exercise their right not to vote.

It's alright to be young, you're busy, you're not interested in politics... whatever. There's so many reasons why young people don't vote. But you gotta get out there and have your voice heard!

More and more they seem to be equating low voting turnout with disenchantment from the political process. Thus, by not voting you are in fact voicing your opinion. The only way to not voice an opinion is if you were unaware of an election. If someone chooses not to vote simply because they do not care about politics, we may think that it is an apathetic, uninformed or what-have-you opinion, but it is an opinion none the lest.

To Cyberm4n

everybody should go out and vote, it's what makes Canada and so many other democratic countries great.

Yet, the simple act of voting does not necessarily make a stronger democracy. I think that a democracy would be stronger if 50% of the population made a conscious effort to have rational and informed decisions compared to 100% voting were people simply mechanically mark an X on a piece of paper. Thus, to have a strong democracy you must instill and empower the population with the idea that they are rational human beings capable of making such choices and not a bunch of irrational hormones that need to be manipulated...

The contradiction here lies with the fact that to have a strong democracy you need to have intelligent human beings making informed decisions but our political process falls short of treating people as such and does not empower them...

i think it might be a case of young Canadians not recognizing or appreciating their freedom and democracy.

I think it is a case of our society dehumanizing people instead of treating them as human beings capable of intelligent decisions.

Anyways! I wrote this a bit hastily so I hope it makes sense and that my point is fairly explicit.

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
Gast said:
To Cyberm4n

everybody should go out and vote, it's what makes Canada and so many other democratic countries great.

Yet, the simple act of voting does not necessarily make a stronger democracy. I think that a democracy would be stronger if 50% of the population made a conscious effort to have rational and informed decisions compared to 100% voting were people simply mechanically mark an X on a piece of paper. Thus, to have a strong democracy you must instill and empower the population with the idea that they are rational human beings capable of making such choices and not a bunch of irrational hormones that need to be manipulated...

there are no disagreements on my end, sir. the first step is to get voter turnout done with. that's a big challenge, but what comes with that is voter education. get some food for thought in those people who like to eat up facts.

firefly4

Jun 4, 2004
There is actually an initiative underway in New Brunwick right now being performed by the government. They are hosting an online questionnaire and discussion forum linked off of http://www.gnb.ca/cnb/promos/Leg-Dem/index-e.asp. Check out the interactive features on the right hand side and make your voices heard. The data gathered from this discussion is being presented directly to the Premier in the fall of 2004, so it seems like an ideal place to offer ideas, criticism, discussion...

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
In Australia they have mandatory voting, which means there's a fine of $20 (or something like that) if you don't vote.

I wonder if that would change anything here. Of course, it wouldn't make young people in general more interested in politics, but maybe if it just changes the attitude of a small percentage of those that don't vote... well, I don't know.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't like the idea of forcing people to vote. I think education and a shift to proportional representation would do a fair bit to bring more people, young and old, to the polls.