WWII in color

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
For so many years, historians and casual observers alike have observed the events of World War II through faded black and white images. What most people do not know is the fact that quite a large portion of the WWII was shot using color film! However, it wasn't until recently that a lot of the photographs and motion picture footage was de-classified by the U.S. Government.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
You know, funny thing, WWII is starting to look
quite ancient in my own lifetime, after having grown
up on many varied WWII movies culminating in the last
two great ones, Saving Private Ryan, and The Thin Red Line --- both having come out in the same year.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I wonder why it would take so long to get these picturers out? I've seen colour photo's from ww2 before, but really, it's very rare. I know most of us have seen the old coloured pics of Hitler.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I've seen color footage of WWII, especially of the
Pacific theatre since I was a kid in the early 1960s.

So I would have no reason to wonder why color pictures
took so long to come out. They didn't take one minute
too long to come out. They came out right away.

But it appears that way because most people didn't
have color tv until the mid 60s.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, not really war, but pre-war, I saw an amazing program on History a couple of years ago called "The Third Reich in Colour". It was previously 'never seen' footage from even Eva Braun's camera.

It really gives a different depth and dimension to what things were like back then and of course, illustrated the ideaology of Hitler and his gang. I recently saw Triumph des Willens, and while the film was amazingly done, it just didn't illustrate as much as the old films reels in colour of the period.

I wonder why they are always coming out with footage that has supposedly never been seen? Why would it take so long to get these things :p

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: WWII in color

Andem said:
Well, not really war, but pre-war, I saw an amazing program on History a couple of years ago called "The Third Reich in Colour". It was previously 'never seen' footage from even Eva Braun's camera.

It really gives a different depth and dimension to what things were like back then and of course, illustrated the ideaology of Hitler and his gang. I recently saw Triumph des Willens, and while the film was amazingly done, it just didn't illustrate as much as the old films reels in colour of the period.

I wonder why they are always coming out with footage that has supposedly never been seen? Why would it take so long to get these things :p

Yeah I remember seeing that as well.