William Shatner sets record straight after rumoured 'Star Trek' return

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
40,856
4,101
113
William Shatner sets record straight after rumoured 'Star Trek' return
Actor says he'll consider a return if someone comes up with a 'genuinely interesting' idea

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Published Sep 28, 2026 • Last updated 13 hours ago • 4 minute read
William Shatner as the iconic Captain Kirk in the 'Star Trek' episode, 'Where Man Has Gone Before.'
William Shatner as the iconic Captain Kirk in the 'Star Trek' episode, 'Where Man Has Gone Before.' Photo by NBC /Sun Media Archive

William Shatner won’t be beaming up for another turn as Captain James T. Kirk.


The veteran actor took to social media to “put a stop to the rumour mill” that he’s returning to Star Trek to reprise the role he played from 1966 to 1994.

“Let me say this,” Shatner, 95, wrote in a recent X post that has been viewed more than 2.1 million times. “If someone came up with a meaningful way to bring Captain Kirk back to life, and gave him something genuinely interesting to do that added to the spirit and beauty of Star Trek, I would be delighted to consider it.”

Kirk was famously killed off in 1994’s Star Trek: Generations. After J.J. Abrams’ 2009 reboot created an alternate timeline, fans have clamoured for Kirk’s return, but Shatner says the possibility “has never come up.”

“I love Star Trek just as much as all of you folks do,” he continued. “Kirk has been an extraordinary part of my life, and I would never want to bring him back simply for the sake of bringing him back.”

Shatner ended his message by inviting writers to come up with an interesting storyline that could resurrect Kirk.


“Until someone comes knocking with an idea worthy of Kirk … I wait. For them. Or eternity,” Shatner concluded.

Generations
Patrick Stewart and William Shatner in a scene from ‘Star Trek Generations.’ Photo by Paramount Pictures
In the comments, Shatner’s followers praised the actor for not reprising Kirk for a “cash grab.”

“You were the best person for the role. Millions love you for it,” one fan wrote, with another adding, “Let him remain in memory if and until there’s a great reason to put him on the stage, once more.”

“Whether you come back or not, Kirk was one of the greatest characters brought to life and I’ll forever remember the adventures,” a third person continued.

Shatner’s response came after Star Trek: Strange New Worlds executive producer Henry Alonso Myers told TrekMovie the show tried to recruit him for an appearance.

“We were genuinely having a long discussion with him about it,” he said. “We wanted to find something that would have pulled him in and made him interested. Sometimes it’s hard to find something on the same page as the people you want to work with.”


Shatner has previously ruled out returning as Kirk
Shatner has fielded questions about his return as Kirk for decades. He famously brought the character back to life in his 1996 novel The Return.

But speculation mounted after Patrick Stewart reprised his Star Trek: The Next Generation character Jean-Luc Picard in a spinoff series in 2020.

“I’m wishing Patrick all the best,” Shatner told Postmedia in 2018. “I hope he does really well going back to Star Trek, but that isn’t for me.”

In an earlier interview, he challenged writers to come up with an idea he thought could be worthy of his return.

“I want you to solve the mystery of bringing me, 50 years later, back as Captain Kirk. I want you to solve that mystery,” he said in a 2016 interview.

When Quentin Tarantino revealed he had written a Star Trek script, Shatner said he would be interested in playing Kirk in the possible movie.

But in a 2024 interview with the Canadian Press, Shatner floated the idea of returning as a younger version of Kirk using de-aging technology similar to how 80-year-old Harrison Ford appeared during the opening sequence of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Shatner, who was then a spokesperson for Otoy, a company specializing in technology that “takes years off of your face,” said a boyish Kirk could reappear and “look 10, 20, 30, 50 years younger.”


He also floated a storyline that could see Kirk brought back from the dead.

“‘We’ve got Captain Kirk’s brain frozen here,’” he said, imagining a scene in which his character is revived. “There’s a scenario. ‘Let’s see if we can bring back a little bit of this, a little salt, a little pepper (in his hair). Oh, look at that. Here comes Captain Kirk!’”

Still, Shatner has thought often about Kirk’s legacy and his final onscreen appearance.

In a chat with Postmedia in 2022, not long after he went to space on Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin ship, Shatner said he regretted how he delivered Kirk’s final line, “Oh my.”

William Shatner as Captain Kirk from 'Star Trek.'
William Shatner as Captain Kirk from ‘Star Trek.’ Copy Photo
“When this character was dying, I thought, ‘How do you die?'” Shatner said. “I’ve heard of people weeping. My father was incapacitated, he had had a stroke and he had tears in his eyes and I wonder quite often what he was crying about. Was he crying about leaving? I loved him very much and he loved me. Was he weeping because of me and leaving this world? … So I thought, ‘How would Captain Kirk die?’ Captain Kirk, who has faced death so often. I thought he would look at death approaching with the same awe and wonder that he looked at these strange beings that he faced in the years I played him.”

Shatner wanted his last words to reflect “the awe and wonder that he looked at the universe.”

“The, ‘Oh my,’ was supposed to be a ‘wow.’ What came out had an element of dread, and I didn’t want that. I didn’t play it exactly the way I wanted to, which was, ‘Oh my, the gorgeousness of death. What’s going to happen?'”

mdaniell@postmedia.com
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ron in Regina