Why oh Why Isn't this Working?

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
For a week now I have been trying to hang lights in the windows at home. First I checked that all the strings worked and then hung them up with care with these stickey hangey up things. Well about an hour later a stickey hangey up thing pops off. I reapply it, and give all the others a little extra push in case they were loose. I wake up in the morning and all the lights have fallen down and there is paint missing from where these 'peel off' stickey hangey up things were. I am not amused.

So off to the store I go to guy the suction cup hangey up things. Again I think I did a great job, only forgot to check to see that the lights still worked, nope they don't. So off to the store I go again and I come home with new strands a lights only to find out these lights are oval in shape and don't work the suction cup hangey up things nor the reflectors.

What is so flipping hard about hanging lights? Why won't the light gods let me do this? Is there some hidden message here?

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
My hubby is mad but I used small nails this year. I was tired of hanging my lights every day, sometimes more than once.
Now you may be onto something. An invention to make hanging your lights easier........hmmmmmmm

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Forget sticky-up things, bev, or even suction cups; gravity will always overcome. Bite the bullet and use small screw-in hooks, instead - they'll only leave a small hole, and they're guaranteed 100% gravity proof.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Do they have the 3M pull-strip stickey hangey up things for lights? I know the larger ones will hang a 15lb picture for two years without any problems (took it down after two years and the stickey stuff pulled right off ... just like in the commericals 8O ).

Alternately... just use a few finishing nails or upholstery tacks :)

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I wanted to use nails and such but ohh no can't do that, just had the place painted last year. And now again. And no I didn't let them set.

Canucklehead, it wasn't the good 3M stuff, just the christmas stuff that Cdn Tire flogs. Maybe next year.

Coulda Shoulda Woulda

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Darn Christmas lights! :twisted: Of course I waited until it was -10C before hanging up my lights outside. I dutifully checked all the lights before haning them - all ok. Once I got everything setup half an entire line was out. Checked all the bulbs with no luck. Ok, off to Canadian Tire for a new line of lights, changed them in the freezing cold. A couple days later, another half of a line goes out. A few days after that, some more lights go off. Like, WTF!!??? :?

Are these things made to intentially drive people nuts??

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Bight the bullet Mike and buy LEd lights I've had mine for 3 years not a problem and they save ya a ton of money on your high electrical costs back there :wink: I got the pleasure of putting mine up in -10 too damn near fell off the roof cursed the wife the whole time :lol: :lol: Christmas Bah Humbug

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
mrmom2 said:
Bight the bullet Mike and buy LEd lights I've had mine for 3 years not a problem and they save ya a ton of money on your high electrical costs back there :wink: I got the pleasure of putting mine up in -10 too damn near fell off the roof cursed the wife the whole time :lol: :lol: Christmas Bah Humbug

I've got LED lights!!! They're brand new!!! :twisted:

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
That's hilarious. Another reason I am glad I don't own a house. This apartment decorating is easy as pie. No climbing (balcony), no problems.
Yay me.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I am starting to switch over to the LED lights. I figure I've got about 1 year left just on the bulbs that I have, so I'll use them up and then switch over. I got the lights for the christmas tree in LED, it's a start.