Why not embrace climate change?

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
Hi everyone, it's nice to be able to post again since i've had some problems logging in to the forums the last few weeks

In light of all the environmental discussions finishing up at the G8 summit I'd like to share an epiphany I've just had:

It's time to start using fossil fuels up as fast as we can.

Yep you heard me right. I'm no longer going to complain about wasting gas or air pollution cause by so many cars on the road or gas guzzling SUV's that serve no purpose other that to pad the auto-dealers and oil companie's pockets.

In fact I am welcoming the days we can no longer rely on fuels like coal and crude oil to move us around. Only then will we be forced to rely on "good clean" technologies like fuel cells and hydrogen cars. Obviously these technologies exist today but as long as oil is bringing in so much money there is no reason for governments to stop buying it and oil companies to stop selling it.

Plain and simple I am just tired of hearing about all the problems with air pollution on the radio and then go out on the street and see hundreds of cars lined up at a red light just sitting there idling away the $50 or so in gas they just paid to fill up their tank.

Just the other day I was in the longest wait i'd ever had in a Tim Horton's drive thru...and I was stuck behind a Ford Expedition. If you don't know this behemoth is only rivaled by the Hummer for it's massive size...economy is not in this vehicle producer's vocabulary. Anyway I was stuck behind this monster of an SUV for nearly 15mins as we slowly moved towards the window and I couldn't help but compare the fuel consumtion differences of our two vehicles...his huge 5.7 liter v8 to my 2.4 litre four-beater...I just didn't see the point in complaining as nothing I could say would make this person who spent about 60grand reconsider to buy something more fuel efficient.

Bring on the air pollution! Maybe it will literally take the world running out of oil to open people's eyes to the problems at hand. Sure some people may get sick or even die in the process...but they should have just bought an air conditioner with a hepa air-filter.

I have to go for a bit but i'll continue and finish my points when I get back...any thoughts so far though?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
We need oil for fertilizer and medical grade plastic...don't burn all of it.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Good point.

If human nature serves me right, people are most likley going to react after the worst has happened. I'm just not fond of facing any winters without fuel while waiting for the cleaner stuff to be discovered, this is one case I'm glad I don't live in Nunavut right now.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
"They said they were very sorry but they said one of their major sponsors had indicated there was a conflict between the message that we were promoting and their company's interests," he said.

You know what? Send the CEO of the company that said that to my house. I'll show him what a conflict is. Then I'll hose the blood off him, get out the nailer, and pin him to that big tree out back.

So send Mr. Shell to my house. Send the government lackey that backed down here too. It's a big tree and nails are cheap.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
Reverend Blair said:
You know what? Send the CEO of the company that said that to my house. I'll show him what a conflict is. Then I'll hose the blood off him, get out the nailer, and pin him to that big tree out back.

So send Mr. Shell to my house. Send the government lackey that backed down here too. It's a big tree and nails are cheap.

It was probably a shameless lawyer...not an actual company rep.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
Anyway as I was about to say and Jo Canadian did say, things have to get worse before they get better.
(btw J.C. I love all your posted toons man, keep em coming!)

I came to a sort of realization and wondering that with all the materials and stored energies they are extracting from the Earth it is only a matter of time before it's all gone...be it 50, 100, 200 years away the time will come when the planet has run out of fossil fuels.

In the mean time regardless of who is funding these projects, and as G.W.B. has been stressing, other technologies are being and will be developped that use very low to 0 amounts of fossil fuels to operate. Things like cars, buildings, even cities i'm sure can rely on alternative energy sources.

The biggest problem I see is that many people will suffer as, at the moment, our reliance is growing exponentially. The planet simply can't absorb the waste material as fast as we pump it out. Sure we can stay and work and play inside but that isn't how life works. We need as a culture to rely solely on renewable sources such as wind and solar power, and alternative fuels in order for humanity to to become fully sustainable.

Obviously I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but i'm young enough to be able to make my own little changes and in the future I plan on starting, owning and operating a world-wide renewable energy company. It won't be the first venture of this sort, nor do I hope it will be the last. But once oil is out of the way there's gonna be a lot of people who'll need power to run their lives and I'll be there getting the ball rolling.

You heard it here first folks. In the mean time bring on the athsma and cancer inducing haziness of smog and air pollution to get this disgusting phase of humanities evolution out of the way.