Why is this a crime?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Irving pleads guilty to denying the Holocaust

VIENNA, Austria -- Right-wing British historian David Irving pleaded guilty Monday to criminal charges of denying the Holocaust and conceded in court he erred in contending there were no Nazi gas chambers during the Second World War.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=7af4ab07-968b-41ab-91d2-d9ae91ae6ab0&k=88667

Why exactly is this a crime? Sure it is foolish to say such things, but should it really be a crime to deny the Holocaust?

NickFun

Electoral Member
Because it's like trying to rewrite history and absolves guilt. Some aspects of history have gone unchallenged for hundreds of years such as "Columbus discovered America". How could he discover something that was already occupied by a million people? It should read "Colombus invaded America, pillaged the land and raped the women."

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
DasFX said:
Irving pleads guilty to denying the Holocaust

VIENNA, Austria -- Right-wing British historian David Irving pleaded guilty Monday to criminal charges of denying the Holocaust and conceded in court he erred in contending there were no Nazi gas chambers during the Second World War.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=7af4ab07-968b-41ab-91d2-d9ae91ae6ab0&k=88667

Why exactly is this a crime? Sure it is foolish to say such things, but should it really be a crime to deny the Holocaust?

I don't think it should be illegal to be an idiot... but this man should be thouroughly ridiculed and proven wrong by those in the know. By jailing him, you're just giving him and his followers ammunition to argue that the government is trying to silence "the truth". Let the facts about the Holocause speak for themselves to discredit this man and his wazkjob followers.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
DasFX said:

It's probably considered hate speech, can't you relate to it? You have hate speech laws in Canada.

If you ask me it SHOULDN'T be a crime.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
OK, you're all over me tonight, not that I have a problem with this mind you :p . I didn't say Canadians support hate speech laws, I said you have hate speech laws in Canada and can better relate to what Austria is doing.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Said1 said:
I think not said:
Ah, apologies.

Ha. That's crazy talk. :lol: