Where should I move in Canada? Alberta or Toronto area ?

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
Hello all, First and foremost, Am I so much energized to get the PR card that you wont believe ( or you may). It is nice to have it in your pocket and use whenever u want ..well..I am an Industrial Engineer, Master's degree from University of Oklahoma, I also have B.S. in Mechanical Engg and I am a Certified Math teacher in the USA do not know about Canada certification though. I am moving to canada in search of new life. I have heard that there is a boom in Calgary/edmonton and people are hiring outsiders and flying them there to work on the oil riggs. So, do i stand any chance of getting a 50-60k job in real? I do not have many years of experience in engineering, but i graduated in 2003 and have a year of experience. I have excellent references , excellent educational background and outstanding work ethics. I would really appreciate if you have any suggestions or ideas as you might have gone through the same situation sometime in your life. Any suggestions are welcome and and your advice is absolutely important for me.

How to start a job search ? Does Workopolis or monster really work in canada? I have heard that employers need CANADIAN experience..and I do not have any! I do have american experience though..so how does it work? how did u guys manage to get good jobs?

Also, how immigrant friendly is Alberta ? how are the downtowns? what are the living costs and stuff...i would love to know before jumping in !
Thanks in advance for helping me...

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
kale7334 said:
Hello all, First and foremost, Am I so much energized to get the PR card that you wont believe ( or you may). It is nice to have it in your pocket and use whenever u want ..well..I am an Industrial Engineer, Master's degree from University of Oklahoma, I also have B.S. in Mechanical Engg and I am a Certified Math teacher in the USA do not know about Canada certification though. I am moving to canada in search of new life. I have heard that there is a boom in Calgary/edmonton and people are hiring outsiders and flying them there to work on the oil riggs. So, do i stand any chance of getting a 50-60k job in real? I do not have many years of experience in engineering, but i graduated in 2003 and have a year of experience. I have excellent references , excellent educational background and outstanding work ethics. I would really appreciate if you have any suggestions or ideas as you might have gone through the same situation sometime in your life. Any suggestions are welcome and and your advice is absolutely important for me.

How to start a job search ? Does Workopolis or monster really work in canada? I have heard that employers need CANADIAN experience..and I do not have any! I do have american experience though..so how does it work? how did u guys manage to get good jobs?

Also, how immigrant friendly is Alberta ? how are the downtowns? what are the living costs and stuff...i would love to know before jumping in !
Thanks in advance for helping me...

For somebody with a bachelor's degree, your english leaves much to be desired. But to answer your question, if you're looking for a career in mechanical engineering, Alberta would probably be your best bet.

For big bucks, go where the oil is... for opportunity, go where the construction is... And that would be Alberta. If you're looking for work in Canada, anyway.

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
Thanks for your reply "Simpleton". It was interesting to know someone took time to write a few lines. I realllly appreciate that.
I am positive about moving to Edmonton as some friends of mine are suggesting the same. Your email brought me some luck too. A company in Toronto is asking me to work there as an IE with a starting salary of 68k. Previously some oil company in Edmonton are ready to pay 82k. I have not decided yet, but pay is more in Edmonton so I might choose that area. I am also thinking of a teachig option, lets see what the system in calgary offers me.

Well, whoever you are, you missed a point that i could communicate. Thats the difference between an uneducated person and an educated one ( not saying you are, just giving an example). Also, i see the difference between the mentality of a person living in my country (the US) against the one in Canada! Person from my country would never focus on any negative aspects in other person's ability and will always try to put positive things on the table. That might be something I need to learn to accept as I move to Canada. I do not think that ALL the canadians are like that. To add to that, I did not type this letter to publish as a research paper so there might be some basic constructional flaws or spelling mistakes which need to be ignored. It is not a smart choice to relate a person's educational background to his typiing skills or even spelling mistakes. However, it can be more wise to answer all the questions in the post to help the person who needs help instead of humiliating him.

Best of luck and thanks a bunch for your lines answering some parts of my question. Besides that, you have been lucky for me! I appreciate it a lot.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Well excuse me. I figured I had answered all of your questions.

You asked if it would be better to move to Alberta or Toronto. I said that you would probably have better luck in Alberta. I pointed out that there was construction in Alberta, and that this construction was booming in the Oil sector.

If you think that your post was poor only in structure and grammatical/Spelling errors, you are abundantly incorrect. I just expected better from a person with a university degree. If you're so arrogant as to be offended by my comments, and so blind as to see that your post was very poorly constructed, than you can't fault me for telling it like it is. Which, by the way, is pecisely what I do.

Dollars to donuts, I appear to be much more proficient with my use of the english language than you do. And I'm a high school dropout. So do the math.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Where should I move i

I have a Batchelor Honours (correctly spelt) Degree in the UK simpleton, my spellin aint so hot innit!! so lay off Kale....although I would lay off the BOLD.

I suffer from a crudy keyboard.....but you know, nevermind...I think workopolis isn't brilliant. but like Simpleton I also dropped out of school (and I dont even mean high school) so do the maths Simpleton.

It really depends what your after if it's financial I would suggest Toronto somewhere like TD Waterhouse

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
Ok Hockey...I visited toronto and saw nothing but poverty. Prolly cause i went to SCARBOROUGH. I saw some beggers on the street..in california, we see chinese people in the IT jobs and have not see a single poor chinese person ever. So it was a shock. Too many international people though which might be a good or a bad thing. Now in case of natural beauty, I think Banff is so close to Calgary that i should choose calgary as my destination. I love mountain climbing and hiking and stuff so it might be a good idea to move there. Thanks for ur post...its helping me a lot in my decision making process...keep it coming...

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

nah Daz is OK Kale, Hockey is my surname lol...but yes, Scarborough is a bit rough, but I usually stay in downtown Toronto, basically in the financial district so I dont really see many beggars...

but IT is being outsourced to places like india and south america (because india is becoming too expensive) anyway, so IT Jobs are on the wein anyway. I think chemical industies sound like a safe bet anway, personally I'm diversifying into equities anyway, thats where the real IT money is at, but you have to be down town and not in scarborough for that anyway.

But best of luck, and dont become lik my friend Malik who's a regular in toronto, he's got his Batchelor's, Master's and his PHd but cant find decent work.

* and yes, gramatically the above writings are terribly "accademically immature" but hey, it takes me ages to write and re-write a thesis...but I get there

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Where should I move i

Daz_Hockey said:
I have a Batchelor Honours (correctly spelt) Degree in the UK simpleton, my spellin aint so hot innit!! so lay off Kale....although I would lay off the BOLD.

I suffer from a crudy keyboard.....but you know, nevermind...I think workopolis isn't brilliant. but like Simpleton I also dropped out of school (and I dont even mean high school) so do the maths Simpleton.

It really depends what your after if it's financial I would suggest Toronto somewhere like TD Waterhouse

True, your spelling is not so good. Your grammar is even worse, and your message is totally lost on me. But that doesn't really matter, does it? You're not on the Internet looking for a professional career. Are you?

The math? I know the math to which I refer. What math are you talking about? IQ points?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Simpleton said:
Daz_Hockey said:

True, your spelling is not so good. Your grammar is even worse, and your message is totally lost on me. But that doesn't really matter, does it? You're not on the Internet looking for a professional career. Are you?

The math? I know the math to which I refer. What math are you talking about? IQ points?

Simply put Simpleton, these are ramblings which have no correlation between what I or anyone else writes in a pro sense, so why are you examining them as such?.

my spelling and grammar is awful here, I have no doubt, she's asking if toronto is a good place to work, I'm simply answering her question in a simple non-structured way, a fuzzy-logical methodology you may call it.

IQ points?, where did that come from?, I have no bones with you, IQ's mean zip anyway, and I just feel your being a little harsh on the person plain and simple, and if it's because I use the word Maths, sorry, I'm english, we dont use the word "math" because you generally perform more than a singular mathmatical equation at any one time.

so please dont examine my writing, they are of no consiquence

Champloo

Nominee Member
Jun 29, 2006

I get the feelings Simpleton has an inferiority complex, and correcting ones spelling, even though it's legible, seems to be his chance at letting the world know he is good at something. Which would be harping over someone's spelling on the internet.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org

Champloo said:
I get the feelings Simpleton has an inferiority complex, and correcting ones spelling, even though it's legible, seems to be his chance at letting the world know he is good at something. Which would be harping over someone's spelling on the internet.

Uh, no! If I were genuinely interested in correcting the spelling and/or grammatical errors of others, I would have begun the practice long before now. Additionally, I would make every effort to ensure that my own personal contributions stood on their own merit. If you had taken the time to read some of my many posts, you would have quickly concluded that I also make rather reckless use of the elipsiss, and that my spelling and grammar are quite poor, in the vast majority of my posts.

I apologize to the original poster. I mistakenly assumed that you were looking for a job. I also happened to notice that you began your job search as early as April of this year, and that you were still searching. I thought that maybe, just maybe, his/her poor grammar and spelling might have contributed to his/her failure to attain employment.

I apologize for trying to help. I won't do it again! How incredibly stupid of me.

This entire thread reminds me of Blackburn Radio Incorporated; ya just don't got a clue.

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
Ok...some people get the msg very late..when the world stops listening to them anyways...he was trying hard to prove his point, but who will stop him?

Yeah. I started to look for a job in April. It doesnt look that simple to look for one like it is here in the us. It might just be the networking issue though. Canada seems rather conservative, on the other hand, US is very fast on finding jobs on-line. I might start a business in calgary who knows!

Champloo..thanks for the 2 pennies...i always like to add people to my friend list when they intent to help other people.

Hockey, I didnt know taht it was your last name..I am trying to learn hockey stuff..edmonton lost to carolina i read..which muct have been a big blow to you guys..thats OK..i am coming now..lol..well...keep it going..i am expecting more input on the question more than the discussion about how good or poor anyone's english is !
Danke! ( meaning THANKS in german)

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Wait a minute. Champloo was trying to help? Champloo did the same thing to me, as you accused me of doing to you!

I get the impression that the vast majority of people on this forum are total fucking idiots! Who the fuck do you people think you are?

Who's going to stop me? Stop me from doing what, you arrogant piece of shit?

I tried to help you! I get the impression that you should stay in the United States! You will not be welcome here, you conceited fucking windbag!!!

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Kale, I'm sure you'll like it in Alberta. I lived in Calgary during the early 80's and I liked it alot. I hear it's changed quite a bit since then.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Simpleton said:
Wait a minute. Champloo was trying to help? Champloo did the same thing to me, as you accused me of doing to you!

I get the impression that the vast majority of people on this forum are total *censored* idiots! Who the *censored* do you people think you are?

I tried to help you! I get the impression that you should stay in the United States! You will not be welcome here, you conceited *censored* windbag!!!

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Said1 said:
Simpleton said:

I get the impression that the vast majority of people on this forum are total *censored* idiots! Who the *censored* do you people think you are?

I tried to help you! I get the impression that you should stay in the United States! You will not be welcome here, you conceited *censored* windbag!!!

Well, said1, you're laughing your ass off, so you either like what I said, or you think that what I said is totally retarded. Care to elaborate on the LMAO?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
No. I'm afraid you will ridicule my spelling and grammar and not understand my point. I couldn’t' take that, again.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Where should I move in Canada? Alberta or Toronto ar

Said1 said:
No. I'm afraid you will ridicule my spelling and grammar and not understand my point. I couldn’t' take that, again.

You kill me! It's not like you're a Blackburn Radio Station... Are you?

I stood alone in criticizing Blackburn... Did you know that? Of course you did. Cuz that's what your little fantasy world tells you. This is going to be a lot of fun.

I haven't kicked royal ass in... Well, forever!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
What's going to be fun? Who's royal ass will you be kicking?

I know you quoted me, so you must be talking to me. Sadly, I have no clue as to what you're talking about. And I'm not pretending, I really don't.