What's for dinner tonight??

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Always looking for dinner ideas! Figuring out what to cook is the biggest part of the battle. Here's what we're having:

Roasted Chicken and Squash
A one dish meal recipe that bakes in the oven.

INGREDIENTS:
  • * 6 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin on
    * 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    * 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    * 1/3 cup maple syrup
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    * 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    * 1 acorn squash
    * 1 buttercup squash
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place chicken in 15x10" roasting pan and sprinkle with pepper and seasoned salt. In medium bowl combine syrup, thyme, and butter.

Cut acorn squash into rings, remove seeds, and cut rings in half.
Sponsored Links

Cut buttercup squash into 6 wedges. Place around chicken in roasting pan and drizzle with maple syrup mixture.

Bake, covered, at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes. Then uncover and baste chicken and squash with maple syrup mixture in pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes longer until chicken is thoroughly cooked and squash is tender.

NOTE: I always brown the chicken first and add garlic to ANY recipe! I prefer my chicken well done.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Stuffed grape leaves with rice:

1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups onion, very finely chopped
1 cup green onions, very finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped fine
1 cup white rice
2 tsp fresh mint, chopped fine
Pinch salt
Pinch black pepper

Jar of Grape leaves (or 40 or so fresh leaves*)
3-4 Tbs fresh lemon juice
3-4 cups water

Mix all ingredients, except Grape leaves, lemon juice and water, in a bowl.

Line the bottom of a large pan with a few Grape leaves. Take 1-2 Tbs of the stuffing (depending on the size of the leaf), press it into a small sausage-like shape and place on a leaf. First fold the stem end over the meat, then the sides and finally roll the stuffed leaf to make a tight small parcel. Lay the stuffed leaves in outward radiating circles. When one layer is finished, begin a new one on its top. Pour enough water to cover the dolmades, add the lemon juice. Invert a plate over the dolmades to prevent them from coming apart when cooked. Bring to a low boil, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or until all the water has been absorbed.

Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the pan.

Serve cool.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Spaghetti and Meatballs

This recipe has evolved since our kids were quite young.

Ingredients

1 lb. lean ground beef
two "hot" Italian sausage uncooked
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

Remove skins from sausage and discard skins, add sausage to rest of ingredients. Mix very thoroughly with a fork. (not your fingers. I say this because mixing with fingers adds heat prematurely to meat and destroys the texture)
Shape mixture into 16 to 18 balls. Arrange in pyrex pie plate or shallow baking dish. bake in 350 degree oven for twenty five minutes. Remove from oven and place baking dish on top of stove with one side on cold element so that dish is sloped and all fat will drain to low side. Using salad tongs, pile meat balls on high side of baking dish and let drain for five minutes.

Sauce ingredients

1 16 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 small onion, sliced *
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup water

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until transparent. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, spices and water. Mix with spoon and simmer for twenty minutes at low heat.

Add drained meatballs to sauce, stir around a bit to cover all the meatballs, and simmer for another ten minutes. If sauce is too thick add a bit more water. Discard bay leaf.

Serve over your favorite pasta and top with grated parmasan cheese

This recipe is meant to serve four, but it can be expanded by increasing every ingredient proportionally. Do not add bread crunbs or cracker crumbs to meattballs, they just soak up the fat that you are trying to get rid of. I sometimes add a cup or two of sliced fresh mushrooms to this recipe when the sauce is simmering.

* When our children were young they picked out the sliced onions onions so we finely diced them instead of slicing.

Cosmo. I know you don't like mushrooms so they are optional.. :wink:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: What's for dinner ton

Yum .... I can vouch for Juan's Spaghetti and Meatballs!! ;) I just use whole mushrooms so I can pick em out. :)

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Hey Cos, you five hundred pounds honey?

You are in all the recipe threads, all of em. But I'm still waiting for that damn shortbread recipe. I had to make 8 batches this year off my old recipe. I admit they were, of course, awesome, but I need the chewy ones recipe.

I love Pumpernickle and that spinach dip stuff. OH YA

imaginarylion

May 6, 2006
RE: What's for dinner ton

I totally lost at dinner tonight..

First I decided I wanted seafood pasta, so I went and got some seafood mix from my shop.. but then it was gross so I chucked it out.

Then I ruined a perfectly good punnet of cherry tomatoes trying to make a simple tomato sauce. All the while my spaghetti is getting closer to being ready and there is a completely inedible mess in the saucepan! Oh no! What will I do!?

Luckily my good friends butter, shaved parmesan and cracked pepper came to the rescue. Phew!

surf girl

May 14, 2006
Sincronizadas
they are like a mexican quesadilla but with some ham in the middle also.

2 flour tortillas
grated cheesse (one that melts, not cheddar)
sliced ham

heat the tortillas in the skillet on one side, turn them over and top them with the cheesse, and a slice of ham. let the cheesse melt.
you can turn them again and let the ham brown a little.
put them together like a sandwich.

ENJOY!!

you can also have additional toppings, like sour cream, salsa, guacamole, diced tomatoes, or anything else your taste buds can think of!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I roasted a chicken....made a stir fry to go with it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Hot dogs and martinis. I necro-thread kid you not.

Once we woof down some dogs we're making martinis. Can't wait to get into the gin and vermouth.

Anyone else like martinis?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I don't know what I'll have for dinner tonight (maybe just a simple potato dish); but I'm thinking of cooking myself some kong pao tofu or ma po seitan for lunch tomorrow.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Killer Kelly Cochran served victim as burgers?
Brad Hunter
More from Brad Hunter
Published:
June 20, 2018
Updated:
June 20, 2018 2:40 PM EDT
Cops believe convicted killer Kelly Cochran may have fed burgers made from the body of one of her victims to neighbours at a BBQ.FACEBOOK
Something about the meat from the barbecue wasn’t right. Neighbours thought something was off.
That’s because the cuts being served by Kelly Cochran were quite likely the lover she and her husband had murdered.
Cochran is currently serving a life sentence in Michigan for the dismemberment murder of Chris Regan.
Chris Regan, right, with his girlfriend Terri ODonnell. FACEBOOK
But her body count doesn’t stop there.
She pleaded guilty earlier this year to murdering her husband, Jason Cochran, in Indiana with a high-impact dose of heroin.
Cochran told detectives she offed her husband because he played a role in murdering Regan, who she called “the only good thing in my life.”
Now, a new documentary is pulling back the curtain on a woman that even her own family believes is a serial killer.
In the Investigation Discovery series, called Dead North, observers call Cochran “like the devil” in court.
Regan vanished from Iron River in 2014 and cops learned that the vixen had been having an affair with him. But the case remained unsolved until Cochran’s husband died in 2016.
Cops say Cochran lured Regan into her home, where her husband shot him and dismembered him before dumping his remains.
Kelly Cochran was described as the “devil” in court. US MARSHALS
She later told detectives that the couple had a pact that they would “kill off anyone involved in their extramarital affairs.”
One neighbour told detectives of eating a “strange-tasting burger” at a barbecue held shortly after Regan vanished. The witness didn’t realize at the time they could have been eating human flesh.
While she awaited trial, Cochran turned her glasses into shivs and threatened to kill anyone who came near.
Cochran and her husband Jason vowed to murder anyone who came between them. FACEBOOK
The killer reportedly terrified everyone.
“The first time I saw her was in the courthouse,” said Regan’s girlfriend, Terri O’Donnell. “I just remember her staring at me and grinning.
“I took a deep breath and thought she was the scariest person I’ve ever seen. I was afraid. I couldn’t look at her for the rest of the time I was there testifying. It was like she was … laughing and saying, ‘Look at what I did. You can’t stop me.’
“She just sat there and grinned.
Kelly Cochran
“It was like the devil looking at you … And after I testified … I lost it. I totally lost it. I just remember driving, speeding, not knowing if I had crossed the border. I didn’t know if I was in Wisconsin or Michigan … I didn’t know what to do. I just wanted to run as far away from Kelly as possible.”
O’Donnell doubts her boyfriend was the Cochrans only victim.
“There’s just no way that the first person you choose to kill, you’re going to be able to clean up the blood and get rid of the body so that FBI agents can’t pull DNA off the walls,” she said.
[youtube]tlA9OJdBzjs[/youtube]
Killer Kelly Cochran served victim as burgers? | Toronto Sun