What was the last book you bought?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
What is the last book you bought, and why?

Today I bought David Sedaris's latest book, 'Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim'.

Reason? I have read all of his books, the man is the God of Wit. Reading Sedaris should come with a warning, 'Caution. Uncontrollable laughter. Do not read in bed if others trying to sleep.'

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Another good thread!

I just started reading an excellet book-- can't put it down and HIGHLY recommend-- The Moral Basis of a Backward Society, by Edward C. Banfield.

Haggis, GET THIS BOOK.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:
Another good thread!

I just started reading an excellet book-- can't put it down and HIGHLY recommend-- The Moral Basis of a Backward Society, by Edward C. Banfield.

Haggis, GET THIS BOOK.

I have written the name and author down, and will check it out. Just the title alone is alluring!

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Haggis, you'll FREAK!

It's superb-- it's a study of a backward region in Italy.

The conclusions are universal and the extrapolations you can make to current realities are uncanny.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Diamond Sun said:
I bought "A Fine Balance" which was an excellent read.

A Fine Balance - my number one favourite book (although I must confess, I am terribly fickle about such things, and call any great just-read book my favourite).

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Benjamin Franklin: an American life by Walter Isaacson

I bought it for my Father last Christmas. He finished it, then my brother walked off with it before I could read it. I don't know where it is now, I think my sister has it. Maybe I should go get it from the library?

David Sedaris is great. He's an occasional guest on the radio show "This American Life," produced at public station WBEZ, in Chicago. I don't know if reading him would be as good as hearing him read.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
AV, superb book.

If need be, pull your sister's hair like you did when you were a kid to get it back!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Incredible book, an eye-opener if e'er there was one. An absolutely must-read for anybody who wants to know a more realistic version of American history. This book was selected by Harvard University as one of the best 100 reads, and for good reason.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
American Voice said:
David Sedaris is great. He's an occasional guest on the radio show "This American Life," produced at public station WBEZ, in Chicago. I don't know if reading him would be as good as hearing him read.

I found that to be true with Garrison Keillor, I didn't like his books as much as his radio/television shows. On the other hand, Stuart Maclean is brilliant at both. Sedaris, well, I've never heard him so cannot compare, but his books leave me with tears pouring down my face from laughing so hard.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Haggis McBagpipe said:
American Voice said:

I found that to be true with Garrison Keillor, I didn't like his books as much as his radio/television shows. On the other hand, Stuart Maclean is brilliant at both. Sedaris, well, I've never heard him so cannot compare, but his books leave me with tears pouring down my face from laughing so hard.

You gotta hear him read. I'll PM you the program link.

A Prairie Home Companion, yes. I remember the show back in the 80's, when Cargill was the sponsor. I would listen to the live broadcast Saturday night, and then again the re-broadcast on Sunday morning, after breakfast. The Adventures of Buster, the Show Dog. That's where I first gained an appreciation of country music, i.e., Emmylou Harris. I read a piece he wrote in response to a listener a while back, who asked him why he doesn't do shows in Canada. He wrote a scathing reply, citing the irritatingly officious behavior of Canadian customs officers.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
American Voice said:
You gotta hear him read. I'll PM you the program link.

That's where I first gained an appreciation of country music, i.e., Emmylou Harris.

He wrote a scathing reply, citing the irritatingly officious behavior of Canadian customs officers.

:cool: Canadians. Nothing if not irritatingly officious! And don't forget smug....

I would love the link, thanks.

I have always been a fan of Emmylou Harris. She definitely 'did it her way', never bought the party line, as it were. The voice of an angel, too.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I can see that I am going to become addicted to this forum. What a great bunch of people...knock on wood:)

Haggis you are right about a fine balance being a great book, but I find his books so sad...sniffle sniffle.
The last book I read was Blue Latitudes, had to read the whole thing in two days could not put it down.

I have to admit that I read and re-read all of thomas wolfe's books. I have never read such beautiful writing. Interesting that he and the fellow who wrote Cold Mountain are from the same town. And of course I have to keep re-reading Richard Brautigan.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
You nkow numure, I've actually read some of that.

While I can't say I wasn't impressed, I just couldn't shake the reality from the theoretical.

In my opinion, the Cultural Revolution pretty much negated the credibility of his intent.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
researchok said:
You nkow numure, I've actually read some of that.

While I can't say I wasn't impressed, I just couldn't shake the reality from the theoretical.

In my opinion, the Cultural Revolution pretty much negated the credibility of his intent.

If he didnt do the cultural revolution, then his foes within his own party, would of destroyed "yellow china" as he dreamed it. His foes (from his own party), wanted a stalinist type of communism... Mao couldnt live with that...

The cultural revolution wasnt the best solution, but it was the best solution for China. I doubt china would be, what it is today, if it wasnt for that.

Lisa

Electoral Member
May 22, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
The Woman Warrior - Memoires of a Girl among Ghosts.

I have to read it for my literature classes for next year in England. Seems like a good novel. I am curious, can't wait till next week, when I have more time, no exams or anything.