What is your favourite orignal recipe?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
My favourite is my own version of fried chicken. Instead of using cracker or bread crumbs, I use crushed nacho chips. I add lots of garlic and various spices, roll the chicken in either heavy cream or egg, coat with the nacho chips. If I have access to any really good homemade salsa, I like to use it to top the chicken after it's cooked.

You can either bake the chicken or fry it in a skillet with oil. If you bake it, it's yummy to add mozza to the top shortly before it's finished cooking.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
RE: What is your favourit

I also make a spagettie sauce pizza. I let it sit over night, the re-heat. Tastes better and is much dryer, although way less sauce is added to the ground beef. Tastes better than it sounds.

I'm hungry now!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: What is your favourit

Said1 said:
Irish stew. Lots of potatoes and cabbage!

mmmmm! Recipe please!

I love stew ... it's probabaly my all time favourite food, but I haven't yet found a recipe that I can cook and have it come out like other peoples'!!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: What is your favourit

Cosmo said:
Said1 said:
Irish stew. Lots of potatoes and cabbage!

mmmmm! Recipe please!

I love stew ... it's probabaly my all time favourite food, but I haven't yet found a recipe that I can cook and have it come out like other peoples'!!

I have the same problem. No matter how hard I try, it never tastes like my Grannie's! :cry:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: What is your favourite orignal recipe?

MMMike said:
Anybody have a good chili recipe?

The "Frugal Gormet" has a good one, which is also my favorite. You replace kidney beans with a can (or two) of beans and molassis. It adds a sweet kick too it, and since I hate kidney beans I don't make it any other way.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Anybody like Jambalaya??? I've got a wicked good recipe I'll put up when I find it. Fell in love with Cajun cooking after a trip to New Orleans.... I'm drooling just thinking of it. Some of the best cooking in the world imho.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

MMMike said:
Anybody like Jambalaya??? I've got a wicked good recipe I'll put up when I find it. Fell in love with Cajun cooking after a trip to New Orleans.... I'm drooling just thinking of it. Some of the best cooking in the world imho.

I confess I've never tasted Jambalaya. Doesn't have to be made with seafood, does it? I don't eat sea bugs of any kind ... ick. If it can be made with chicken, tho, I'd love the recipe!

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
my current "favourite" recipie is the current iteration of my breakfast shake:

1 banana
1/2 cup berries (blue or raspberry)
pinch of shredded coconut
6 raw cashews
3 raw almonds
4 raw walnuts
1 scoop soy protien isolate
1 tsp carob powder
3 icecubes
1 tsp fresh ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon omega 3-6-9 oils (vegan)
1 tsp nutritional yeast
enough grape juice or apple cider to achieve desired thickness.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
#Juan's Chilli

Ingredients

2 lbs lean stewing beef
1 - 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 - 14 oz can mushroom stems and pieces
2 -4 oz cans tomato paste
1 medium onion - coarsely chopped
2 medium cloves garlic - minced
1 tablespoon chilli powder
red pepper flakes to taste---I use about a teaspoon(maybe try a half teaspoon)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

I developed this recipe to cook on a wood stove* during power outages on Gabriola Island. On Gabriola, the wood stove is a piece of furniture that you don't want spattered with grease so I don't brown the beef. The only concession I make is to sauteing the onion and garlic lightly in the oil before dumping all the ingredients into a deep dutch oven with a lid and simmering for about two hours. Stir occasionally. If it is too thick, add water. Serve hot with crispy rolls or a loaf of French bread and a salad. Grated sharp cheddar is optional. Serves at least four.

*Ordinary stoves work even better.. :lol:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

manda said:
I make an awesome homade salsa.... it goes really well with the taco plate that I make...I never have leftovers

Manda ... I've been searching for a good salsa recipe! Post it, please please please!! I love the kind of real Mexican salsa with lots of garlic and cilantro. mmmmmm!

Juan ... I've tried your other spaghetti recipe ... (oughta post it here! it's delish!!). Now I'll try your chili. Yum. :)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
My favourite recipe is the swiss chalet dipping sauce. yummmm, I can eat that stuff with anything.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Seriously? I am, like, the opposite!

Heh, with all due respect to Swiss Chalet fans, I like pretty much everything they have except for the sauce. o_O

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
BEST BEEF STEW

INGREDIENTS:
1 large onion, quartered
3 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut in 2 inch pieces
Small turnip cut-up (optional)
three stalks celery cut up
2 pounds beef stew-meat in bite-sized pieces
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 can Cambell's beef broth + 1 can of water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 envelopes OXO beef powder
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Pepper to taste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1. Put everything but the flour and 1/4 cup water in a slow cooker; stir to combine.

2. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 to 7 hours , until the beef is tender

3. Stir the stew once or twice as it cooks. About 30 minutes before serving, transfer a ladleful of the broth to a small mixing bowl.

4. Add the flour and water and whisk until smooth. Stir the mixture into the stew and cook for the remaining half hour. If it is too thick, stir in a bit of water, beer, or red wine. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
I don't eat much meat and try to avoid farmed meat so this is one of my favorite

1kg ground moose meat
2-3 cans of tomato soup
1-2 tablespoon mustard
garlic
pepper

Fry up moose meat untill all red is gone.
While frying
add garlic to taste, but don't over do it, it will hurt the tast in the long run.
add a dash of pepper
Once this is done mix in the tomato soup and the mustard.
Slop on to burger buns and get ready for a new take on Sloppy Joe's! They're awsome!

Also, when I can't get my hands on Moose, I do sometimes use ground turkey.

RainbowChild

Apr 17, 2006
Hey the moose meat recipe sounds good. I never did care for the muskeggy taste of moose, and the tomatoe soap and garlic will or should kill that taste huh?

RainbowChild