What does Canada want?

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
I've been following along the elections since they began, and politicians keep talking about there vision of Canada, but paint a vague picture for us. So I thought I'd ask my fellow Canadians what they see as Canada's path, and future?

I see Canada as the enigma of the world. The place where everyone's lifestyle is excepted, and no laws supporting any particular lifestyle should be upheld. We should keep the social programs that reduce the costs of living for society as a whole, and scrap those that are inefficient. We need to rework are drug laws with a primary focus on reducing crime, even if use rate stays consistant. People are going to use drugs, might as well clean up the product, and eliminate the crime element. I feel that black markets are a natural result of the oppression of an element of human nature. But I'm functioning on the theory that it isn't liberalization and degredation of morals that's causing our society to crumble, but rather it's the lack of respect between citizens created by divisions on life choices. And don't think that this division wasn't purposely perpetuated, cause it very much is by many factions who claim to be preaching peace through ideology, but are really creating war if their ideology doesn't promote the exceptance of others regardless of their contradictory beliefs or lifestyle. Unfortunately it's societies nature to want to be right about their life choices, and believe for some messed up reason that they are qualified to dictate the lifestyles and choices of others.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I think it's just not a question of "what Canadians want" but because of our differences, we need to make sure that our rights are protected. That is minority rights. Considering there no longer is a real magority in Canada, as we are all different culturally and politically the one thing keeping us together is the charter of rights and freedoms and the common belief in that.

Besides that, when you ask that sorta question to lets say someone from BC, Alberta, Ontario Quebec and PEI you will get a different answer to the question as they all have different concerns.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: What does Canada LOVE?

What Canada wants is a great question at this time. So much is changing now, it feels like we are on the cusp of something new.

A fork in the road lies at our feet now - it diverges into paths leading to more industry and military strength, or one that focuses on healthy relations with people and the earth. In our hearts, we know we want the second path but it has not been presented to us as an option. It is an option, it allways has been an option.

We could define that new thing and see it to fruition if only we had the vision, the imagination, to define what it is we really want.

So far, we have only seen or heard of visions for Canada from the corporate viewpoint, as the media and government and powers that be are all corporate sided.

For all we do - the work, the money, all our relations - there is an underlying desire for peace and calm ;for Security in the form of sustainability, not military security which ony serves to make us fear too much. We really want a world of love and support, not competition and Elitism.

We want nature to be healthy. The current state of the planet cannot be condusive to happiness or wellness. We are dependant on the natural earth and we need to stop harming it.

Simple really, it is love we seek.
Karlin

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
What does Canada want?

The progression of our society. From coast-to-coast you hear of people wanting the progression of society to a more organized, efficient, and effective system.

- We want public health care to work well and timely
- We want education that efficiently creates wisdom and
ideas and not just pump knowledge into heads.
- We want a justice system that is just

And so on and so forth. Canadians do not want to be stuck in a stagnate state, where taxes and prices keep rising and yet our quality of life does not.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: What does Canada want

I guess it's likely that we'll never really see what we need to see from our politicians because most of them consider themselves elitest, and they got their through competition. These people simply don't see that money and power really isn't everything, and only means anything because they've convinced us it does.

A year ago, I started writing about how Canada could be improved, and if I could hook up with the right people, we could actually solidify this reality in the near future. I called it the "natural system". A system of society founded completely on logic, reasoning, equal treatment for all people, and the natural laws of sustainability.

There was a problem with the math, and I discovered that it wasn't attainable because our current population has gone above a sustainble level that would also have an exceptible quality of life. To work towards are goal, we have to actually focus on reducing the world populous to around 1 billion or less. Without doing this, there will always be widespread scarcity which will drive wars and competition for scarce food supplies and resources.
The up side is that within 50 years, due to soil errosion and reduced production of fertilizer, the planet will only be able to feed half the people on it, and a war on a large enough scale to hit that target population is very much possible. In this event, either a eutopian society will emerge from the rubble, or the book "1984" will be our reality.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A Truly Canadian Canada

TenPenny, I thought the same thing my first run through the sentence. :)

:arrow: Introduction

What do Canadians want?

This is an extremely broad question, with perhaps an unlimited amount of answers; however, I would assert that there are some common goals that an overwhelming majority of Canadians would agree on. Canada is a country rich in its traditions and heritage, and one with a reputation the world-over for unmatched efforts in peacekeeping, and in being a voice of reason in an often turbulent world. The people of Canada want our society to be sustainable, and they want a clean and healthy environment. These desires seem to boil down to one common wish: Canadians want a truly Canadian Canada.

:arrow: Our Institutions of Governance

In my opinion, our institutions of governance are, or at least once were, one of the defining features of our nation. The style of respectful debate in the House of Commons and the Senate were once an envy of the world; and I would assert that, despite the fact that their reputation within Canada has perhaps been tarnished due to recent events, I would think that our institutions remain an example to the world.

Canadians want to be able to take pride in our Government; we want to be able to trust our Members of Parliament to make decisions that are truly in our best interest, and to unequivocally defend our rights to the end. Canadians want an effective House of Commons, and an effective Red Chamber; we want and require that the Government be truly accountable to the people, and that Canada has priority over the sometimes narrow-minded interests of whomever the governing party of the time may be.

We need to be able to take pride in our institutions, and we need to ensure that these institutions are protected. Arguably the most important institution in Canada would be our Supreme Court; the current Court, under the guidance of the Right Honourable Beverly McLachlin, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada and Privy Councillor, has been one of progressive rulings in the interest of protecting our rights and freedoms, sometimes even before the House of Commons has even considered legislation on the topic at hand. We should be very proud of a Court, and should continue to push for the independence and non-partisanship in the Judiciary that we have enjoyed so far.

We, the people of Canada, want a truly Canadian government.

:arrow: Our Traditions and Our Heritage

Canadians, I would assert as a whole, want to ensure that our traditions, our heritage and our culture are protected. Under the beautiful Canadian mosaic, each and every person has the right to keep their own distinctive culture, while opting into something far greater than the sum of its parts: Canada.

Canadians want to ensure that our traditions and our heritage are protected. We want to ensure that we keep our ties to the Crown. Our incredible nation was created on the prerogative of the Crown, and it serves as a reminder of our unprecedented peaceful creation — as opposed to some other nations, who were forced to carve their shapes from the cloth of an Empire with a jagged and blood-soaked dagger.

While the Crown is an institution that we should endeavour to keep, Canadians also, in my opinion, want to ensure that we are not mistaken for the Dominion of a distant United Kingdom. Canadians want to ensure that, while protecting our history, we also protect the features and traditions of a modern Canada. Canadians want to continue to weave a rich tapestry of cultures and traditions, under a united Canada.

Canadians want to ensure that we foster a truly Canadian identity.

:arrow: Our Role in the World

Canadians want to ensure that we continue to give the world a reason to consider us to be a nation of peacekeepers. Canadians want to ensure that we have a strong Canadian Armed Forces, to defend our nation when the need arises, and to defend us from the unpredictable and sometimes deadly will of Mother Nature.

We want to ensure that the Armed Forces are not pushed into some arbitrary battle against an obscure enemy; rather, the people of Canada want to defend the principles of justice, freedom and democracy, while reaching this end through peaceful means. We want the Canadian Armed Forces to be a powerful and respected institution — but we also desparately pray that the need for their dispatch never arise.

The people of Canada want to ensure that we are heard on the world stage as a voice of reason. We want to be heard above the often harsh and militant voices of others, as the soft but firm voice of a peacekeeper; a peacekeeper with a genuine interest not only in ourselves, but in the good of the world community.

Canadians want to play a truly Canadian role on the world stage.

:arrow: A Sustainable Society and Environment

Canadians, in my opinion, want to ensure that our society can be sustained under the resources that we have at our disposal. We want to ensure that our children, our grandchildren, and their grandchildren, will not be left with a broken nation.

We want to foster a safe and healthy environment. The people of Canada want an environment that has not been laced with the poison of a previous generation. Canadians want an environment with a strong population of animals; we want to protect those who would be driven toward extinction.

We, as Canadians, I would think, want to ensure that Canada plays an important role in prolonging the life of the planet. We want to be a leader in environmental improvement and protection, and a leader on the world stage in terms of these things.

Canadians want, simply put, a truly Canadian environment.

:arrow: Conclusion

Canadians want to ensure that our best interests are in the minds of our Prime Minister and in our leaders, and that it is Canadian interests, as opposed to the interests of beaurocracy, that are held dear to those who would represent us.

Canadians want to preserve their rich and exciting heritage, to proudly showcase our history, and to continue to sew as beautiful a mosaic as we can as we welcome new Canadians into the nation; we want to ensure that our Canadian identity is promoted above all else.

Canadians want to ensure that our nation plays a leading role on the world stage, and that we are respected by our neighbours in that community. We want to play a Canadian role; one of peacekeeping, one of reason, and one of democratic justice.

We want to ensure that our world is a clean place to live, so that future generations need not be posed with the problems that we now face; we want to ensure that the Canadian environment remains as beautiful as it is now, and continues to grow to that end.

We want a Canada that we can be proud of.

:!: P.S. I am exceedingly sorry for having submitted such a large post, but I had quite a bit that I wanted to say, and I wanted to be sure that I said it all right. :) Thanks to anyone who read through my entire stance on the topic.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
what does canadiana want?

canadiana wants freedom. freedom of all citizens to be equals, to pursue their goals free of threat or opression.

canadiana wants a clean environment, a sustainable treatment of the lands, waters and air.

canadiana wants recognition of all its peoples and cultures under one flag.

canadiana does not want the monarchy as it represents a past of oppression and exclusion.

canadiana wants a federal government that represents all the people and all the provinces/territories. THe current system is a reflection of 100 years ago and fails to account for the realities of what canadiana is and will become.

canadiana wants peace. canadiana wants to be proactive in life, and governance. canadiana wants her people to be cared for when they fall, so that they may stand strong again and help others in their time of need. canadiana wants a strong social consciousness. canadiana wants nothing of violence or arms or armies.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: What does Canada want

Excellent post FiveParadox.
Sorry about my spelling. I have a way with numbers, not words.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
What does Canada want? Just ask Jack Layton, in every speech I have ever heard from him, he keeps telling Canadians what they want. Maybe he should listen to what they have to say instead of telling them what they want.