What are you doing to save $$ on gas?

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Just curious what you are doing to save money on gas. Are you buying a new vehicle which gets better mileage? are you considering converting a diesel into a veggy oil vehicle? are you making only 1 trip per day vs 2 into town or to the wherever? have you pulled out the bike? or don't care!

Let's hear it!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well bevski, I either walk or ride my bike, there seems to be more bike riders in victoria than car drivers :p I only use my car if I have to go over the mountain...and than back down again :wink:

Hey you know the rise in gas, could also mean alot more healthier people. :wink:

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I wish I could ride my bike around here, but there are too many big trucks and no shoulder and nobody round here stays within the speed limit. So I'm co-ordinating all outside ventures as best I can. Trying to make only 1 trip into town vs 2. Today I've got to go to the grocery store, hardware store, liquor store and drop the kid off at work. Wont' be doing any of that til later on this afternoon which means I have to go a few more hours without any snackies, sniff sniff.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I wish I could ride my bike around here, but there are too many big trucks and no shoulder and nobody round here stays within the speed limit. So I'm co-ordinating all outside ventures as best I can. Trying to make only 1 trip into town vs 2. Today I've got to go to the grocery store, feed store, hardware store, liquor store and drop the kid off at work. Wont' be doing any of that til later on this afternoon which means I have to go a few more hours without any snackies, sniff sniff.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
We decided to move closer to the areas that we have to drive to everyday and eliminate a 20 minute drive to and from our house everyday...this wasn't a big deal because we just rent. We are also contemplating blowing up our minivan in protest

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Well, we're moving. Rather than commuting 45 min a day to bounce kids to places and ourselves to work (sometimes in two vehicles because of %^$@#%$3 shift hours), we just stuck ourselves somewhere closer which would recduce the commuting downto 15 min.

Other than that I'm thinking of investing in a donkey. Gas prices will start effecting food prices, and once it's too expensive to eat we can eat the donkey when it's worn out from pulling the car...and it'll save us from mowing/fertilizing the lawn.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: What are you doing to save $$ on gas?

manda said:
We decided to move closer to the areas that we have to drive to everyday and eliminate a 20 minute drive to and from our house everyday...this wasn't a big deal because we just rent. We are also contemplating blowing up our minivan in protest

:wink: What a coninsidence.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I ride the bus with all the other plebes when I have to go some distance away. Other than those few times,I just walk to wherever :)

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Gonna buy myself a cord of wood this weekend too. I've got a wood burning fireplace so I plan on using it as much as I can.

Judland

Electoral Member
Been bicycling for over three years now and will continue to do so as much as possible. The only time we use the car is to do our groceries once a week. Thankfully, the grocery store is a three minute drive away.

Saskatoon is a very bicycle-friendly city. Lots of trails and bicycle lanes on major streets.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: What are you doing to

I would ride a bike but the lower mainland has next to no bike routes or trails. Even though we are entitled to ride on the road, it is far too dangerous.

I would ride the bus more but out in the burbs the service sucks so really driving or waiting a while for the bus is only option.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: What are you doing to

To conserve gas I bought myself a tiny little hyndai accent.

Still just $40 to fill up and takes about a week to get it down to half a tank.

I thought ahead when I was making my car selection........actually I just hate wasting money on things like gas.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Xendrick and I recently purchased a new car that got us 700 km on a single tank of gas (50L tank). It gets better mileage than our little Kia, and that mileage was really a big selling factor when we were looking.

I'd bike or bus to work if I could, but there are no bus routes to my house, and the hill I'd have to ride up at the end of the day would be the end of me. Plus, at 24 weeks pregnant, I won't be biking for much longer anyway. :)

Hey, Pea, I just spent four days in Victoria and loved it! People there are so friendly and yes, I saw many many many cyclists. Good for them!

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Diamond Sun said:
Xendrick and I recently purchased a new car that got us 700 km on a single tank of gas (50L tank). It gets better mileage than our little Kia, and that mileage was really a big selling factor when we were looking.

I'd bike or bus to work if I could, but there are no bus routes to my house, and the hill I'd have to ride up at the end of the day would be the end of me. Plus, at 24 weeks pregnant, I won't be biking for much longer anyway. :)

Hey, Pea, I just spent four days in Victoria and loved it! People there are so friendly and yes, I saw many many many cyclists. Good for them!

24 weeks pregnant? Congratulations! Plus the extra Body heat from the baby should help reduce the home heating oil bill! :lol: 8)

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
manda said:
24 weeks pregnant? Congratulations! Plus the extra Body heat from the baby should help reduce the home heating oil bill! :lol: 8)

One can hope, but if not, I have a great big warm duvet, and TWO wood burning fireplaces. I'll be toasty warm this winter while keeping my heating/gas costs low. Last winter we were looking at $200+ each month for gas heating costs....ouch!!