West imposes tariffs on Chinese cars because it can no longer compete

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Will you buy a BYOB?
Bring Your Own Bomb? Bring Your Own Battery? As far as I know, I haven’t actually seen (or noticed, anyway) a single Chinese EV in Canada. American? Yes. Japanese? Yes. Chinese? No idea…so I googled it.
Tesla Model Y. Chinese made. Didn’t know that. Guess we do have Chinese EV’s in Canada.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Bring Your Own Bomb? Bring Your Own Battery? As far as I know, I haven’t actually seen (or noticed, anyway) a single Chinese EV in Canada. American? Yes. Japanese? Yes. Chinese? No idea…so I googled it.
I don't know about Canada, but we've had tariffs since the founding of the Republic. Guess that means we never could compete.

Or that Boomster's retarded.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't know about Canada, but we've had tariffs since the founding of the Republic. Guess that means we never could compete.
With America being our largest, and only physically connected trading partner, we’re aware that America has tariffs.

Trudeau, on behalf of Canadians everywhere, with no say by Canadians…has recently gifted tens of billions of dollars & tax breaks to automotive manufacturers to make EV batteries…& China isn’t one of those (as far as we have actually been told anyway).

Now, outside of Ontario (& I’m assuming Quebec has weaselled in on this somehow), I’m not sure where this huge federal gifting to Volkswagen & a few others is going to benefit Canada as a whole…but time will tell I guess. Trudeau decided & Singh back him up and here we are.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
With America being our largest, and only physically connected trading partner, we’re aware that America has tariffs.
Apparently Boomster ain't.
Trudeau, on behalf of Canadians everywhere, with no say by Canadians…has recently gifted tens of billions of dollars & tax breaks to automotive manufacturers to make EV batteries…& China isn’t one of those (as far as we have actually been told anyway).

Now, outside of Ontario (& I’m assuming Quebec has weaselled in on this somehow), I’m not sure where this huge federal gifting to Volkswagen & a few others is going to benefit Canada as a whole…but time will tell I guess. Trudeau decided & Singh back him up and here we are.
Wait. . . I thought your gang adored tax breaks for corporations.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It would be nice if it was at least for a domestic Canadian company…but they’re not, not in this case anyway. It would be nice if it was at least to a North American company in NAFTA YMCA-Whatever it’s called now but…not in this case again.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
West imposes tariffs on Chinese cars because it can no longer compete

Awww that's so cute. Pushing CCP propaganda like the useful idiot you are. What China is doing is called 'dumping'. Chinese EVs are also notoriously unreliable along with their disturbing tendency to turn into self-combusting flame throwers. Not to mention the huge potential for espionage.

But yeah, you keep on believing that the entire Western auto sector can't compete against China's auto industry if it helps you get through your day. Fuck dude, they stole the EV tech from Tesla and they still can't even produce a half-decent EV.
Christ, I'd buy a fucking Lada before I bought a Chinese EV. I'd buy a bicycle before I bought a Chinese EV.

"https://www.roadandtrack.com/review...kup-truck-is-basic-transportation-perfection/"

Not sure how to break it to you but Toyota is Japanese, not Chinese. So not really sure what point you're trying to make with your little linky-poo.

Reactions: Taxslave2

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
x.com
Awww that's so cute. Pushing CCP propaganda like the useful idiot you are. What China is doing is called 'dumping'. Chinese EVs are also notoriously unreliable along with their disturbing tendency to turn into self-combusting flame throwers. Not to mention the huge potential for espionage.

But yeah, you keep on believing that the entire Western auto sector can't compete against China's auto industry if it helps you get through your day. Fuck dude, they stole the EV tech from Tesla and they still can't even produce a half-decent EV.
Christ, I'd buy a fucking Lada before I bought a Chinese EV. I'd buy a bicycle before I bought a Chinese EV.

"https://www.roadandtrack.com/review...kup-truck-is-basic-transportation-perfection/"

Not sure how to break it to you but Toyota is Japanese, not Chinese. So not really sure what point you're trying to make with your little linky-poo.

Well I have $50,000 in NIO Inc. (NIO)

Rather than charging your car and waiting for 30 min to 2 hours to get a charge..

NIO, you drive into a battery swap garage and get an instant swap.. they also check the batteries so that you don't get a dud that will set your car on fire like TESLA cars.

Countries like Norway and many European countries already have NIO on the roads..

Oh and can we compete against China, no. Everytime you go to Walmart to buy shit, it shows your addiction to cheap Chinese products.

Personally I think Canada should create a Hydrogen Highway and push Canadian Made Hydrogen cars. Canada is to vast and to cold for electric.

Maybe GTA/Ontario and go electric more.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Read the news about Northvolt. The real question there is the rest of Canada going to be forced to repay Quebec's share?

Reactions: B00Mer

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Apparently Boomster ain't.

That is a lefty thing. Conservatives believe in making it possible for investors to build profitable industries.
The left believes in forcing taxpayers to invest in projects that either won't work. or will never make money. Preference given to businesses that promise both.

Reactions: B00Mer

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Ol' Fernando Munoz Bernal is being very disingenuous. There's only one reason someone in China wouldn't buy a Tesla. The CCP, after stealing Tesla's tech (and making a piss poor copy), announced that Tesla's could no longer use China's public charging stations.

Whose auto industry can't compete with whose again?