Welfare Cuts in USA

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
oh for sure, for example, they're putting up hundreds of apartments and houses around southampton right now, but each 1 bedroom apartment costs eq. of $225,000 Dollars US!!!.

Imagine that, who the HELL is gonna be able to afford that?

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Re: RE: Welfare Cuts in USA

Daz_Hockey said:
oh for sure, for example, they're putting up hundreds of apartments and houses around southampton right now, but each 1 bedroom apartment costs eq. of $225,000 Dollars US!!!.

Imagine that, who the HELL is gonna be able to afford that?

Why would they build apartments if nobody could afford them? Seems like there's a market. If folks don't buy them then the prices will drop.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
#juan said:
I just don't know said1

I've read that more people are being driven into crap jobs in the food service industry that just don't pay a living wage, in the U.S., or in Canada. Even two people together on minimum wage can't afford housing in the major cities. The fast food giants are making record profits and it seems to me that they should be paying their people more. Of course that makes me a communist :p

So it's the fault of those who only pay minimum wage and not those outsourcing? Record profits also indicate a fairly good local econmy, doesn't it? :p

Like I said, high housing costs, combined with not so dependant employment is probably a bigger factor in homelessness. Personally, if I didn't know for certain just how secure my job was, I would opt for lower rent in a not so nice area, nor would I buy a house. I think that's the situation a lot of people find themselves in.......we want it all now. Gone are the days of working for same company for 20 yrs, regardless of your line of work. Of course, there are some who are lucky, but I think they're few and far between.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Yes, but the problem is that most of the area's these are sold in are predominantly poorer districts, so the poor have to move away s they cannot afford to live where they are now.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Daz_Hockey said:
Yes, but the problem is that most of the area's these are sold in are predominantly poorer districts, so the poor have to move away s they cannot afford to live where they are now.

I see. Community Urbanization - or as I like to say 'the Yuppies have arrived'. :lol:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
indeed. But the problem is, this is happening everywhere, and now that the eastern european countries have joined the EU, we've now got a freeflowing influx of Poles (we've got about 30,000 of them in southampton expecting well paid jobs and.......strangely (very strangely indeed, I dont know who let em in on this one, perhaps chemical ali nd the iraqi info ministry) cheap housing!!!!!!!

hahahahah cheap compared to Poland? hahahaha yeah right.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Daz_Hockey said:
indeed. But the problem is, this is happening everywhere, and now that the eastern european countries have joined the EU, we've now got a freeflowing influx of Poles (we've got about 30,000 of them in southampton expecting well paid jobs and.......strangely (very strangely indeed, I dont know who let em in on this one, perhaps chemical ali nd the iraqi info ministry) cheap housing!!!!!!!

hahahahah cheap compared to Poland? hahahaha yeah right.

That sounds kind of scary. Here's an idea, you could go to Poland. Are your benefits transferable? :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Said1 wrote:
So it's the fault of those who only pay minimum wage and not those outsourcing? Record profits also indicate a fairly good local econmy, doesn't it?

Yeah, a good economy for those with the record profits. What we seem to be doing is obliterating the middle class. I was one of the lucky ones. I was paid pretty well but we still had to struggle to buy that first house and eat as well. Once we were in that $20,000.00 house for a few years, inflation helped us. We don't live in that house anymore but inflation has driven the value of that house to nearly $400,000'00.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
indeed, see the problem I have with it is this:

if that influx of say......afro-carribian people were to enter and do exactly the same there would be race riots, no one would stand for it.

but because Polish people (predominantly) look as white as I, no one batter's an eyelid...racism.

Yep, I could move to poland, but I dont wish to, because, although their housing IS incredibly cheap compared to what we pay here, I cant speak polish and there arnt that many jobs (although there arent that many in the UK now)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
#juan said:
Saqid1 wrote:
So it's the fault of those who only pay minimum wage and not those outsourcing? Record profits also indicate a fairly good local econmy, doesn't it?

Yeah, a good economy for those with the record profits. What we seem to be doing is obliterating the middle class. I was one of the lucky ones. I was paid pretty well but we still had to struggle to buy that first house and eat as well. Once we were in that $20,000.00 house for a few years, inflation helped us. We don't live in that house anymore but inflation has driven the value of that house to nearly $400,000'00.

Ouch. 400k. :(

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ouch,

You can say that again. A young couple starting out today will have a tough row to hoe to buy a house in the city without help from mom and dad. If they save the prerequisite down payment, the mortgage payment is still going to be ugly. On the other hand, both my children make more than I did just before I retired nine years ago.

Toro

Senate Member
#juan said:
What we seem to be doing is obliterating the middle class.

This is a gross exaggeration.

However, disparity in wages between the high and low income classes are rising. And probably will continue for some time.

Also, wages have been stagnant while inflation has almost certainly been understated. On the upside, housing prices have risen extraordinarily, and most middle class people own their own homes. On the downside, household debt as a percentage of income has also risen.

So the middle class is being squeezed a bit but its wrong to say they are being "obliterated", since obliterated means "wiped out".

I don't know if homelessness is on the rise. Would someone like to provide a link?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Toro said:
#juan said:
What we seem to be doing is obliterating the middle class.

This is a gross exaggeration.

However, disparity in wages between the high and low income classes are rising. And probably will continue for some time.

Also, wages have been stagnant while inflation has almost certainly been understated. On the upside, housing prices have risen extraordinarily, and most middle class people own their own homes. On the downside, household debt as a percentage of income has also risen.

So the middle class is being squeezed a bit but its wrong to say they are being "obliterated", since obliterated means "wiped out".

I don't know if homelessness is on the rise. Would someone like to provide a link?

My God Toro,

You tell me that I made a gross exageration, and then you agree that there is a growing disparity between the high and low wages. You further state that wages are stagnant while inflation has been understated. You go on say that household debt as a percentage of income is rising. You further say that the middle class is being squeezed.
"We seem to be obliterating the middle class sounds quite reasonable".

link

link

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Nanaimo is indeed a bit of a dead end place. Destroyed middle class and so on.

It's the opposite here in Calgary. Super hot economy with money flowing. Good paying jobs and opportunities to get into fields of work that were otherwise steep climbs. Want to drive a bus? Be a cop? Be a mail carrier? and so on. Stats Can actually had to bring in workers to do the census because folks there were no workers to fill the jobs.

Most importantly we're attracting the 'can-do' type of Canadian. Ambitious and hardworking who build the foundation for a positive,optimistic forward looking society.

Bums and whiners not wanted. Stay home and wallow in your negative self pity. No one here is going to listening to your bellyaching and litany of 'bo-hoo' stories.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What is Nanaimo,

If you take away the beautiful ocean and mountain views, the fresh air, the great weather, the boating? All these things plus the twelve pound salmon I caught two days ago.... Take all that away and what do we have? Calgary without the cowboys :p

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
#juan said:
What is Nanaimo,

If you take away the beautiful ocean and mountain views, the fresh air, the great weather, the boating? All these things plus the twelve pound salmon I caught two days ago.... Take all that away and what do we have? Calgary without the cowboys :p

you're making me jelous #juan!!! :twisted:

after all, I think I'd swap that for these green and pleasant lands....with their black and dirty hills of filth!!! :(

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Daz

There are some great spots in Jolly Olde. I've been there. My wife's family are from the Middlesex area, lovely farming country. The last time we were over we drove from Land's End to John O'Groats and loved most all of it.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Crickey #Juan, then again, I've seen a "canadian" stroll.....that was just a short ride in the park for you wernt it!! :). I'm quite near Middlesex, then of course, you'd know where Southampton is.

But seriously though, it's the wide open spaces, the freedom to rome, the fresh air thats I'm fond of, ok, so as you may know, I'm next to the new forest (proclaimed by William the 1st none the less and still the biggest natural un-natural forest in the UK)....

I'd still swap it though.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Daz

We started out to clock the distance on the speedometer but we made so many side trips we blew it. I think we ended up with about fifteen hundred miles in seven days. I believe the real distance is about nine hundred miles, which is more than the distance between Vancouver and Calgary. In my youth I've made that trip in ten hours but either I'm getting older or my brain is developing. I now make at least one overnight stop.