Wear Red for Our Troops

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
bluealberta said:
I was just floored when I read all the political and religous responses to something I thought was an easy way to recognise our troops.

Then please, next time just say that. Without all the other trappings.

lrg said:
"I have no problem "supporting the troops." I have a friend in the Calgary Highlanders that will most likely be going over to Afghanistan next year. The problem, like so many others have said, is the adjectives that are part of this email."

As someone who used to wear the uniform, I am one of the first to want to support the troops. I'm just not comfortable with the rest that you obviously are.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
thecdn said:
bluealberta said:
I was just floored when I read all the political and religous responses to something I thought was an easy way to recognise our troops.

Then please, next time just say that. Without all the other trappings.

lrg said:
"I have no problem "supporting the troops." I have a friend in the Calgary Highlanders that will most likely be going over to Afghanistan next year. The problem, like so many others have said, is the adjectives that are part of this email."

As someone who used to wear the uniform, I am one of the first to want to support the troops. I'm just not comfortable with the rest that you obviously are.

You have my respect as a former soldier. Again, I thought the email was respectful and a unique, but easy way to recognise the troops. No intent to offend at all, in fact, I did not have any idea that this would offend anyone. I still think it is a hell of an idea, and will still wear red on Fridays in honor of you and all the other soldiers.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
FiveParadox said:
[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]For those of you who think God should not have been mentioned, get over it. If you don't believe, fine, no one is pissed at you, so don't get pissed when God is mentioned by others.
Agreed; there is no reason for the membership to be apprehensive of the mentioning of God in any particular threads, whether or not such mentions happen to be in one of the faith or religion-based forums, or not. Mentioning God isn't hurting anyone, and this isn't being drafted into a legislative document of sorts, so I don't see why anyone would take any issue over something like this.

Ahem. It was not a subtle, "mention" of god. It was a reaffirmation of faith.

We are no longer silent, and are voicing
our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers.

is...We need your support and your prayers.

The friend I previously mentioned is an atheist, I highly doubt that he'll be asking for your prayers.

The political overtones were not subtle either.

We get no liberal media coverage...
Conservative bias.

If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances...
Blatant attempt to appeal to ultra-nationalist sentiment.

Like I said, I'll be putting a yellow ribbon on my car. I didn't know until yesterday that they were available without an American "God Bless Our Troups" attached to it. I fully, and completely, support our troops. I mostly support our mission in Afghanistan.

I would support the contents of this email if it were simply a messege to support our troops, unfortunately it is not. I don't suggest that it was an intentional bias, but that bias is obviously there.

Canada, fortis et liber.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Actually, Five, "mentioning God" has sadly hurt and killed many people round the world since the time when "God" created the world.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I agreed with Little Runnin Greg and thecdn and Mogz.

People get offended over everything. If you want to wear red and you think this statement wasn't religiously or politically based. All for it.

If you are offended in any way and support Canadian troops, by all means wear the little yellow ribbons and such.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
So should I wear the red or not?

Like it or not, some people believe in God.
Like it or not, some people don't.

i was raised that to love god, you must hate Catholics. Sure, so I did until I realized something. Catholic people aren't that different than me. Maybe they have a different way of things but so do a lot of other different people. If believing in God, who I can't see, means I have to hate Catholics who I can see, than I'm sorry but I can't do it.

Religion is just an excuse to hate and kill.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What the hell has happened

to this country? Do we now have to visibly support our troops? Better that we each think our own thoughts about our miltary overseas. I wager there is no Canadian that wishes our soldiers any ill will. Our military has always done the bidding of their elected masters. The military has little say in it, except in the form of operational recomendations.

I've served in our military albeit a few years ago, and We never looked for support from the Canadian public. We considered the public to be "civilians", and hardly worth talking to. Few civilians ever understood what we were doing.

Times have changed somewhat, but I would hate to think that our soldiers were losing sleep worrying about how the Canadian public was, or was not thinking about them. My God, have we sunk that far? I hope not.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
What the hell has happened

to this country? Do we now have to visibly support our troops? Better that we each think our own thoughts about our miltary overseas. I wager there is no Canadian that wishes our soldiers any ill will. Our military has always done the bidding of their elected masters. The military has little say in it, except in the form of operational recomendations.

I've served in our military albeit a few years ago, and We never looked for support from the Canadian public. We considered the public to be "civilians", and hardly worth talking to. Few civilians ever understood what we were doing.

Times have changed somewhat, but I would hate to think that our soldiers were losing sleep worrying about how the Canadian public was, or was not thinking about them. My God, have we sunk that far? I hope not.

I think it is a concern for Canadian soldiers somewhat, but not too big a concern. Because if you have a public that is totally against you, in what you are doing you begin to question yourself and the mission.

I agree some civilians just don't want to know what the military does, and complains about it until it helps them out in some disaster.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
So every friday, i will make sure i wear nothing of red.

Blueberry this mission based on lies.