**** walk..?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I highly doubt there are any stats collected as the issue of victim's dress is irrelavant to the crime

How do you know that without collecting the data first? Why does the data scare you? If, hypothetically, there was 10% increase in the risk of assault if your daughter wore shorts to a night club, wouldn't you want her to be aware of that stat? Don't you care enough about your daughter to give her all the help you possibly can?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If you understand it is an irrelavant issue why do you want/need stats? It is irrelavent and so therefore any stats would be irrelavant also.

Cart before the horse. To my knowledge there has never been any data collected so it would be too soon to decide on what is or isn't relevant. A good scientist wouldn't come to a conclusion before he has analyzed the data. I take it science was not one of your strong subjects in school?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you understand it is an irrelavant issue why do you want/need stats? It is irrelavent and so therefore any stats would be irrelavant also.
Sorry, let me break that down for you, so you can understand a proper sentence.

I highly doubt there are any stats collected

I understand that, which would be why we stated we'd like to see some'

Are you able to follow along now? I apologize for any confusion, you may have suffer by not being able to understand what I was addressing.

I take it science was not one of your strong subjects in school?
Quick question Cannuck...

Why is that not an insult, but my asking if he made up a word is?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
How do you know that without collecting the data first? Why does the data scare you? If, hypothetically, there was 10% increase in the risk of assault if your daughter wore shorts to a night club, wouldn't you want her to be aware of that stat? Don't you care enough about your daughter to give her all the help you possibly can?
I do not have a duaghter, 2 sons instead, but I do have a young niece whom I try to teach the importance of being ladylike and how it can affect others opinions of her, she has a horrible habit of sitting like a football player while wearing a skirt. Of course I care about her and every other female and try to guide her as best as I can. Unfortunately once she becomes an adult she can do as she pleases. I would think the better solution is to teach the boys that no means no and that the way a woman dresses or conducts herslef is never an invitation to sex or sexual assault in any way shape or form.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I do not have a duaghter, 2 sons instead, but I do have a young niece whom I try to teach the importance of being ladylike and how it can affect others opinions of her, she has a horrible habit of sitting like a football player while wearing a skirt. Of course I care about her and every other female and try to guide her as best as I can. Unfortunately once she becomes an adult she can do as she pleases. I would think the better solution is to teach the boys that no means no and that the way a woman dresses or conducts herslef is never an invitation to sex or sexual assault in any way shape or form.
So why are you teaching her to be ladylike?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Cart before the horse. To my knowledge there has never been any data collected so it would be too soon to decide on what is or isn't relevant. A good scientist wouldn't come to a conclusion before he has analyzed the data. I take it science was not one of your strong subjects in school?

Collecting the data in the first place is an admission that it is a rellavent issue concerning sexual assault and can then be used in defense of the act. I can only imagine all the defense lawyers salivating for just such a study to show that because some girl wore a short skirt she bears some responsibility for the assualt against her.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why is that not an insult, but my asking if he made up a word is?

Did I say it was an insult? If I remember correctly I may have said you tried insulting him. You failed miserably and only made yourself look the fool. I have no problems with insults btw. An intelligent poster will be able to do it while making a point or saying something constructive or, at the very least, humorous. When a post does nothing except insult, while not particularly offensive in my mind it is rather boring.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So why are you teaching her to be ladylike?

Because those are the morals and values I was taught and personally believe in. Like I said though, once she becomes an adult those choices are up to her and should she choose to wear a miniskirt to the bar she can.

As in my previous post the better solution is not to teach girls to cover up but to teach boys that the miniskirt is not an invatation to treat her any differently than if she was in an ankle lenght dress with a high collar.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I would think the better solution is to teach the boys that no means no and that the way a woman dresses or conducts herslef is never an invitation to sex or sexual assault in any way shape or form.

It's a solution. Is it a better solution to rely on your ability to raise your kid than to give my daughter good advice if you haven't. I don't think so. That's the same stuff Gerry talk. Given how he behaves here, I wouldn't want my daughters within a mile of his sons.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
No it's not, it's called research, to see if it is.

The law has already determined dress is not relavant to sexual assualt. It is no defense. Any study saying a woman is 10% or any% more likely to be assaulted because of the way she dresses then becomes a defense.

I can hear the defence lawyer now..."It is a well know fact your honor that women in miniskirts are 20% more succeptable to rape, this lady should have known that and not worn one"

Can you see the point here?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It's a solution. Is it a better solution to rely on your ability to raise your kid than to give my daughter good advice if you haven't. I don't think so. That's the same stuff Gerry talk. Given how he behaves here, I wouldn't want my daughters within a mile of his sons.
I completely understand your point. You cannot rely on others to teach their children right from wrong and I would never suggest you don't advise your daughter about modesty and decorum.

I am expressing how collecting such stats would then affect the legality of making dress an issue that may become defensible in a court.

Why do you only support laws you like?

Because I can....:canada:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I find it curious that, with almost all other violent crimes, the talk generally tends to be all about the offender. But in the instance of rape, the talk seems to be all about the victim.

If anyone is genuinely interested in finding any kind of empirical data about rape and victimology I would suggest asking a rapist. I can almost guarantee that there are probably reams of published interviews with convicted rapists.

But it needs to be pointed out that rape is about power, domination and control. Sex is merely the weapon.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am expressing how collecting such stats would then affect the legality of making dress an issue that may become defensible in a court.
Wouldn't the victim shield laws, enforce the fact that no means no? On top of the simple fact that no actually means no?

Because I can....:canada:
Yes, aren't freedoms great? It's very said that you feel that only you are entitled to them.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Any study saying a woman is 10% or any% more likely to be assaulted because of the way she dresses then becomes a defense.

Really? So any study that shows that you are more likely to be mugged in New York City is a defense for muggers in NYC.....seriously?

If anyone is genuinely interested in finding any kind of empirical data about rape and victimology I would suggest asking a rapist. I can almost guarantee that there are probably reams of published interviews with convicted rapists.

That's not very scientific though as you'll talk mostly with the braggarts.