Victoria Flower Count

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Yeah, but they don't have bars attached to them. You just buy the beer and go drink it. A lot of the local bars keep the micro-brew on tap though.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Now rev let me ask you a question..In Carol shields book, larry's party, which mostly takes place in winnipeg, larry is into garden mazes. Are there garden mazes in winnipeg?? Henry I know there are awesome garden mazes in britian.

We have "A Maze in Corn" which opened about the same time Shields wrote that book. I think there's something in the English Garden in Assiniboine park too. It isn't a major industry or anything though.

i think that was the area my partner was involved with when he was at school.....redevelopment of that area. was that done say, in the last twenty years?

They've been working on it off and on for about twenty years. Every second mayor we get is a short-sited greed-hog which kind of slows things down though. They are still working on it.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
They've been working on it off and on for about twenty years. Every second mayor we get is a short-sited greed-hog which kind of slows things down though. They are still working on it.

is it a redeveloped area? making it into a housing/shopping area? partner did his paper on that area and how to redevelop it. he won the governor generals gold medal in architecture for it! i have seen his work on it, it was quite extensive. he had told me he knew that a couple of developers had bought the area after the study and had planned to actually implement his paper.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That sounds about right. There have been a few developers that were trying to get things done and gave up because of our city hall. It kind of petered out, although some buildings were refurbished.

When Murray was mayor he got things kick-started again. Red River College opened up a satellite campus and a lot of U of W students moved into lofts etc.

Our new mayor is more into promoting million dollar condos on the riverbank though, so a lot of the more reasonable and useful Exchange District projects are slowing down again.

It is a lot better than it was though. It's just that starting and stopping has made it a painful process. That's all weird Winnipeg politics. There are shops and restaurants now, and there are people living down there who have jobs etc.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Rev, I know I asked you this once before a long time ago, but whats the name of the district of "mansions" (for lack of a better term) that is along the north side of the river, with a bricked set of pillars at each end of the street?

Walked through there after dinner one evening in the summer of '79, and was slack-jawed... there's obviously some serious coin in that city.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That's Tuxedo, Ten Packs. It's where the Richardson's live. It's where the Asper brothers built their twin mansions. There is some very serious coin out that way.

When I was delivering firewood I used to get a lot of trips there. I remember dropping a load off at one of those houses once. I thought it was really weird that the rich people were helping me, even treating me like a human being. Then I figured it out...they weren't the owners, they were the servants. I was one of the few places where I ever stacked the wood.

jemima

Mar 7, 2005
alberta
Ah, finally, I found it again! I am from victoria but moved two years ago. I found this forum by typing flower count victoria into google because I miss terribly the pink blossoms and yellow daffodils and red tulips this time of year. Sighs.....Anyone got any good descriptions of the beautiful victoria neibourhoods? I'm having green withdrawl symptoms!!!!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Welcome jemima :p Well hopefully you get to visit the city of flowers every so often. It is a beautiful city, I think my favorite neighbourhood is fairfield. I could walk around it all day, all the homes have such character, I especially like the arts and crafts homes. Its so friendly, you can chat up anyone sitting on their front stoop :p The neighourhood has everything, it near the ocean, it has a great organic farmers market on the weekends, and you could spend the entire day at the ross bay cemetary 8) I like the little shops and hey they have a starbucks there to :p What neighbourhood did you live in when you lived here??

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
hehehehhehehehe yes I bet it was :wink: It is a great place tho, the stonework alone is worth a look, a nice resting place right by the ocean like that. What neighbourhood did you live in twila, I also like galaniomama's neighbourhood vic west. She lives on a street with beautiful character homes, not far from the gorge. I got a rodo that is blooming right now..and ehm also my evergreen clematis is also blooming...it smells of jasmine :p :wink: