US plans death camp

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
US plans death camp
May 26, 2003

THE US has floated plans to turn Guantanamo Bay into a death camp, with its own death row and execution chamber.

Prisoners would be tried, convicted and executed without leaving its boundaries, without a jury and without right of appeal, The Mail on Sunday newspaper reported yesterday.

The plans were revealed by Major-General Geoffrey Miller, who is in charge of 680 suspects from 43 countries, including two Australians.

The suspects have been held at Camp Delta on Cuba without charge for 18 months.

General Miller said building a death row was one plan. Another was to have a permanent jail, with possibly an execution chamber.

The Mail on Sunday reported the move is seen as logical by the US, which has been attacked worldwide for breaching the Geneva Convention on prisoners of war since it established the camp at a naval base to hold alleged terrorists from Afghanistan.

But it has horrified human rights groups and lawyers representing detainees.

They see it as the clearest indication America has no intention of falling in line with internationally recognised justice.

The US has already said detainees would be tried by tribunals, without juries or appeals to a higher court. Detainees will be allowed only US lawyers.

British activist Stephen Jakobi, of Fair Trials Abroad, said: "The US is kicking and screaming against any pressure to conform with British or any other kind of international justice."

American law professor Jonathan Turley, who has led US civil rights group protests against the military tribunals planned to hear cases at Guantanamo Bay, said: "It is not surprising the authorities are building a death row because they have said they plan to try capital cases before these tribunals.

"This camp was created to execute people. The administration has no interest in long-term prison sentences for people it regards as hard-core terrorists."

Britain admitted it had been kept in the dark about the plans.

A Downing St spokesman said: "The US Government is well aware of the British Government's position on the death penalty."

Herald Sun

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
THE US has floated plans to turn Guantanamo Bay into a death camp, with its own death row and execution chamber.

that is the magic quote. they are putting it out to gauge world opinion. If people keep quiet and say nothing they may push ahead. If there is an international uproar - especially from within and from the Arab nations they will back off.

Its time for people to speak up. bombard the whitehouse with emails and tell them to adhere to basic human rights and rights under international law as they would expect done to their own soldiers and citizens.

www.whitehouse.gov/

Now let em have it!

Umm...I suppose I'm wrong in saying this doesn't really bother me.

Why? Because they aren't killing anyone. They are -thinking- about it. And actually looking for opinions of people. Heh. I guess that makes the US a pack of Nazi's...I mean...Hitler did run opinion polls.

I would like to say this. Every person who compares the US to the 3rd Reich is doing a grave disgrace to the people that were killed or ill affect in World War Two because of that regiem.
Hitler and his generals killed for one reason...to eliminate the Jews and social undesirables (gypsies and handicapped).

The US is -not- looking to kill Arabs, or Australians, or Islamic peoples. It is looking to kill people who it considers terrorists.
And if your political views include blowing up a bus to prove a point of what is ultimately philosophy...well, I suppose I want you dead. Not because I think you are evil...but because your method of "persuasion" endangers human lives and killing people will not help affect a solution.

In that same breath...I don't think the US should kill people as it will only polarize the issue.

It's a sticky wicket. But saying "the US is evil" isn't really constructive. It won't get people to listen to you. And if that is gonna get you frustrated to the point you feel you need to blow up busses to prove -your- point...well, maybe trying to see the situation from a different point of view...say...power/lack there of relationship instead of a moral/judging relationship.

Compramise is the key to peace. But -everyone- needs to compramise.

I think often the US feels like the biggest kid in the 6th grade. Other kids pick on him because he's the biggest. Other kids square off to fight him. Other kids even punch him and run away. But for all that torment he can't hit them back...because if he does the teacher is gonna tell him he was wrong and send him to the principals office.

Is the teacher ignorant? Does she see something the kid doesn't? I don't know.

But making judgements is a dangerous game. Because drawing lines in the sands and making issues black and white makes it very easy to push someone to a fight or flight response.

Heh. Anyhow...Death is bad, no matter who does it. But hell, everything dies.
W-K

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
While I agree with much of the above post - you forget the millions killed around the globe by americas hand or by their agents of death. (cambodia, vietnam, laos, indonesia, phillipines, el salvador and on and on and on) Dont ever forget it - for they certainly cant.

The US is -not- looking to kill Arabs, or Australians, or Islamic peoples. It is looking to kill people who it considers terrorists.
And if your political views include blowing up a bus to prove a point of what is ultimately philosophy...well, I suppose I want you dead. Not because I think you are evil...but because your method of "persuasion" endangers human lives and killing people will not help affect a solution.

It is the selective nature and frequency of the above that makes the US such a target. Terrorist is such a subjective term. Those america attacks with missiles and rockets most certainly look on america has terrorists. What is the differance between a missile or a human bomb when innocents still die?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Wulf, what about the millions of asians killed throughout the 60s and 70s? Did you forget about the other arabs the americans have exploited throughout the years?

America is not an innocent nation. They've always had their nose in others` issues. American people are fine.. and it's not their fault they are manipulated into voting for one of the two evils, democrats and republicans. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Both parties are about money and none of them are about social change and improvement... or change in foreign policy.