Twila's Recipe Thread

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I read a post the other day where Twila was enquiring as to the location of the Recipe Thread...well here it is, and I'd like to post the first recipe, it's one of my favourites...

Haggis with Bashed Neeps and Champit Tatties

INGREDIENTS:

1 large haggis, pre-prepared or home-made (allow 200g per person)
900g potatoes, peeled (waxy Desirees are good for a luscious, creamy mash)
salt
900g turnips, peeled
25g butter
2 splashes of milk (or double cream, although this can be too rich for some people)
whisky (optional)

PREPARATION:

1. Wrap the haggis in foil and place in a large pot of cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the temperature and simmer for about 45 minutes per 500g.

2. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into equal sized chunks. Place in a pot of boiling water. Peel and cube the turnips and place in another pot of boiling water. Boil both for 15–20 minutes or until tender. (For more details, read the iVillage guide to the perfect mash.)

3. Drain and mash the potatoes, adding any milk and/or cream as desired. Drain and mash the turnip.

4. Remove the haggis from the foil and transfer to a warmed plate or platter. Read 'To a Haggis', piercing the haggis at the appropriate point with a sharp knife (or 'sgian dubh', the dagger kept in a Scots gentleman's sock). Serve with a scoop each of mashed potato and mashed turnip. The haggis can be drizzled with whisky if desired.

PREP/COOK INFORMATION:

Cook time: 3 hours Serves: 6

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Boy. Had I known this about you Vanni I'd have made the effort to find the website where you can by man meat......

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Twila's Recipe Thread

Twila said:
Boy. Had I known this about you Vanni I'd have made the effort to find the website where you can by man meat......

...and the special today is Wild Twila Surprise

A generous portion of glazed Twila served over a bed of steamed rice topped with red pepper sauce and sliced almonds... :twisted:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Kewl 8) so now your a fruitbat, I am rather fond of bats..I tell ya..in the garden..you can actually hear them zero in on their target...seriously...the sonar speeds up as he zeros in...kewl 8O

Oh yes...mean while back at the ranch...here is a secret family receipe, well its not really a receipe just a way to keep yourself entertained when your on a budget.

Next time you are out, order fries and a chocolate milkshake. Stuff a french fry down the straw and then suck it out, dragging the chocolate. The result is this cool sort of cold chocolate-coated potato thing. Make sure nobody is lookin 8)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
My friends little girl use to dip her french fries in her sprite...to cool them off you know?

I think that your "recipe" is better performed with onlookers...that way you can enjoy the look on their faces and the flavours on your tongue.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Thanks goes out to Vannie for resurrecting this thread !

Cause with out his doing that I'd never have realized this:

Crack Snack - 2 Crunch wafers bars, and a Snicker's bar, smashed together, dipped in ketchup......gooey but tart.

hmmmm, here in Surrey, we have a very very VERY different recipe for Crack snack.....*shudder*

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Vanni Fucci said:
peapod said:
Vanni, are you talking about cooking haggis a member here 8O haggis...haggis mcbagpipe...I did wonder where she went to...^^^^^ 8O

...and you thought as a six gun totin' moderator that your punishments were severe...

Hmmm...Haggis with stir fried peapods sounds scrumptious... :twisted:

... ha, and I was wondering why my ears were burning. It wasn't because someone was talking about me, no, it's because I'm being chosen as a meal option. Just keep in mind that this particular Haggis is decidedly old and tough. :cool:

merryclaire

Electoral Member
Feb 1, 2005
peapod,
that whole ketchup thing makes me want to barf!
LOL!
where'd you come up with that?
mind you, i'm not a big ketchup fan, so maybe that's the problem.

i like leftcoast's #5 to vanni's recipe. lol.

merryclaire

Electoral Member
Feb 1, 2005
peapod,
that whole ketchup thing makes me want to barf!
LOL!
where'd you come up with that?
mind you, i'm not a big ketchup fan, so maybe that's the problem.

i like leftcoast's #5 to vanni's recipe. lol.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Re: RE: Twila's Recipe Thread

LeftCoast said:
On the Haggis recipe - you forgot the most important step.

5. Throw out the haggis and drink the whiskey.
...and then wash it all down with a cold beer!

Soft pretzels drizzled with butter, sprinkled with dill pickle seasoning, and dipped into melted cheese sauce....or poutine dipped in mayo. Yum :mrgreen: ...Beleive it or not, my blood pressure is actually LOW!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yo! twinks..I gots a receipe you might be interested in, from another cat fancier. 8O

CAKE INGREDIENTS

1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix
1 box of white cake mix
1 package white sandwich cookies
1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix A few drops green food coloring
12 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent

SERVING "DISHES AND UTENSILS"

1 NEW cat-litter box
1 NEW cat-litter box liner
1 NEW pooper scooper

Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan.
Prepare pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or
food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie
crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.

When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss
with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the
mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.

Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable.
Shape the blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more
rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining
white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly
over top.

Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the
cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box. Heat the remaining
Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box. Place box
on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I've seen the pictures of that particular recipe, Pea. I don't know that I could ever eat it.....I'm not sure what percentage of appeal is actually visual....but it must be over 50% cause I can't bring myself to even think too much about eating a cake that looks like that.

Although my daughter was all gung ho to have it as her birthday cake 1 year! That would have made some wonderful pictures for the photo album! lol