Traditional Ethnic Recipes

neocon-hunter

Time Out
Sep 27, 2005
Cloverdale, BC
RE: Traditional Ethnic Re

I find for a change when I make spaghetti sauce or chili, is to use seafood like scallops, shrimp or cubed fish or chicken instead of hamburger. I even use sausages once in a while too instead of hamburger.

On occasion I will use shrimp, burger, sausage, chicken in at same time.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I just made this one up tonight. I call it "Chicken Stuff."

Take some chicken and cut it into bits.
Make a marinade of beer (Two Rivers Red works best), honey garlic sauce, soy sauce, garlic (they never put enough in the sauce), onions (I like the red ones), one of those sweet orange peppers, a couple tomatoes, and maybe some other spices and stuff if you've got them laying around.

Put the chicken in the marinade for a few hours.

Cook some rice.

Dump the chicken and the marinade into a frying pan. Add some string beans and some peas and carrots (I had to use frozen, but fresh would be better), toss in a can of mushrooms (likely fresh ones would be better, but Mrs. Rev won't buy them).

Cook until the chicken is about done. Toss the rice into the frying pan and mix it all together. Let it bubble until the rice absorbs most of the sauce.

Yummy. :D

edgerunner

Electoral Member
Sep 28, 2004
Seattle
Yo, yo yo Rev. That stuff sounded pretty good untill String-bean, Peas and Carrots entered the picture. Mrs. Rev doesn't have much-room on her plate for Mushrooms? We thought she was cool. Maybe the doggies have changed her. I promise not to let Zen discover this amazing and horrible revelation about her tastes. Has it started to get sub zero up there, yet? Will give you a Ringy-dingy soon. I betcha just cannot wait untill we send the Pee-Wee Herman inspired outdoor gear that we have for you, eh? Way better than that mini-chainsaw from last year. What was Zen thinking?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Traditional Ethnic Re

I've noticed a trend with regards to Rev's recipes. They all have beer in them.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Two Rivers Red works best. :D

That stuff sounded pretty good untill String-bean, Peas and Carrots entered the picture.

Veggies are good for you, Edge.

Mrs. Rev doesn't have much-room on her plate for Mushrooms?

I don't understand it, but she's not a muchroom fan. Not to worry though, that just means more for me. You should keep mushrooms away from Zen though...sometimes he can get quite insistent that it's snowing in July.

Has it started to get sub zero up there, yet?

A bit. It's still nice out though, you just have to remember to wear a jacket.

I betcha just cannot wait untill we send the Pee-Wee Herman inspired outdoor gear that we have for you, eh? Way better than that mini-chainsaw from last year. What was Zen thinking?

I was chasing the dogs around the house with that chainsaw just yesterday. They seem to be under the impression that it's real. :lol:

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
Kokum's Bannock

Bannock is unlevened flat bread, made with ingredients available in the food rations that were distributed on indian reserves. It was considered survival food when access to traditional hunting grounds were unavailable to native peoples. There are as many different ways to cook bannock as there are isolated reservations across Canada, but this is how my kokum (grandmother) made it:

4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons lard
about 2 cups of water
Optional: raisins, sugar, wild cranberries, nuts, seeds, or whatever you have.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Melt lard then mix it into the dry ingredients. You can add some optional ingredients here, but you will have to experiment a bit to see what works. My kokum even used fish eggs in her bannock sometimes, but I didn't care for it...made the bannock too dense and oily!

Now make a little hole in the middle of the mixture. Start slowly adding some water and stir the mixture simultaneously with a fork, just a little at a time to the right consistency. You want to form a ball of dough that is not too sticky to handle and not so dry that it falls apart.

Once you have a good dough ball, knead it a bit to make sure it's mixed well. Don't knead it too much or it will turn out rock hard. Toss some flour on the bottom of a baking pan then press the dough into the pan. Use your fork to poke holes all over the top of the bannock, then sprinkle some flour on top.

Flip the whole thing over and make some holes on the other side, then put it in the oven at about 350 for about 25-30 mins. Flip the bannock over and bake it for another 10-5 mins, until it is a toasty brown colour.

Take the bannock out and put a light coating of lard on both sides, wrap it in a clean tea towel and lean it upright on the counter against the wall (this is to keep the bottom from getting soggy from laying on top of a hard surface).

Boil some water for labrador tea, steep with wild mint leaves. Serve bannock with lard (or butter if available) and homemade cranberry or blueberry jam and hot tea.

:)

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
"tyranny of the measuring utensil"

That is fantastic! There really should be an entire website dedicated to this.

As for a recipe that expresses my roots/heritage: - I'm British for gods sake! The favourite food in England comes from Indian takeaways. I myself am rather partial to a Chicken Jalfresi with Mushroom fried rice.

To take me right back to my roots, you would need to make a meal out of a 24 hour ration pack. Lets try it shall we:

1. One water bottle with sterilising tablet and some orange powder. Swig this whilst your trying to gain the courage to eat more from the pack.

2. Take sachet of beef stew and heat in a single mess tin using 1 hexi block. Remember to use the sachet as a sleeve for the mess tin handle else you will burn yourself when trying to eat the delicious contents.

3. Finish orange from water bottle and go back to local stream to get more water.

4. Move up-stream of the dead deer and take uncontaminated water. Season with a sterilising tablet. leave for 30 minutes.

5. Open green pack of biscuit browns and attempt to eat one before all the saliver in your mouth has been used up. Ok, please note DO NOT LOSE THE LEMON POWDER SACHET. You will need this to reverse the constipation effects of the biscuit.

6. If it's a nice day, crack open the mini pack of Rolo's (or similar) and enjoy one of the 5 Rolo's as a nourishing desert.

Now pack your crap up, pick up your rifle and hike for another 20 miles until you've earned another Rolo ;-)

BLISS!

Hey - I was born in an Army Garrison and I spent much of my youth and teenage years as an Army cadet. This recipe demonstrates my roots perfectly.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Perhaps he's had some influence from The Urban Peasant for a cooking show it was fun to watch. Not only did most of his stuff called for Alcohol of various sorts, if you watched closely he'd go from sober to VERY flushed/high by the end of the show. :lol:

The conductor

Feb 12, 2006
I go to different websites that have recipes and use them to make my own stuff. Sometimes I change it a bit for a Canadian version or I just leave it alone.
I do about 95% of the cooking in our home. Not bad for a guy.
This week I made Finnish turnip bake. It was yummy.
Mostly I try to make Canadian dishes, but have tryed Nordic recipes, Patak's (from the back of the can or U.K. website) recipes, All-Recipes or Recipe*zaar.
If anybody has any more suggestions, please let me know. :D

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
The conductor, I wouldnt like to lead you astray, here, before you have got to know me---before you try this recipe and there are many on the net-- please review the forum "favorite bears".......

SwitSof

Electoral Member
I can't take spicy food that much but really love this when I was in Singapore: beef rendang.
It's actually a Malay or Indonesian dish. Sort of like beef curry but the sauce is made from coconut milk.

Recipe:
  • 1-2 kg stewing beef, cut into 1" chunks
  • extra garlic, sambal olek, soy sauce and oil
  • 4-6 cloves garlic (fresh and not pre-pureed bottled garlic as it tastes foul)
  • 2" piece of fresh ginger, skinned
  • 1 medium onion or a bunch of shallots
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder (or preferably the fresh root)
  • 3-4 tbsp sambal olek (Indonesian Chili Sauce, do not use sweet Thai Sauce)
  • salt to taste or soy sauce
  • 1 cup of coconut milk or paste
  • 1-2 teaspoons tamarind paste
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2-3 mashed kemiri/candle nuts
  • oil for frying
Rub the beef with mashed garlic, Sambal Olek, soy sauce and oil. Let marinate for a couple of hours in the fridge.
Make a paste (in a blender or food processor) of everything in the second group of ingredients (garlic ... soy sauce). If it is too thick to blend add some oil. Modify the spices according to taste, however you must use a lot of the chili paste as this is the central ingredient for the sauce.
Heat oil in pan until it is very hot. Add the beef and sear until brown all over (about 4-5 mins).
Add the spice paste, mix and cook on high heat for another few minutes.
Add the final group of ingredients (except candle nuts). Bring to boil then simmer for about 2 hours. Stir regularly (every 20 mins or so) as the sauce tends to be thick and dry.
With half and hour to go, check sauce thickness. The sauce should be a thick sauce when finished. Add candle nuts to thicken and then leave with lid off to reduce the liquid levels and make the sauce a thick pasty consistency (stir more frequently to stop sticking). This dish improves with age so I usually cook it the day before I want to eat it and then reheat. Cuts down workload if you are cooking several dishes.

harleyhunny

Time Out
Feb 25, 2008
International
I am thinking about food now, andem showed he a pic of the lunch he just made himself 8O I thought it was in a restaurant.
Do you have a recipe that expresses your ethnic roots/ heritage? Please share it.
Here is my papa's favorite

TOURTIÈRE

1-1/4 lbs. lean ground pork ¼ tsp. Ground cinnamon

¾ lbs. lean ground beef ¼ tsp. Ground cloves

1 onion, finely chopped ½ cup water

1 tsp. Salt

1/8 tsp. Pepper

Put all ingredients except pastry into a saucepan and cook covered slowly about 1 hour, until meat is tender and liquid cooked down.
Stir occasionally. Let meat mixture cool before putting in pie plate. Put bottom crust in pie plate, spread mixture evenly and put on top crust. Trim and crimp edges. Slash to let out steam.

Place in 400 degree oven until light brown , 25 to 30 minutes, depending on oven.

Hey martin, you must have some pretty good ones! lets hear them. 8)

You can also roll your pastry out then cut them into nice (turnover size) round sizes to take with you. I use to make them in a turnover style so my ex-husband could take them to work and heat them up. ;-)

harleyhunny

Time Out
Feb 25, 2008
International
CRAB TOSTADAS

Everyone just loves this when I serve it up for snacks at the bar.

makes 8 tostadas.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic crushed
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 small avocado, peeled and finely chopped
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped pickled chillis plus 2 tablespoons of their juice
1 pound cooked crab meat (fresh is better)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (ground or cracked is better is you have it)
8 corn or wheat tortillas, fried crisp

Heat oil in frying pan, then stir fry onions and garlic over medium heat for 4 min.
Combine the tomatoes, coriander, parsley, chilis,juice, avocado and crab, then stir in onion mixture salt and pepper. Top tortillas with mixture, then serve with lime wedges, and hot pepper sauce.