Toronto councillor catches heat for driving-while-voting

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Toronto councillor catches heat for driving-while-voting

Coun. Paula Fletcher angrily leaves meeting after being called out for voting on motions while driving
Author of the article:
Bryan Passifiume
Publishing date:
Feb 19, 2021 • 13 hours ago • 1 minute read
Article content

More than budget deliberations drove Toronto city councillors to distraction on Thursday.

Nearing the end of a marathon nine-hour virtual meeting ratifying the city budget, council was thrown into a tizzy when Toronto-Danforth Councillor Paula Fletcher was called on to vote on a motion — her Webex video window depicting her behind the wheel of a car.
Man driving tractor arrested after cannabis and cocaine was found in his system

Tracker dslogo

“Illegal!” shouted Coun. Mike Colle, as her colleagues displayed reactions ranging from shock to amusement.

“Councillor Fletcher, you’re driving … and you’re voting? On your phone?” asked a visibly exacerbated speaker Frances Nunziata.

“You can’t vote while you’re driving a motor vehicle, it’s unlawful!” interjected Colle.
Advertisement
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

“I’m not holding the phone!” Fletcher shouted back, at one point taking her hands off the wheel and throwing them in the air.

“You’re looking at me! Hands are on the wheel, eyes are straight ahead!”

Nunziata replied, telling Fletcher it’s inappropriate.
More On This Topic
Pedestrians pass through Nathan Phillips Square in front of Toronto City Hall on March 16, 2020.
Council approves property tax hike
A business owner has temporarily closed one of their locations on Bayview Ave. in Toronto due to the coronavirus outbreak.
LILLEY: Forget shopping, Mayor John Tory wants you to stay home

“Okay then, I’ll leave the meeting,” Fletcher said.

“If Councillor (Michael) Thompson didn’t want every vote recorded I’d be fine. Bye!”

Coun. Shelley Carroll spent the exchange in hysterical laughter.

“I think we know what tomorrow morning’s news will be,” she laughed, while Fletcher indignantly repeated “bye!”

Fletcher barked that a staff member was holding the phone before demanding the phone be switched off — dropping out of the meeting and relinquishing her vote on the rest of the budget motions.

Mayor John Tory defended Fletcher, saying he didn’t feel any laws were broken by her attending the meeting while driving and accusing council of ‘browbeating’ her.

The city clerk confirmed no rule exists that prohibit councillors from taking part in meeting while driving.

bpassifiume@postmedia.com
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
MOTIONS IN MOTION: Mixed reaction to councillor's in-vehicle meeting attendance
Author of the article:Bryan Passifiume
Publishing date:Feb 19, 2021 • 14 hours ago • 2 minute read

Councillor Paula Fletcher behind the wheel during 2021 city budget votes on Thursday, Feb. PHOTO BY SCREENGRAB /City of Toronto
Article content
It was a gut reaction.

Eglinton-Lawrence Councillor Mike Colle said his outburst seeing fellow lawmaker Paula Fletcher voting-while-driving near the end of Thursday’s virtual budget meeting as ‘visceral.’

Harry and Meghan make final split with Royal Family

Trackerdslogo
“I saw her in the car, and I said … that’s wrong,” he said.

“It was a total visceral reaction.”

Near the end of a marathon nine-hour session to ratify the 2021 budget, Fletcher’s video window showed her behind the wheel of a car, her phone held by an aide.

“Paula, don’t you dare go on the Gardiner,” quipped Coun. Michael Ford.

“Texting and driving, it’s illegal!” called out Colle.

Fletcher demanded her aide shut off the phone, and was absent for the rest the voting.

“Sometimes we all get so engrossed in what we’re doing, especially as councillors,” Colle told the Sun, explaining councillors are under a lot of pressure adapting to working remotely.

“We gotta stop and think about our safety, for God’s sake — that’s what I was trying to express.”

Not everyone thought Fletcher’s actions were out of line.

Councillor Michael Thompson saw no issue with Fletcher’s legislation-on-the-go.

“She had a staff member with her,” he said.

“Because we work remotely, I don’t think there was a real problem.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

Fletcher seemingly blamed Thompson for her situation, implying it was his fault for requesting recorded votes.

“I have a right as a member of council to ask for votes to be recorded,” he said.

“It’s really important for us to understand how people vote or view things,”

While votes are usually a simple show of hands, recorded votes put each councillor’s decision on record.

“I don’t control councillor Fletcher’s schedule, we work through an orderly process in a way that allows us to define and also validate the work that we do,” he said.

Requests to Fletcher for comment went unreturned by press time.

Ottawa city councillor George Darouze texting while driving during a Nov. 2020 virtual audit meeting City of Ottawa
In November, Ottawa City Councillor George Darouze was broadcast driving while wearing headphones and texting during a virtual audit meeting.

He later turned himself in to police, offering to pay the $615 fine.

bpassifiume@postmedia.com
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume