There Goes America

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If we could take a break from our poor winner/poor loser jeering and whining. . .
While the Brony get's back some...

Because of these decisions, the right will be thumping the drum. and there will be a good number of right-wingers getting out to the polls who would otherwise just stay home because the Republican candidate isn't hateful enough to motivate them.
Poor winner/poor loser jeering and whining.

LOL!

I can see it now.

Republicans trying to sway the gay voter to their side.

It's the perfect stragedy!

Tecumseh got to the point before I did.

Well done.
It comes as no surprise you missed it, lol

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yes it's been done numerous times throughout the ages for different reasons but the topic I am referring to is one Pastor saying he will burn himself for his beliefs in the Bible and Gays and one who actually did.

It remains to be seen if Pastor Scarborough is truly a man of conviction or just a tired yapper.........

'We Will Burn': Texas Pastor to Set Himself Aflame if Marriage Equality Wins | Advocate.com

Somebody better watch this guy.

He's likely to go full on jihadist.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If we could take a break from our poor winner/poor loser jeering and whining. . .

The Supremes may have done the Republicans a huge favor with the Obamacare decision and the gay marriage decision.

In American politics, convincing the uncommitted isn't the be-all and end-all. Equally, and perhaps more, important is getting your base, the ones who agree with you and will never change, up off their La-Z-Boys to write a check and actually show up at their polling place (assuming they can find it).

Outrage does that real well.

Because of these decisions, the right will be thumping the drum. and there will be a good number of right-wingers getting out to the polls who would otherwise just stay home because the Republican candidate isn't hateful enough to motivate them.

EDITED TO ADD: Before the whiners start whining, the left is equally ignorant, stupid, lazy, and poorly-motivated. However, being generally better at the internet, they have less trouble finding out where their polling places are.

That's true, but I don't think it would be motivating enough if the Republican candidate was, say, another Romney. Why vote for the Republican when you know it won't actually get you what you want?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Well if we all didn't have some sort of ax to grind I guess there wouldn't be much to say. Pro or con it's all a judgement call . I don't care one way or another if gay folks get married. I'm also aware that my opinion on the matter doesn't mean shyt. Which is kind of the point.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's true, but I don't think it would be motivating enough if the Republican candidate was, say, another Romney. Why vote for the Republican when you know it won't actually get you what you want?
Your error is in thinking that logic and reason play a significant role in the average Murkan voter's "thinking."

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well if we all didn't have some sort of ax to grind I guess there wouldn't be much to say. Pro or con it's all a judgement call . I don't care one way or another if gay folks get married. I'm also aware that my opinion on the matter doesn't mean shyt. Which is kind of the point.

It's exactly the point. And if those who do care and make it all about their aversion, dragging up every ridiculous argument under the sun, would just get it through their thick skulls that their opinion also doesn't mean sh!t, we might actually get somewhere.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
EDITED TO ADD: Before the whiners start whining, the left is equally ignorant, stupid, lazy, and poorly-motivated. However, being generally better at the internet, they have less trouble finding out where their polling places are.
How cute, still a fail, but cute nonetheless.

Your error is in thinking that logic and reason play a significant role in the average Murkan voter's "thinking."
Got it, you're an average "Murkan voter".

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I can imagine them being just as demoralized though. It would have the opposite effect. It would energize the base enough to nominate a real frothy nutjob who can't win the general. When they lose they're always saying the candidate wasn't "conservative enough".

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

I think we can give more credit to most people in this day and age.

At least in democratic states.

I really think we're on a good trajectory here in the long run.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Bottom line is it's just about people sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. It simply isn't their business, it doesn't threaten anything. Don't "like it"? Fine, great even. Feel free to not like it to your hearts content. Who cares?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think we can give more credit to most people in this day and age.

At least in democratic states.
Pollyanna.

I really think we're on a good trajectory here in the long run.
Haltingly, painfully, with many setbacks. . . but nonetheless, the arc of the moral universe is bending toward justice.

So maybe you ain't all that much of a Pollyanna.

It was a good day. The circle of people who qualify as fully human grew a little.

Not a bad day's work for the Court.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bottom line is it's just about people sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. It simply isn't their business, it doesn't threaten anything. Don't "like it"? Fine, great even. Feel free to not like it to your hearts content. Who cares?

Oh no, I'm pretty sure same-sex marriage actually stops heterosexuals from marrying, prevents them from procreating, and if it doesn't, it sure as hell will prevent them having a nuclear family. They'd have to move in with the in-laws or something.