The WNBA Shot Itself in the Foot

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
At this point the WNBA should stand for "Woke" Nasty Bitchy Assholes." After 30 years of never making anything close to a profit these stunned racist douche wheels chased off the best thing that happened to that league in 30 years. I'm talking about Caitlin Clark. She could well have been the start of the WNBA starting to make some money. I've watched her play. She's a monster at the game. Shattered NCAA records while playing for IOWA State. Shattered WNBA records in her rookie season even though her team sucked in the first half of the season.
But she also took a beating from some of the more racist players. And the league and refs were happy to let it go. I'm talking obvious and hard fouls that didn't get called.
This is a young woman who put asses in seats wherever she played. She could have been to the WNBA what Gretzky was to the NHL when the league was trying to grow the brand and grow more interest in US markets. There were plenty of US teams that would be playing in not too full arenas. But when Gretz came to town it would be a sell-out.

Clark did the same for the WNBA. She put asses in seats and that means more revenues for the teams. She could have helped grow the brand. What was interesting though was after her team (The Fever) were eliminated from the Playoffs, mostly due to fucking horrendous reffing and gratuitous thugging on Caitlin, the WNBA lost a BUNCH of new fans. Ticket sales and TV viewers dropped steeply for the rest of the playoffs and likely won't be returning next season. Because Clark is off to Europe to play ball.

Even Nike threw shade at her. And I'll tell you what. Clark took all the abuse from the league, refs, some of the players and even ESPN commentators with all the poise of a true professional athlete.

At this point I hope the NBA ends their $10+million/yr subsidy to keep the racist WNBA afloat and lets them die on their own. If the WNBA would rather keep playing their money-losing Identity Politicsball instead of basketball why should the NBA keep propping them up?

These stupid bitches whine about how they deserve more pay and then chase off the one person that could have started that trend by generating more interest in the league, which she did, which would hopefully translate into more revenues and making the league actually profitable, which ultimately translates into higher salaries. But we'll never know now.

If you're playing before a crowd of a few hundred, give or take, on a regular basis you ain't gonna have the revenues to pay those multi-million dollar salaries you want. It's simple math. It's not even basic economics for fucks sakes, just simple math.
Clark was giving them that crowd. Maybe not quite to the extent of an NBA game but a WHOLE lot more fans than the WNBA was getting prior to her entry.
She even made her whole team better. Despite having a horrible first half the Fever managed to grab a playoff berth as the rest of the team took their lead from Caitlin and literally upped their game.

I wish Clark all the best in Europe. As for the WNBA, well I think I've said enough about them. I DO want to point out though that not all of the WNBA players were complete fucking twats to Caitlin. And don't give me any of that "It was what any other rookie gets in a pro league" crap because it wasn't. They did shit to her that even NHL refs in the 1980s couldn't ignore and certainly wouldn't fly in the NBA either.

Reactions: petros

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

While I don't follow it, this was an interesting read on the topic.

Also, no, no she's NOT going to Europe.

It wasn't Clark who left, but another player.

And her leaving wasn't about racism, but lies from the head about player pays.

I know, I know, lots of people put out the assumptions. But as of 2 days ago... she was not leaving the WMBA.