The ten Commandments

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
i didn't say i was a "theist" either. Nor can you say I am agnostic.

I suppose I can't...but you can tell me.

You see, I don't deny how little we know, but I will stress that based on our limited perception and our limited knowledge there are a great deal of possibilities that exist that we need to account for. I don't apply conventional human constructs to this modeling. So, to give to you a simple hypothetical example: lets say entity X made an appearance and it displayed enough for you to conclude it is your "god". THe important thing is not what it is, but what your perception is. To me, it would not be a "god", nor "your god". It would be merely entity X! (I won't get into my frameworks here but I am willing to discuss if you are interested)

I think I see what you mean, and sure I'm interested.

I think for now though I'm going to retire and read in bed....I will read your posting tomorrow.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
oh sheesh sanctus, why are you so testy? :lol:

I challenge you to look at the "the church" and you deflect and set up straw men.

Tell you what, jay said he was interested in discussing my approach. How about you join in? For all your testiness, you will find that my framework does NOT rule out the existance of your god (it accomodates the existance, but does not rely on it).

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
oh sheesh sanctus, why are you so testy? :lol:

I challenge you to look at the "the church" and you deflect and set up straw men.

Not testy at all. Clearly I have looked at the Church, or I would not have followed the vocation I was called into. In fact, I would not be a member of the Church if I had not clearly looked at it, and the faith, a long time ago. do you think you invented your points? That they are exclusive to you alone and have never been considered by anyone before? So yes, I have "looked at the Church".

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
let me ask you, sanctus,

were you a catholic before you decided to become a priest? This may seem like a strange question, as if a buddhist would one day decide to become a catholic priest, but it is relevent to an understanding of habit. You like the term revisionist. Do not forget the greatest revisionists are those that "won the wars".

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
let me ask you, sanctus,

were you a catholic before you decided to become a priest? This may seem like a strange question, as if a buddhist would one day decide to become a catholic priest, but it is relevent to an understanding of habit. You like the term revisionist. Do not forget the greatest revisionists are those that "won the wars".

First off, I didn't "decide" to become a priest. But you won't accept the vocation and its ramifications on a man. Secondly, yes of course I was.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
on the contrary, I accept your belief in "the calling". My explanation may be different, but perspective along with our past, is the key.

Perspective is what I wanted to address. Growing up "within the framework of the RC tradition" will of course left you in an entirely different position than someone not growing up in that framework. We are a product of our past. It would be more natural to see the RC teachings as natural and congruent, than a non-christian.

We have different perspectives because of our different pasts. That does not mean we can not understand each other, even if we don't agree. So don't think I was trying to challenge your "faith". We each must walk our own paths.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Can you be a bit more specific? It was not Jesus, if that is what you are suggesting.In fact, Jesus mentions sin far more than He mentioned love.[/quot
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

No ,I'm not suggesting Jesus .As far as ....Jesus mentions sin far more than He mentioned lov...! Like what?.....I forgive you ,go sin no more? Jesus dwelt among us because of love ,everything he did was because of love ,Jesus is LOVE

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
china;752551 No said:
I am not disputing that. However, He did not just "love" and leave it at that, did He? Instead, He called people to repent of their sins, to reconcile themselves with God and become a holy people. He did not affirm people in their sinful behaviours.The much stated, and too simplistic, "Jesus is love" style of thinking is an attempt to dismiss the fact that, through love, Jesus was quite clear that each individual must reform his or her lifestyle to be reconciled to God.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Perspective is what I wanted to address. Growing up "within the framework of the RC tradition" will of course left you in an entirely different position than someone not growing up in that framework. We are a product of our past. It would be more natural to see the RC teachings as natural and congruent, than a non-christian.

We have different perspectives because of our different pasts. That does not mean we can not understand each other, even if we don't agree. So don't think I was trying to challenge your "faith". We each must walk our own paths.

I don't think for a moment you were trying to challenge my faith. I am only saying I am not in the least interested in debating Church doctrine or history. It is not personal, believe me. It is, in my opinion, an intellectual exercise that begins on false assumptions and leads nowhere. In truth, such discourses neither prove nor disprove anything, for we are left always with, you either accept it as true or you don't. Period. In this case, I do.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
It's interesting how threads on these types of forums go, at least to me. In re-reading the posts for this thread, one can find barely a mention of the 10 Commandments. I am not saying this is a bad thing, just that it is interesting to me that a post on one topic invites a slew of posts on another sometimes un-releated topic. You might say the posts discussing the Church within this thread are like that. Although they are interesting and involved strong feelings on both sides, again I find they had nothing at all to do with any of the Ten Commandments. I am wondering, to those that are participating in this thread, what do you think of the 10 Commandments? Are there any you find objectionable, or are they a blueprint for a sane society? Or are they just a historical document with no meaning in our modern world?