The Ratcliff Highway Murders

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
640px-Ratcliffe_Highway_Murders,_escape_of_John_Turner.jpg

In December 1811 - 77 years before Jack the Ripper did his or her foul deeds - seven people were murdered by another unknown serial killer. Each victim suffered a horrific death and one of the victims was a baby. The suspect that was to be tried hanged himself in his cell before his trial started and the case has never been solved.

This is the gruesome true story of the Ratcliff (or Ratcliffe) Highway Murders...

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave we'd call that a "quiet weekend."

Meanwhile, my country has one of the lowest murder rates in the world. Not sure how it ranked in 1811, though.

I actually managed to read the whole Wikipedia page on these murders just walking home from work tonight.

The week before last I read the whole Wikipedia page on Lady Hamilton from Monday to Friday walking home from work (I finish at 8pm).

Last week walking home from work, Monday to Friday, I read Lord Byron's Wikipedia page.

Walking home from work on Wednesday night I read about the 1820 Cato Street Conspiracy.

It took me Monday night and Tuesday night walking home from work to read all about Dick Turpin on Wikipedia.

It may be geeky, but then all highly intelligent people are geeky. Einstein and Hawking were geeky.

I've learnt a lot, though. I could spend an hour answering your questions on Nelson's girlfriend right now.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Meanwhile, my country has one of the lowest murder rates in the world. Not sure how it ranked in 1811, though.

I actually managed to read the whole Wikipedia page on these murders just walking home from work tonight.

The week before last I read the whole Wikipedia page on Lady Hamilton from Monday to Friday walking home from work (I finish at 8pm).

Last week walking home from work, Monday to Friday, I read Lord Byron's Wikipedia page.

Walking home from work on Wednesday night I read about the 1820 Cato Street Conspiracy.

It took me Monday night and Tuesday night walking home from work to read all about Dick Turpin on Wikipedia.

It may be geeky, but then all highly intelligent people are geeky. Einstein and Hawking were geeky.

I've learnt a lot, though. I could spend an hour answering your questions on Nelson's girlfriend right now.
Face out of your phone, Blackleaf. Situational awareness. Aside from that, well done. There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

You could answer my questions on Nelson's girlfriend in three seconds.

Reactions: Ron in Regina