The Fallacy of (some) CEO pay.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The left likes to say that if you can't afford to pay your employees a living wage, you can't afford to pay your CEO millions of dollars a year.

Robert Reich ( or as I like to call him, 3rd Reich Robert) busted out Walmart as an example where their CEO is pulling down about $6 million/yr. Now, while the average Walmart employees makes about $20,000/yr or $0.24 less an hour than their retail counterparts, they still make more than the minimum wage in most places.
Walmart employs 2.1 million worldwide. Walmart's pre-tax earnings in 2018 was $22 billion. Now, if Walmart decided to take all of those pre-tax earnings and equally distribute it to their 2.1 million employees as a raise, it would increase their annual income by about $10,000 per year. Now, while that seems like a nice bump we need to remember a few things. 1) The figures are based on pre-tax earnings, not profit. 2) $30,000/yr is still below a "living wage" and 3) It still doesn't come close to replacing all those $45,000+ per year manufacturing jobs that have been lost.
If Walmart decided to slash their CEO's compensation by half and distribute that $3 million out as raises for the employees, it works out to around $1.47/hr. Which means if Walmart's CEO worked for free and the $6 million was used to give raises to all their employees, it works out to less than $3/hr per employee.

Hardly the life changing wage increase the mathematically challenged leftists think it would be.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Here is what he actually makes

https://sbj.net/stories/walmart-ceos-compensation-rises,63562

the $15 million stock award and $5 million bonus is difficult to quantify in terms of taxes
Well, I got the $6 million from ol' 3rd Reich Robert, one of your Democrat buddies in the US.

And I guess you missed the point. If divvying up $22 billion isn't going to get the employees a living wage, then I have grave misgivings that $26 million will get them there.

In the US, except for two states, the lowest annual living wage needed to live is $50,000. It ranges from $50,000 to $70,000 depending on the state. If we use the lower $50,000 figure, Walmart would have to pull an annual profit of $105 billion and plough it all into raises just to get their employees to $50,000/yr. In 2018 their pre-tax earnings were only $22 billion.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The same argument could be made for welfare and social protection. We pay around $100 per month per capita here in Alberta

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Well, I got the $6 million from ol' 3rd Reich Robert, one of your Democrat buddies in the US.
And I guess you missed the point. If divvying up $22 billion isn't going to get the employees a living wage, then I have grave misgivings that $26 million will get them there.
In the US, except for two states, the lowest annual living wage needed to live is $50,000. It ranges from $50,000 to $70,000 depending on the state. If we use the lower $50,000 figure, Walmart would have to pull an annual profit of $105 billion and plough it all into raises just to get their employees to $50,000/yr. In 2018 their pre-tax earnings were only $22 billion.
Walmart makes $14.7 billion a year in profits. It would equal about $7,000 a year for 2.2 million employees.
https://moneynation.com/how-much-money-does-walmart-make/