The Definition of Platitude

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
At least with the Far Right Fringe you know where you stand. Jake will open up a breakfast shop beside a firing range and call it Beer, Brunch and Bullets. But at least you have the choice to patronize his business or just walk away.

The Far Left Fringe are into our schools promoting anal sex information to 7 year olds...etc. far more insidious than the right wing kooks.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It's also worth saying that a common tactic these days in pushing one's own agenda is to sow distrust among experts in a given field, the environmental and health fields are big targets these days.
Ah yes, the non-existent yet frequently pushed "97% consensus". Pssst, 32% does NOT equal 97% no matter how hard you massage the numbers. As for health professionals, when doctors are being kicked out of the practice JUST because their observations don't align with the narrative, why would I trust the narrative?
There used to be a time when intelligence was respected, now it's treated like a threat. That, in my opinion, is a huge step backwards.
There used to be a time when science wasn't based on funded results. There used to be a time when scientists could speak up and speak out about the shit they know without fear of censure, or worse. There used to be a time when scientists could openly challenge theories, now they won't challenge anything scientific that has become political; like AGW and gender fluidity, for example.

Reactions: taxslave

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I remember in the days after Trump got elected, my brother showed up on my doorstep for a game of chess.

When I opened the front door I simply said..."Americans are resilient". To which he angrily replied..."Americans are fu*king retarded."

And that was it. We butt heads on politics, so we both kept it short and moved on to other conversations.

But it was quite revealing. His take in a nutshell was if you didn't vote for Hillary...well...you were retarded. Were many millions upon millions of Americans retarded? Really??

And that attitude by my Lefty brother is exactly why Trump got elected...voters were fed up with the platitudes, sanctimoniousness, self-righteousness, arrogance...etc of the Democrats.

So I was conciliatory by stating 'Americans are resilient'. I was being reasonable while my brother was acting sucky and churlish because he didn't get his way.

We both only said one short sentence to each other on the American election issue, but oh how striking and revealing those comments were!

(I come from a family of 7 and I'm the only right-leaning one in the bunch. They are all University educated with degrees and diplomas coming out of their ears. but Mom always told me i was the brightest light in the family. It's possible she just felt sorry for me as i have less education than my siblings, or she could have meant it...I'm not sure.)
on the news, there was an elderly woman who just graduated. its never too late. :)

Reactions: Mowich

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
A platitude is a trite, meaningless, or prosaic statement, often used as a thought-terminating cliché, aimed at quelling social, emotional, or cognitive unease.[1] The statement may be true, but its meaning has been lost due to its excessive use.[2]

Platitudes have been criticized as giving a false impression of wisdom, making it easy to accept falsehoods:

A platitude is even worse than a cliché. It’s a sanctimonious cliché, a statement that is not only old and overused but often moralistic and imperious. ... [P]latitudes have an aphoristic quality, they seem like timeless moral lessons. They therefore shape our view of the world, and can lull us into accepting things that are actually false and foolish.[
The definition of 'Sanctimonious'...

"Making a show of being morally superior to other people."
The definition of 'Self-righteousness'

Self-righteousness, also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness and holier-than-thou attitudes is a feeling or display of moral superiority derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person.
The definition of 'Arrogant'...

"Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities"
sorry i mistakenly thought that this thread was about the posters. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Hoof Hearted