The Beer Review Thread

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I saw the ad on TV. Before that I'd seen the brother and sister team, a pair of young entrepreneurs from Calgary, talking about their fine-craft-brewed beer that only cost a buck a can. Craft-brewed for high quality. I thought, "Hey, I wonder..."

So last night I picked up a 24-can flat of Minhas Creek, reasoning that it shouldn't be any worse than any other Canadian lager. It might, I thought, even measure up to the craft-brewed Two Rivers Red that I depend on to provide so many of my essential nutrients.

I was wrong. I'm desperately trying to choke down the rest of this so I have room in the fridge for some real beer.

I'd like to say that it tastes like re-fried monkey piss, but that would infer that it actually had some taste. The only discernible flavour in a Minhas Creek Lager is the slightly tinny aftertaste left in a drinker's mouth because it is only available in cans.

I wonder about the "craft-brewed" part too. According to the can Minhas Creek is imported. According to a friend who just e-mailed me about my obsession with this crap it is brewed in Wisconsin then canned in Calgary. No wonder it's flavourless...it comes from the country that gave us Bud Light.

If you like beer, don't buy this stuff. It's watery, flavourless, tasteless and just generally such an inferior product that is an embarassment to the Canadian beer industry. If you want to buy beer for a buck each, lobby your local microbrewery to drop their prices.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I saw the ad on TV. Before that I'd seen the brother and sister team, a pair of young entrepreneurs from Calgary, talking about their fine-craft-brewed beer that only cost a buck a can. Craft-brewed for high quality. I thought, "Hey, I wonder..."

So last night I picked up a 24-can flat of Minhas Creek, reasoning that it shouldn't be any worse than any other Canadian lager. It might, I thought, even measure up to the craft-brewed Two Rivers Red that I depend on to provide so many of my essential nutrients.

I was wrong. I'm desperately trying to choke down the rest of this so I have room in the fridge for some real beer.

I'd like to say that it tastes like re-fried monkey piss, but that would infer that it actually had some taste. The only discernible flavour in a Minhas Creek Lager is the slightly tinny aftertaste left in a drinker's mouth because it is only available in cans.

I wonder about the "craft-brewed" part too. According to the can Minhas Creek is imported. According to a friend who just e-mailed me about my obsession with this crap it is brewed in Wisconsin then canned in Calgary. No wonder it's flavourless...it comes from the country that gave us Bud Light.

If you like beer, don't buy this stuff. It's watery, flavourless, tasteless and just generally such an inferior product that is an embarassment to the Canadian beer industry. If you want to buy beer for a buck each, lobby your local microbrewery to drop their prices.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg