Tensions rise in Mideast over Cartoons

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
It seems when it comes to cartooning or art for that matter. There's a fine line between parody and insult. The example below are the pictures that's causing all of the Ruckus. Now don't tell me Ye Olde Christian Right would not get upset to see another country depict Jesus that way. Whos to say how one would react? Now while I do not find all of the submitted pictures insulting, some I could say were created with the intent to stir the pot.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jo Canadian said:
Now while I do not find all of the submitted pictures insulting, some I could say were created with the intent to stir the pot.

Stir the pot as in "The Last Temptation of Christ"? Jesus being sodomized in paintings? The Divinity exhibition at the Whitney Museum? What should christians do in these circumstances that would justify their actions? They protest for a week and thats the end of it.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Stir the pot as in "The Last Temptation of Christ"? Jesus being sodomized in paintings? The Divinity exhibition at the Whitney Museum? What should christians do in these circumstances that would justify their actions? They protest for a week and thats the end of it.

Hey, I liked "The Last Temptation of Christ" It was unusual and a good story, besides that I'd agree that the sodomy paintings were are just as bad, but since I didn't see them I don't know what they were representing...A poke at the faith (stirring the pot) or an rude analasys on the abuse of what was origionally (and still is in a few sects)a kind religion.

Besides the difference between the paintings and the cartoons was that the paintings are in a gallery, those who knew they were there could go. The muslem cartoons were published in a public magazine and paper. My point is is that if those paintings were published on a similar scale to the muslem cartoons...in a different country, there certainly would be Hell to pay...Pun intended.

Personally I think it's stupid to react in the way that many have done with the cartoons, the riots and such. I could understand ambassadors having very cold relations afterwards, But car burning? Death threats? That's just a juvinille way of handleing it....Let's not forget Van Gogh who was recently murdered over a the film a couple of years ago either.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Tensions rise in Mideast over Cartoons

Jo Canadian said:
Toro said:
Better make sure you've got your insurance paid up, Jo.

:scratch: Ok, Now I'm confused.

Well, you posted the cartoons....

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
For a variety of reasons people in the Middle East are very upset with the public publication of these cartoons. I am sure they would be just as unhappy if they found them on this site.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
sanch said:
For a variety of reasons people in the Middle East are very upset with the public publication of these cartoons. I am sure they would be just as unhappy if they found them on this site.

I agree. I thought of that when posting them. But I am not posting them in jest, or to be insolent. My reasoning was that many don't know what the images are, and it helps to understand a problem when you see the source. As long as our analysis on the situation is cordial, intelligent, and at least discussed like adults without bias I see nothing wrong with that.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Jo Canadian said:
I agree. I thought of that when posting them. But I am not posting them in jest, or to be insolent. My reasoning was that many don't know what the images are, and it helps to understand a problem when you see the source. As long as our analysis on the situation is cordial, intelligent, and at least discussed like adults without bias I see nothing wrong with that.

None of those were offensive. I thought they were pictures of Muhammad sodomizing goats or something, from the way people were reacting... Cripes, most of them aren't even funny, they're just pictures.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
None of those were offensive.

:? Of course not, you have to try view this from a muslems point of view before coming to a conclusion.

I see the vile looking mohammad brandishing a scimitar with two Burkhad women and his eyes covered not to be offensive from my point of view, but as a statement on the treatment of others from a sect in the religion.

HOWEVER from a muslem point of view, especially from ones that equalize with women and actually follow the peaceful path of mohammads teachings I'd be insulted because I'm being lumped into the same group that have bastardized his teachings to fit a violent agenda. And I would be aware that's how the rest of the world may be interpreting something that I would hold dear

It would be similar to being insulted by someone assuming my christianity to be the same as the Klu Klux Klans perceptions on the faith, because that's how christians are represented where that person comes from.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Jo Canadian said:
None of those were offensive.

:? Of course not, you have to try view this from a muslems point of view before coming to a conclusion.

You see, I don't agree with that. I believe that since all humans are equal, and I can shrug off an offensive cartoon, everyone else can as well. If I advocated bombing embassies everytime I saw an anti Seal Hunt cartoon or read an article mocking Christianity, I'd be a wacko. Suck it up Islam, petty insults are no need for childish, violent reactions.

Besides, the only reason this is such a big deal is because the leaders and rabble-rousers of these countries are riling their people
up against the cartoons to take their mind off their real problems. When you're burning the flags of the Western Newspaper Devils you're not wondering "why aren't we allowed to vote? And why are our women getting stoned to death?" Misdirection works wonders.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
No depictions of Allah in any form are allowed under Islam so publishing them is an affront to their faith. They are not only worried about content which no doubt aggravated the response here.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Wednesday's Child said:
Seems like the militant Islamists are always cranky about something....

If they don't like a piece of news, or an article, or in this case a depiction of caricture (or cartoon)...they have some doofus rule they just whipped up in their religion.

Islam certainly doesn't bring much peace and serenity to its followers. Paranoid delusion seems to be the result of all this heavy devotion.

True, same with all the rest of religions.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
sanch said:
No depictions of Allah in any form are allowed under Islam so publishing them is an affront to their faith..

And eating beef is against the Hindu faith. Should they invade Canadian embassies because we eat beef? Islamic religious law does not apply to Denmark, so why should they be punished for publishing pics of Muhammad?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
A :roll: ctually, it's only recently that this has hit the news. Why? Because of the violence. If anyone took time to look into it, the cartoons were first published near the beginning of December, there were protests and disagreements with them then, but it was done in a civilized manner and was dealt with as a regular complaint should. But since there was no raping and pillaging it wasn't newsworthy was it?

Anyways all people are created equal, but we are all not clones. You cant go say that if it doesn't bother you it shouldn't bother me. People react differently to different situations, and it has nothing to do with the equality thing...That's just a cop out to not understand the issue at hand.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Jo Canadian said:
A :roll: ctually, it's only recently that this has hit the news. Why? Because of the violence. If anyone took time to look into it, the cartoons were first published near the beginning of December, there were protests and disagreements with them then, but it was done in a civilized manner and was dealt with as a regular complaint should. But since there was no raping and pillaging it wasn't newsworthy was it?

And I'm fine with the disagreements as long as they are civilized. It's when they become violent and nonsensical that I take offense.

Jo Canadian said:
Anyways all people are created equal, but we are all not clones. You cant go say that if it doesn't bother you it shouldn't bother me. People react differently to different situations, and it has nothing to do with the equality thing...That's just a cop out to not understand the issue at hand.

I'm not saying that since I'm not bothered, you shouldn't be. What I'm saying is that, if I can see something that offends me, and refrain from reacting violently and irrationally, so can the next guy. It's a personal choice to invade EU offices instead of writing an angry letter or protesting to show your feelings. If you make that choice, for whatever reason, you can't expect to be vindicated simply because you "react differently" to a certain picture.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Doryman said:
sanch said:
No depictions of Allah in any form are allowed under Islam so publishing them is an affront to their faith..

And eating beef is against the Hindu faith. Should they invade Canadian embassies because we eat beef? Islamic religious law does not apply to Denmark, so why should they be punished for publishing pics of Muhammad?

I was just responding to the argument being made for posting the cartoons on this site. It can be an intellectual discussion as long as you are not the target of the outrage. And none of the arguments for civilized behaviour and such would be that convincing if you catch my drift.

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Well, face it. None of the Nordic countries could be defined as very religious, jokes about all religions occur frequently, even though religions of those with darker skin should be presented by themselves (which also occur frequently).

Is it suitable to portrait muhammed with a bomb? Well, doe´s any of his followers use boms in such fachion that we have a reason to joke about it? My opinion is that things not worth joking about is not worth mentioning at all...

It is also clear that the freedom of speech, freedom of the press and its indisputable strong significance in a democracy is not as clear for people with no, or little, tradition of just that.

To all this you can add the extreme collective approach to something that a couple of Danish journalist are responsible for, and why are we surprised? What makes the media tick is confrontation and conflict. If you don´t have´m - make´m!
Then report of "danes" hating "muslims" and exaggerate every possible result/aspect of the original bullshit...