Tattoos!!!

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! Cosmos

I don't have any problem with my talking. I guess I can thank my Mom for that. Everytime I was "lazy" .... my Mom used to make me wear the dish cloth right across the face.

So, I learned. I have no impediment at all.

Most people who noticed my scar just asked if I got hit in the mouth with a hockey puck.

My identical twin was born the same way. His scar is much more noticeable than mine.
Also, his son was born with the deformity as well.
We were the only identical twins born in North America with a hare-lip and cleft palate and who survived. They fed us with an eye-dropper because we could not be breast fed.
A doctor came out of retirement to do the operation in 1949 at Toronto Sick Kids.
The Ontario government paid for the doctors.
The Shriner's Club paid for all the speech therapy and stuff.
I had free tickets to every Shriner Circus that came to town.
The Kinsmen Club paid for transportation from Sudbury to Toronto for years and years.

Calm

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! Cosmos

I don't have any problem with my talking. I guess I can thank my Mom for that. Everytime I was "lazy" .... my Mom used to make me wear the dish cloth right across the face.

So, I learned. I have no impediment at all.

Most people who noticed my scar just asked if I got hit in the mouth with a hockey puck.

My identical twin was born the same way. His scar is much more noticeable than mine.
Also, his son was born with the deformity as well.
We were the only identical twins born in North America with a hare-lip and cleft palate and who survived. They fed us with an eye-dropper because we could not be breast fed.
A doctor came out of retirement to do the operation in 1949 at Toronto Sick Kids.
The Ontario government paid for the doctors.
The Shriner's Club paid for all the speech therapy and stuff.
I had free tickets to every Shriner Circus that came to town.
The Kinsmen Club paid for transportation from Sudbury to Toronto for years and years.

Calm

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Calm, how fortunate for you! Wow. Thanks for sharing that. I find peoples' life experiences endlessly fascinating. I guess that's partly why I love tattoos so much ... gives me an opening to ask questions that I would otherwise not be afforded.

One of the reasons I particularly love my labrys tattoo (a double headed axe the Amazons once carried) is that it is one of the few outward signs that I am a dyke. I wear makeup, nail polish, heels, fur ... I don't look "typical" and find the majority of people I meet assume I am straight. I got the tattoo because I loved it (it's on my left arm between shoulder/elbow) but it has provided a pleasant by-product for me. It's not so much about advertising my identity as letting people know who I am up front. I've discovered many people get all uncomfortable when they assume I am straight and I tell them different. If they know right off there is no surprises. I've seen people going over, in their minds, what they've said to me after they find out my orientation. It's a bit of a pain.

My labrys is my strength talisman. I guess I could just wear a necklace or something, but somehow putting it in ink under my skin makes it a part of me. It somehow internalizes the symbology. As does my other tattoo ... a blue heron on the opposite arm. That is my talisman of calm, quiet patience. Blue Herons can stand motionless for hours, patiently waiting for fish. They are also powerful, beautiful and ancient looking. I lack patience and find carrying the symbol of that quality helps me remember to work toward it with grace and strength.

Each of my tattoos has this kind of meaning for me. It's almost a religion, in a sense. People do look at tattoos as some kind of "bad kid" image but anyone who is serious about their tattoos can articulate a deep and meaningful reason for having them. There are the "posers" who just get one because it's the "thing to do", but the majority of people I know with tattoos do so from a far more significant motivation.

That's my 2 cents worth. :)

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Calm, how fortunate for you! Wow. Thanks for sharing that. I find peoples' life experiences endlessly fascinating. I guess that's partly why I love tattoos so much ... gives me an opening to ask questions that I would otherwise not be afforded.

One of the reasons I particularly love my labrys tattoo (a double headed axe the Amazons once carried) is that it is one of the few outward signs that I am a dyke. I wear makeup, nail polish, heels, fur ... I don't look "typical" and find the majority of people I meet assume I am straight. I got the tattoo because I loved it (it's on my left arm between shoulder/elbow) but it has provided a pleasant by-product for me. It's not so much about advertising my identity as letting people know who I am up front. I've discovered many people get all uncomfortable when they assume I am straight and I tell them different. If they know right off there is no surprises. I've seen people going over, in their minds, what they've said to me after they find out my orientation. It's a bit of a pain.

My labrys is my strength talisman. I guess I could just wear a necklace or something, but somehow putting it in ink under my skin makes it a part of me. It somehow internalizes the symbology. As does my other tattoo ... a blue heron on the opposite arm. That is my talisman of calm, quiet patience. Blue Herons can stand motionless for hours, patiently waiting for fish. They are also powerful, beautiful and ancient looking. I lack patience and find carrying the symbol of that quality helps me remember to work toward it with grace and strength.

Each of my tattoos has this kind of meaning for me. It's almost a religion, in a sense. People do look at tattoos as some kind of "bad kid" image but anyone who is serious about their tattoos can articulate a deep and meaningful reason for having them. There are the "posers" who just get one because it's the "thing to do", but the majority of people I know with tattoos do so from a far more significant motivation.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
With this talk of talismans, does anybody here have birthmarks?

I was born with a birthmark that is in the shape of a cats paw on my right arm. It is distinctly a paw print.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I was born with a birthmark that is in the shape of a cats paw on my right arm. It is distinctly a paw print.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
So what your saying, Pea, is that you are a clone of your mother?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: Tattoos!!!

Twila said:

LOL ... um, Twila ... Pea should appreciate that comment. Of course we all live in fear of becoming our mothers!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Twila said:

LOL ... um, Twila ... Pea should appreciate that comment. Of course we all live in fear of becoming our mothers!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Twila said: