Sunday Shopping in Nova Scotia

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Ummm - "the unwashed masses" - odd, really. Did you vote in the plebescite? Were you in the province? Just an update - the majority is in favour of a ban. You make it seem like I'm alone in my opinions - I assure you that I am not. Resorting to insult, however indirect - it's weak. Once again, enjoy your shopping - it is apparently the highest of priorities.....so long OCDU, may your judgments continue in all their sweeping glory.

You continue to confuse allowing sunday shopping with forcing stores to be open. And the arbitrary rules about square footage for openings is simply a way for all of the powers that be to determine that the guy who works at a convenience store does NOT deserve a day of rest, while the guy who works at WalMart does. It's an arbitrary, unfair distinction. That's the whole point. It's unfair. It would be like ruling that new car lots cannot be open on Saturdays, but used car lots can. There is simply no foundation for the difference, therefore it is an unacceptable regulation.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think I understand the desire to preserve Nova Scotia's lifestyle. New Brunswick has had Sunday Shopping for some time:

"New Brunswick and the rest of the Atlantic provinces — excluding Nova Scotia — scored highest in terms of personal contentment. New Brunswick scored with 78.6 out of 100 as the happiest in the country, but just next door, Nova Scotia scored lowest at 72.8. Across Canada, the average came out at 75.6 out of 100."

So the idea is that people in Nova Scotia are discontent, but want to stay that way.

LoremIpsumDolor

Nov 5, 2006
Confusion Accused...

ummm ... again, really? okay, I’ll play along....

Fair eh? Well in the interest of fair, and using your definitions of fair, rights and arbitrary. Should not stores all be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week? And considering those who may not celebrate all of the holidays, should not the stores all be open those days as well? Ahh but the stores have that OPTION now you say. Indeed, but what of the rights of the consumer, how does this reconcile the right of the 12 hour day shifter who needs to buy groceries at 3:00am on New Years day? What of his rights? Whose rights are more important? The right of the consumer or the right of the business?

Be fair - be consistent, this would clear up the ‘used car’ analogy.

You see, this issue isn’t about FAIR, it’s not about RIGHTS, it’s about the individual need to buy and the corporate need to profit. It is a fact of nature law that fair to one person will without question be unfair to someone else. There must be a balance struck - there is nothing arbitrary about compromise. You have droned on about square footage etc. And as I’ve CLEARLY stated in the past (I guess you missed it) I could care less if they closed every store, bar, restaurant and gas station on Sundays (in the interest of fair - of course). But that’s not the point...(around which you seem to dance without having much of a real opinion of your own)...read on...

And I have confused NOTHING, you have (as per usual) again attempted to argue my point by placing words and opinions in my mouth. I have discussed this issue at length with numerous people - on both sides of the debate ... to date you are the only person who has argued a known and stated fact. It is fact, not confusion, that there exist across the province; stores that would otherwise choose to close - that have felt pressured (forced have you) to open simply to compete. This is not a confusion and has nothing to do with square footage. And as far as a day of rest goes - I don’t think deserve is a word that is even appropriate - we all REQUIRE a day of rest.....oh yes I know how restful shopping can be what with all the screaming children, angry shoppers, unhappy employees and high prices....quite a rest indeed.

If you wish to pick things from my argument to refute, please do. All I ask is that you begin to do it with intelligence, this could be a good discussion if you would stop trying to drum up falacies by rearranging my words. I understand that you are in favour of sunday shopping, and I have asked in the past that you explain the benefits of Sunday Shopping, state your position so to speak - I’m still waiting.

Interresting statistics you have quoted from....where? Your quote is irrelevant to this discussion... was the data for your stats collected before the Sunday Shopping started or after? Inane. I suppose you could imply that the survey was heavily weighted based on this one issue, but that too would be rediculous. Contentment would encompass social status, financial remuneration, employment, entertainment, family, government, etc. Get with the program, wow me with your opinion for a change - what is your position and why?

And please, it’s overtly obvious that you’re not a Bluenoser. Have you ever even been to our province? Our lifestyle is special, if I had to guess I’d place you somewhere in Southwestern or central Ontario.

LoremIpsumDolor

Nov 5, 2006
Confused Awe

I'm sorry, I just can't get past the fact that you have equated some random, unquantified statistic regarding our provincial contentment with Sunday Shopping, as though we would all be happier if we would simply silently embrace the cash register every Sunday morning.....I was going to laugh, but I was too busy shaking my head in disbelief ... I then wept ... in awe that such laugh-tacular reasoning can exist in such an 'enlightened' age as we live in. I applaud your bravery.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
ummm ... again, really? okay, I’ll play along....

Fair eh? Well in the interest of fair, and using your definitions of fair, rights and arbitrary. Should not stores all be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week?

They should have the OPTION to do so if they wish. Repeat after me: OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.

I think you have a hard time with this concept; you seem to have missed it over the last several months, so I'll repeat it:

OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. OPTION.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm sorry, I just can't get past the fact that you have equated some random, unquantified statistic regarding our provincial contentment with Sunday Shopping, as though we would all be happier if we would simply silently embrace the cash register every Sunday morning.....I was going to laugh, but I was too busy shaking my head in disbelief ... I then wept ... in awe that such laugh-tacular reasoning can exist in such an 'enlightened' age as we live in. I applaud your bravery.

Apparently, your ability to grasp humour has long escaped you as well. No wonder you need a day off each week.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I had my suspicions.

I apologize if your 'humour' was lost on me. It is apparent that intelligence is lost on you.

If your constant repeating of the same erroneous point is what you call intelligence, then, yes, it IS lost on me.

Attention all shoppers: People who work in Big Stores must be given Sundays off, to restore society. All other workers do not qualify. If this offends you, you are free to seek other work. That is all.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I just had a revelation, there Lorem. It's not the employees that you're worried about. It's the shoppers. I get it now: the kind of people who would actually shop at a Walmart on a Sunday are exactly the people who are most in need of Redemption; specifically, the Christian (ie, NOT JEWISH or SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST) Redemption that is available on Sundays. This is essential in order to re-establish the bucolic balance that is being distorted in present day Nova Scotia.

Being of long-standing Nova Scotia Scots Presbyterian descent myself, I think I understand this now. We need to educate all of those Sunday shoppers in the error of their ways.