Study Dumps on Canada's Environmental Record

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Study Dumps on Canada

Wow, that's an old report. I thought we dealt with it on here someplace already. Maybe that was another site.

Three things.

First of all, as I mentioned before, our politicians and business leaders use trade and the need for competition as an excuse to let pollution go on. It's not a good excuse, but it works.

Second of all, there is an argument made (one that I don't agree with at all) that you can't measure these things in percentages because the US has more pollution so its easier for them to improve.

It is easier for them to improve. So what? That doesn't negate the fact that we haven't improved.

Third of all, and this one does have some merit, studies like this are often skewed because they report on certain types of pollution and ignore others. Comprehensive reports like the one released by The David Suzuki Foundation (The Maple Leaf in the OECD) are much more valuable because they look at everything.

The Maple Leaf report is also more valuable because it does away with the argument that we have to pollute more because it's cold here. It is colder here than in the US, but The Maple Leaf in the OECD looks at other countries too...not just Canada and the US...so we can see that we are pollution pigs when compared to countries with similar climates.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I don't necessarily believe what the report says, since I found it on a Canadian news site, I figured I would post it. I didn't really find it all that old, it's only a month, anyways.

I'm more concerned at the moment we're having a thunderstorm in late November in NY right now 8O .

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"I'm more concerned at the moment we're having a thunderstorm in late November in NY right now ."

I can't be the first time this has happened.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't necessarily believe what the report says, since I found it on a Canadian news site, I figured I would post it. I didn't really find it all that old, it's only a month, anyways.

There have been a few more reports since then. Far more troubling is the one that found toxins in 11 people from all over Canada. The argument has been made that 11 people doesn't make for a scientific study. That's true, but the point of the report was to get the government or some other agency with the proper funding to carry out a scientific study, since such comprehensive testing is prohibitively expensive for a small organisation to carry out. Oddly enough, the government doesn't want such a study carried out.

I'm more concerned at the moment we're having a thunderstorm in late November in NY right now

We've had lightning storms here several times in the last five or six winters. That's very odd in Manitoba, one more sign of global warming.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Study Dumps on Canada's Environmental Record

Jay said:
"I'm more concerned at the moment we're having a thunderstorm in late November in NY right now ."

I can't be the first time this has happened.

As far back as I can remember, and that's far :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I was under the impression you have a hard time remembering yesterday.... :p

I remember in my youth warm winters.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now