‘Squad’ Immediately Calls To Pack Supreme Court Following Barrett Confirmation

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Why not, the Republicans packed it while they were in power...

Why is it that when the Republicans do something, and if the Dems seek to do the same, it's suddenly a *gasp* HORRIBLE THING...

Fuk off... I hope they do and it becomes a back and forth from that day forward. Because in the end, it's on the Republicans for starting it.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

No they didn't.. positions because available due to unfortunate passings of judges, and they replaced them.. that is not packing.

Currently the supreme court has 9 justices. The four apocalypse want to increase they to 12 so the can appoint 3 liberal justices once again turning the Supreme Court in the a activist branch of the government.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Why is it that when the Republicans do something, and if the Dems seek to do the same, it's suddenly a *gasp* HORRIBLE THING...
Fuk off... I hope they do and it becomes a back and forth from that day forward. Because in the end, it's on the Republicans for starting it.
Ya never know.

After Eisenhower left office, and interviewer asked him if he made any mistakes while President. Eisenhower replied "Yeah, two. And they're both on the Supreme Court."

He was speaking of Chief Justice William O. Douglas and Justice William Brennan.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Ya never know.
After Eisenhower left office, and interviewer asked him if he made any mistakes while President. Eisenhower replied "Yeah, two. And they're both on the Supreme Court."
He was speaking of Chief Justice William O. Douglas and Justice William Brennan.

Can you elaborate why? Did they end up voting Liberal and ol'Ike thought they were Conservative??

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Can you elaborate why? Did they end up voting Liberal and ol'Ike thought they were Conservative??
Pretty much. Douglas was responsible for Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, the school-desegregation case, and Brennan wrote dozens of "liberal" opinions, if you consider concepts like "a cop can't search you just for shits and giggles" to be liberal.

I don't even know what "liberal" and "conservative" mean anymore.

When did "equal justice under law" cease to be a conservative maxim?

How about "pay your debts?"

"Be a reliable ally?"

When did it become conservative to love the President of Russia and the Dictator of North Korea, and hate the Chancellor of Germany? I don't recall Reagan saying "Love you like a brother, Gorby; f*ck you, Helmut!"

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Pretty much. Douglas was responsible for Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, the school-desegregation case, and Brennan wrote dozens of "liberal" opinions, if you consider concepts like "a cop can't search you just for shits and giggles" to be liberal.
I don't even know what "liberal" and "conservative" mean anymore.
When did "equal justice under law" cease to be a conservative maxim?
How about "pay your debts?"
"Be a reliable ally?"
When did it become conservative to love the President of Russia and the Dictator of North Korea, and hate the Chancellor of Germany? I don't recall Reagan saying "Love you like a brother, Gorby; f*ck you, Helmut!"

By the sound of it the decisions were more constitutional vs partisan

Desegregation, Equal Justice under the Law.. sounds like he made Great choices.

Isn't that what Trump is trying to do with his selections.. constitutionalist justices?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
By the sound of it the decisions were more constitutional vs partisan
Desegregation, Equal Justice under the Law.. sounds like he made Great choices.
Isn't that what Trump is trying to do with his selections.. constitutionalist justices?
Not really. Trump is known for taking his list from the Federalist Society, a group who make no bones about the fact that they have a right-wing view of the law and the Constitution.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. Or rather, I have three, one on the so-called "liberal" side, one on the so-called "conservative" side, and one that's judicially conservative, which is a whole different thing from political conservatism.

There's plenty of things I'd like to see Congress do that I'd hate to see the Court do, because they're political decisions, not Constitutional or legal issues.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Not really. Trump is known for taking his list from the Federalist Society, a group who make no bones about the fact that they have a right-wing view of the law and the Constitution.
I don't really have a dog in this fight. Or rather, I have three, one on the so-called "liberal" side, one on the so-called "conservative" side, and one that's judicially conservative, which is a whole different thing from political conservatism.
There's plenty of things I'd like to see Congress do that I'd hate to see the Court do, because they're political decisions, not Constitutional or legal issues.

Well whatever happens to the courts and America's future really seems to be hinged on this election..

I just hope that after the election it is peaceful. I'm worried that there will be bad actors causing problems because they don't like the way the country voted.

Personally I would have liked to see Trump wrap Medicare and Medicaid into one new plan for everyone, and just like the UK, you can either go in the Government Health plan, which would cover basics, or stay on your Private Plan.

...and like British Columbia, if you want extras on the Government plan, drugs, dental, private rooms, you can purchase Blue Cross or some Private Health Care to cover that.

But he didn't // maybe who ever wins might do it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well whatever happens to the courts and America's future really seems to be hinged on this election..
I just hope that after the election it is peaceful. I'm worried that there will be bad actors causing problems because they don't like the way the country voted.
Personally I would have liked to see Trump wrap Medicare and Medicaid into one new plan for everyone, and just like the UK, you can either go in the Government Health plan, which would cover basics, or stay on your Private Plan.
...and like British Columbia, if you want extras on the Government plan, drugs, dental, private rooms, you can purchase Blue Cross or some Private Health Care to cover that.
But he didn't // maybe who ever wins might do it.
We call that the "public option." Works in Australia, too. About 70% of their people are on the public plan, and about 30% pick either "Cadillac" plans or plans that cover their special needs, like plans heavy on extra maternity and child benefits. Whatever we do, we could save a ton of money by just rationalizing our half-a-dozen different government health plans, plus all the private ones.

I favor doing it state by state, kind of a "laboratories of democracy" thing. Some states would choose single-payer, some would choose insurance supplements, some might could choose some sort of tax-benefit plan. Kinda like the countries in the EU.

Yeah, peaceful election. Everybody needs to dial it down, and get on board with "OK, we've all screamed and yelled our heads off. Time to go line up, step into the booth, and vote. After that we can get back to screaming and yelling."

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
We call that the "public option." Works in Australia, too. About 70% of their people are on the public plan, and about 30% pick either "Cadillac" plans or plans that cover their special needs, like plans heavy on extra maternity and child benefits. Whatever we do, we could save a ton of money by just rationalizing our half-a-dozen different government health plans, plus all the private ones.

Yup wish Canada had that..