Six Sigma Systems

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Because I was looking for some light reading over my morning coffee....

Six Sigma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure who this sort of thing might appeal to, but, I found the criticisms section of the Six Sigma System to be an interesting read after having read through the rest.

My husband is an ISO officer in his company and Six Sigma is the newest addition to their quality systems. He will likely be needing to train in this to a level of Master Black Belt. Lucky guy. lol.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In my experience, six sigma is simply a method to help improve processes, but unless the company is actually interested in the improvements, it becomes just another trendy business idea, that in the end goes nowhere.

I have dealt with too many companies that have ISO9001 processes and Six Sigma black belts, and yet, still find it impossible to identify and resolve significant quality issues.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In my experience, six sigma is simply a method to help improve processes, but unless the company is actually interested in the improvements, it becomes just another trendy business idea, that in the end goes nowhere.

I have dealt with too many companies that have ISO9001 processes and Six Sigma black belts, and yet, still find it impossible to identify and resolve significant quality issues.

Hubby's running into that issue, in that he's been hired by corporate of an international company, and is having to try to implement this stuff on a national level, to a bunch of guys who see no need or value. And the other nations already have incredibly well functioning quality systems in place, the standard to which he is being held when nationally the company won't commit resources to something they don't even want. Corporations rock. lol

So right now, they are strictly a quality company in theory.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I used to work for a large corp who had waves of designer QA programes in sequence. Trendy bussiness idea is spot on, usually sold as revolutionary breakthroughs in organization that will optimize production and profits, always found to be pure commercial hype easily dropped on the bewildered bean management types who have no idea what they're building or how. It is usuall found as TT says if there's no will there's no improvment. There's suckers born everyday and the suited ones are no more immune to the glitter. You can't get the quality nor the production without the experts who you've laid off a year ago. It was always deemed better to have it built somewhere else, like China. Does anyone remember Maxer?

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
I have been through the Six Sigma Yellow Belt training and have yet to be cerified, I have 2 months left to complete my buisness case and PIP and haven't a clue how to use half the tools, thankfully I have support from the other Yellow Belts and my Master Black Belt, but this needs to be completed on company time, unfortunatley they forget we have no time, your husband has his work cut out for him.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You have to maximize your time by compression and velocity. Try getting to the plant a little earlier like say five AM and why are you wasteing the weekends with your family. The team is depending on you.:smile: Does anyone remember that Japanese thing from the eightys?

todays tip-----sharpen your pencils before you leave home